June 11th, 2008

She may have a crush on Obama

Johansson is a fan of Obama.

Johansson is a fan of Obama.

(CNN) - Scarlett Johansson, it appears, has a crush on Barack Obama.

The Golden Globe-nominated actress, who has long been an Obama supporter, told the Politico on Tuesday she often e-mails the Illinois senator and is amazed he takes the time to write back.

“You’d imagine that someone like the senator who is constantly traveling and constantly ‘on’ — how can he return these personal e-mails?” she told Politico. “But he does, and in his off-time I know he also calls people who have donated the minimum to thank them. Nobody sees it, nobody talks about it, but it’s incredible.”

“I feel like I’m supporting someone, and having a personal dialogue with them, and it’s amazing," Johansson said.

Specifically, Johansson said she e-mailed Obama following the last Democratic debate in Pennsylvania, after which the moderators were criticized for focusing on trivial issues instead of more pressing matters. The Hollywood starlet said she wrote Obama to congratulate him for "holding his ground."

Watch Obama criticize the final debate

Johansson, who has previously joked she is engaged to the presumptive Democratic nominee, is one of Obama's more vocal supporters in Hollywood, having hosted prominent fundraisers on his behalf and taking a starring role in the Emmy-nominated "Yes We Can" video that's racked up millions of hits on YouTube.

The 23-year-old actress told the Politico she first met Obama at a private fundraising event last year, but has since met up with him several times on the campaign trail. She says she is approaching campaigning for him the same way she campaigns for other causes she believes in.

"I’m hoping to raise awareness,” she said. “I’m not telling people who to vote for, and I don’t expect that if I did it would swing votes. At least, I hope not. What I want to do is raise awareness of Obama and his policies, and share my own story of how I became involved in his campaign. Perhaps, if they’re a fan, my story might entice them to learn or spark their interest some other way. If I can answer questions or direct people to a website where they can get more information, that’s how I can help.”

1. tj

Another supid Hollywood starlette.
    Brittney Spears also had crash on G.Bush

June 11, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. ree

Give me a break. Who cares.

Still not going to vote for him

June 11, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. vic nashville,Tn

Obama need this vote but White house need more bed room

June 11, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  4. Matt--Nebraska

Gawd.

Another fluff press piece for Obama.

Do you people have no pride?

I hope and pray there are enough people in America that are smart enough to see through Obama's lies.

June 11, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  5. Obama-Junkie, IL

Watch out Obama-girl, Scarlett has got the "looks", the fame and the fortune!

June 11, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  6. Karen

Who gives a flip about Hollywood.

June 11, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  7. scott

this is the big problem with this campain it is about romance and not brains, the bobots claim its about brains but the more you see the more it seems its just about Romance with the canadate. I know a few people that feel like they had a bad one night stand after super tuesday and felt alittle remorce. HOPE they did the wright thing.......

June 11, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  8. Banko

Obama is intouch with small and big donors. He really cares. This guy is the real deal.

June 11, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  9. Alizabeth

I crinch everytime a celebrity talk about our candidates, especially young stars. Not to mention what some of the gutter media would make of this story, perhaps using old days of JFK and Monroe as an anology. However, Scarlette is engaged to be married and an informed voter working for her candidate and hopefully does her own work without media hoohaha.

June 11, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  10. Mark Cary, NC

WHO CARES!!??!!

June 11, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  11. TXBad1

a Fatal attraction in the works, Obama, dude i'm not voting for you but stay away from that one!

June 11, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  12. Hill Supporter

As to all of the young women that voted for Obama, you will find that a hip, good-looking black man does not necessary translate to an experienced and electable candidate as Ms. Clinton would have been and still could be. Yes, I believe, women can sometimes forget what they are voting for. I remember when I was considerably younger and looked at John Kennedy with no real knowledge or understanding of what he or the Democratic party stood for, just that he looked good, gave nice speeches and pays attention to blondes, e.g., Scarlett Johansson; sound familiar?

June 11, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  13. rumpusgoopus

It's amazing how easy it is to predict what the comments will be like to this post.

June 11, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  14. Agnostic Democrat

Just make sure Slick Willy doesn't get her Email or meet up with her or Hillary will suffer another defeat. Hillary will have to keep Bill's leash very short, and Mr. Obama will need to dispatch him to the most remote areas to campaign on his behalf. No mixin' it up with starlets and Bill.

June 11, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  15. Sarah

I have a crush on him too!!

June 11, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  16. john

When I read this I thought to myself : here we go again with the stereotypical black male sexual prowness and its racist overtones.
    Shame on you. It won't work. Give it up right now. Report on substantiative stories rather than tabloid sensationalism.

June 11, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  17. Clayton from Atlanta

My wife is also a big fan. I'm a bigger fan...

As far as a crush, let's not get a rumor started...

June 11, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  18. kingsley

This is news worthy, and hope pundits and the idiots at fox news don't spin it in any other way than what it is

June 11, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  19. young obama supporter

a woman supporting obama now all the hillary supporters can stop whining on the blogs it's really getting old. all those supporters wasn't real democrats who are voting for McCain. When you see your rights get taken from you when it comes to abortion you'll feel stupid for voting for him.

June 11, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  20. Axis of Evil - OBAMA

Just as long as she stops singing, I dont care whats he does.

June 11, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  21. Scott, Newport KY

Obama takes the time to personally return email messages from pretty young starlets. The next thing we know, she'll be buying him ties and showing him her thong underwear.

June 11, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  22. Look Byond

The senator is young at heart.
    He has been doing this all his life, helping people, listening to people and reaching out to people.

We have in our hands a superb personality who wants to change Washington and bring back this country to where it belongs.
    "THE SUPERPOWER"

We have to stand behind him no matter what happens. We the people need to stand behind him, likewise the democratic party. Whether we are conservative or liberal democrats, we need to put aside our differences and look at the similarities.
    We need to support our party, be it a white or black person and no matter our race or culture, divided we fall and united we stand.

WE MUST UNITE AND BE IN ONE ACCORD.
    I APPEAL TO ALL DEMOCRATS,YOUNG ,OLD, CONSERVATIVE OR LIBERAL.

We must take back our country and we must take back the white house.

We cannot afford another 4 years of Bush administration, which Mccain-Bush will carry on.

WE CAN'T LET THIS HAPPEND TO OUR DEAR COUNTRY.

June 11, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  23. Eva, VA

She is not alone...join the club.

June 11, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  24. Heidi

JUST KEEP IT CLEAN...WE DON'T NEED THE MEDIA MAKING THIS INTO A "MONICA LEWINSKY" SCANDAL.

June 11, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  25. Independent (Ex-Democrat) in Iowa

You've got to be kidding me. People would vote for him because of a crush (or at least it starts there?!).

Ewww.