June 11th, 2008

She may have a crush on Obama

Johansson is a fan of Obama.

Johansson is a fan of Obama.

(CNN) - Scarlett Johansson, it appears, has a crush on Barack Obama.

The Golden Globe-nominated actress, who has long been an Obama supporter, told the Politico on Tuesday she often e-mails the Illinois senator and is amazed he takes the time to write back.

“You’d imagine that someone like the senator who is constantly traveling and constantly ‘on’ — how can he return these personal e-mails?” she told Politico. “But he does, and in his off-time I know he also calls people who have donated the minimum to thank them. Nobody sees it, nobody talks about it, but it’s incredible.”

“I feel like I’m supporting someone, and having a personal dialogue with them, and it’s amazing," Johansson said.

Specifically, Johansson said she e-mailed Obama following the last Democratic debate in Pennsylvania, after which the moderators were criticized for focusing on trivial issues instead of more pressing matters. The Hollywood starlet said she wrote Obama to congratulate him for "holding his ground."

Watch Obama criticize the final debate

Johansson, who has previously joked she is engaged to the presumptive Democratic nominee, is one of Obama's more vocal supporters in Hollywood, having hosted prominent fundraisers on his behalf and taking a starring role in the Emmy-nominated "Yes We Can" video that's racked up millions of hits on YouTube.

The 23-year-old actress told the Politico she first met Obama at a private fundraising event last year, but has since met up with him several times on the campaign trail. She says she is approaching campaigning for him the same way she campaigns for other causes she believes in.

"I’m hoping to raise awareness,” she said. “I’m not telling people who to vote for, and I don’t expect that if I did it would swing votes. At least, I hope not. What I want to do is raise awareness of Obama and his policies, and share my own story of how I became involved in his campaign. Perhaps, if they’re a fan, my story might entice them to learn or spark their interest some other way. If I can answer questions or direct people to a website where they can get more information, that’s how I can help.”

1. james from brooklyn

I BET MONEY HANNITY IS GOING TO MAKE SOMETHING BAD ABOUT THIS ONE. AND WATCH THE GOP GOES AFTER HER COMPUTER TO SEE WHAT OBAMA MUST HAVE SAID. THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG SUMMER

June 11, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. Ilona Proud Canadian

Sarah,

Clayton from Atlanta,

Thank you for sharing your feelings. I, like Sarah, have a huge crush on Barack, and like you and your wife, my husband and I are both huge fans, except I am the bigger fan!

I think it is just the way Barack speaks to everyone, on their level, he just inspires anyone who really takes the time to listen to him.

And no it is not a CRUSH in a romantic sense, it really is difficult to explain. It's more like you've known this person all your life, he just makes you feel that you really matter in the big scheme of things.

I am a 65 year old white Canadian, and I am simply amazed at the way Barack really inspires people of all ages, but the way that he has inspired the young people, and the way that he has moved them to come out and exercise their right, to participate in the election process is something that I will always marvel at!

Good luck folks we are rooting for you!

June 11, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. s.b.

What a selfish bubbleheaded reason to support someone for POTUS.

June 11, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Boo Boo

Hey, Dummy
    You think your kazillions of dollars might have something to do with it???

June 11, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  5. Alicia

Uh – what straight man wouldn't e-mail Scarlett? Look out Michelle!

June 11, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  6. K

Enough already!

June 11, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  7. Lynn

Mo wonder he does not have solutions to the economy. He's too busy answering e-mails from young starlets. Reminds me of Marilyn Monroe.

June 11, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  8. Jeff

Wow, look at the bitter life that HRC and McCain supporters seem to live! Amazing how a little article like this sets them back down their bitter and miserable path. Guess you people forgot what it's like to actually be happy about things and not have every little item make you angry!

June 11, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  9. Tony, Miami

Nobody can get a crush on McSame even Cindy.

June 11, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. R.I.F.

CNN,

How about you talk about McCain's withdrawl of troops in Iraq "not being too important"? This guy definitly doesn't know foreign policy. We can have a presence in Iraq and not have some level of violence. It's not like Germany or Japan. These middle eastern nations just don't operate like that. Idiot.

June 11, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  11. Carol B., Virginia

And this is news? Meh....someone needs an ego check.

June 11, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  12. o'neenja

uh-oh...

here comes the kryptonite...

k.

June 11, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  13. Kim

Did he himself replied to her or one of his staff members?

June 11, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. Last Honest man

He's more like Clinton than I thought. Nothing like a good cigar.

June 11, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  15. Toni

Scarlett I liked you better when you were dating Josh. Starlets are always complaining about fans stalking them , yet,it looks like she's stalking Obama. I am sure Obama would not be returning emails to regular looking women,as a matter of fact the secret service would probably be keeping a watchful eye on them. I guess he is an elitist after all. By the way, if some pretty young thing would have made that remark about John Edwards or dare I say Bill, the media would have behaved differently. You are constantly showing your true colors.

June 11, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  16. Kenneth M

I HAVE A CRUSH ON Nancy Pelosi.

June 11, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  17. Hurley

Don't worry, McCain will soon win her over with that charming smile of his... yeeeeeargggh...

June 11, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  18. Tim

Political Groupies aren't new *or* news

June 11, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  19. Chris

I don't understand why if I Choose not to vote for Obama, that makes me a racist? That Obama supporters, is why you are pissing off the former Clinton supporters. I am a Democrat, who supported Clinton however, for the good of the Country, NOT THE PARTY, I will vote Democrat. I could care less if the Democratic Nominee was a Blind, Deaf, Pink He/She, as long as it is a Democrat. Well, Except for Scary Pelosi, then I would stay home. She is too much for me.
    -------–
    THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA!!!! VOTING ALONG PARTY LINES MUST STOP!!! We need to start voting with our heads, and sto letting the DNC and RNC tells us who to vote for. You don't for a democrat because you are a democrat, and you don't vote for a republican because you arer a republican! YOU VOTE FOR WHO YOU THINK IS BEST QUALIFIED TO RUN THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

June 11, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  20. Ken

Still for Hill

You are not. You're just another gooper playing the role of agitator.

June 11, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. Cate

Doesn't anyone remember a few months ago Ms. Johannson was reported right here on CNN to have stated she "was in love" with Barack Obama?

June 11, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  22. Down with Obama

Will in Richmond, VA June 11th, 2008 11:52 am ET

If she was crushing on McCain, we know he'd already have her phone number and be booking his private jet to go "connect" with her. He'll just wait for Cindy to catch a cold or something.

Ain't that right? How's your first wife doing McCain?
    ======================

LOL, why don't you ask Obama how Larry Sinclair is doing??????

June 11, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  23. john

Ofcourse Obama will reply to you Mrs. Johnson! No doubt about that! you are a celebrity and connected to a huge voting bloc in Hollywood as well as holding fundraiser events!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you guys think that if I email him now, he will respond???

ofcourse not!!!

i think CNN should do quality news reporting and abandon tabloid reporting

June 11, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  24. CATHY

If you were not an actress and a woman would he bother with you?

June 11, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  25. Mc Cain Dem

For me the choice is clear Roe – Wade or possibly honor killings.
    All the children need to grow up and start to value their FREEDOM !

June 11, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |