June 12th, 2008

Carville: Gore would make a great vice president...again

Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.
Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN Wednesday that former Vice President Al Gore should reprise his role as the No. 2 on a Democratic ticket.

“I think if I was Senator Obama I would say the biggest economic problem we face is the biggest national security problem and the biggest environmental problem,” Carville told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on the Situation Room. “And if I were him, I would ask Al Gore to serve as his vice president, his energy czar, in his administration to reduce our consumption and reliance on foreign energy sources.

“That would send a signal to the world, to American people, to Congress, to everybody, that America's getting serious about this horrendous problem that we face.”

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Later, the political strategist – who supported Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid – admitted he’d rather see her name on the ballot under Obama’s this fall. “Obviously, I would be delighted if he picked Senator Clinton. I'm trying to be provocative in one sense,” said Carville.

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett dismissed the idea. “It's been said that the vice presidency isn't worth a bucket of - you know the rest of the line. To do it twice, I don't know that someone would want to do it twice. He's been there, done that.” He added that Gore would probably not want to put himself “in a subordinate role” – and that Obama needed a foreign policy expert as his running mate.

Both Carville and Bennett are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

agreed.....

June 11, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  2. lil

We really need you.

June 11, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  3. Ardnuas

Gore would make a GREAT Supreme Court Justice!!!!!!
    Obama/Hagel

June 11, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  4. Brian Knoxville, TN

That would be just perfect: the person who embodies the Democratic slogan "count every vote" can balance the ticket of the person who stopped voting in Florida and Michigan and who blew off the voters key swing states like West Virginia, the person who took delegates he did not earn in order to sleaze off with a nomination he does not deserve... the person who destroyed the moral high-ground of the Democratic Party. Carville's on to something!

PUMA PAC

June 11, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  5. Mike

Anyone who is Obamas VP is receiving a slap in the face; everyone that I've heard mentioned has more credibility than Obama.

Don't do it Gore!

June 11, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  6. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

McMothball has finally napalmed in his depends! We are all going to have to excuse him while changes out those disposables to cleaner fresher ones!

June 11, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  7. What?

Ummm......No.

June 11, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  8. erica

al gore would be great as vice president

hopefully he'll consider it despite him wanting the top spot, that has to be an awful feeling to know you're almost "best" at number 2.

June 11, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  9. Ann Romero

It would be better to have Al Gore as President and Obama as the number 2 man. Why would Al Gore even go there? He's been there before and when it came time for him to be number one he failed because of the voting issue in Florida as you all know so well.

Hillary Clinton would have been the number one except for the rules committee making the wrong choice. Clinton supporters will remember in November and some of us will stay home.

Also if they consider John Kerry as VP, that another mistake who was a loser from the get go.

June 11, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  10. Democrat in LA

I had the same thought over the last couple of days. I hope it happens.

June 11, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  11. martin

gore would be good,but,we're still at war with bin laden,so ,my choice is wesley clark.

June 11, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  12. Agnostic Democrat

And Carville has been correct in his predictions how many times this year? He's one of those pond scum leftovers from the 90s along with his right-wing nutjob wife, Mary Matlin. They deserve each other and should go into hiding leaving the rest of us to have a healthy political debate without their poisonous contribution. They are so yesterday and old school politics and clearly don't "get" today's political landscape.

June 11, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  13. Arkansas Undertaker

I used to like James Carville, but here lately, all he does is tick me off roaylly. He is such an angry and bitter person.

And he is to confrontational. Get a life man.

WE REALLY APPRECIATE AND WELCOME ALL HILLARY CLINTON SUPPORTERS. THIS IS A VERY WISE THING YOU ARE DOING!

GOD BLESS YOU AND WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA/CLINTON 2008

June 11, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  14. tony

I will support Mr.Obama no matter his VP pick!

June 11, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  15. Mark Henderson

Al Gore may not want to be VP again and who could blame him. However, he would be a great replacement on the team vetting candidates for the VP slot. Theraafter, he should be given the choice of running the EPA or the Department of the Interior.

June 11, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  16. Dan , TX

Gore has far too many important things to do to be vice president. He' s a Nobel Laureate for heaven's sake. Why would he want to be smeared by the republicans for the next however, many years.

June 11, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  17. Sam Houston, GA

If not VP, then definitely a major cabinet position to help this country. Thank God he is one of the politicians that REALLY cares about this country.

June 11, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  18. Carol, San Luis Obispo, CA

Carville is right. Al Gore would make a great VP. But he's done that and has moved forward. I can envision Al Gore having some level of involvement in an Obama administration, but not as Obama's running mate. Gore's talents and strengths can be best utilized to advance Obama's policy. I can also envision John Edwards as a cabinet member leading the battle for universal health care. But Al Gore as VP. No. Nice thought, but no.

Clark would make an interesting VP candidate. It would be tough for the Republican ticket to say the Democrat ticket has no military background, experience or expertise.

June 11, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  19. What if?

OK, CNN........still waiting on the news....

June 11, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  20. Lynn

I give Gore credit he did not endorse anyone. I receive e-mails from his global warming website and participate in some of his programs. I voted for him for President and I believe he really won. We would not be in this mess today if he would have been President. But again I will not vote for Obama unless Hillary is on the ticket. Plain and simple. I don't like the way the DNC, media, SD crown him the nominee before the primaries was over. Hillary is the best candidate for President. But tell you the truth I don't really want her to be on his ticket, but I will support her.

June 11, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  21. Alex B.

That would be such an insult to Gore. Having to serve in the #2 spot behind an unqualified candidate!

I can't wait for Nov to vote for McCain!!!!!!!!

June 11, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  22. Carol

Usually I think Carville is a lunatic, but I think Gore would be a good VP too.

June 11, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  23. Debra

Gore as VP would be great but I don't think it will happen.

June 11, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  24. Dems be dopes

If you are good at doing nothing, and he is, he is clearly your best choice!

June 11, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  25. Esther

Sen. Obama must be pick up one of his team group and superdelegates supporters! Media and his leadership NEW PARTY DEMOCRAT start say that his is the new boss of the party, so, why have to look all and traditional Washington people?
    Look like the "famous change" it was just WORDS.... ahh every day i am more dissapoint voter!

June 11, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |