June 12th, 2008

Carville: Gore would make a great vice president...again

Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.
Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN Wednesday that former Vice President Al Gore should reprise his role as the No. 2 on a Democratic ticket.

“I think if I was Senator Obama I would say the biggest economic problem we face is the biggest national security problem and the biggest environmental problem,” Carville told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on the Situation Room. “And if I were him, I would ask Al Gore to serve as his vice president, his energy czar, in his administration to reduce our consumption and reliance on foreign energy sources.

“That would send a signal to the world, to American people, to Congress, to everybody, that America's getting serious about this horrendous problem that we face.”

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Later, the political strategist – who supported Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid – admitted he’d rather see her name on the ballot under Obama’s this fall. “Obviously, I would be delighted if he picked Senator Clinton. I'm trying to be provocative in one sense,” said Carville.

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett dismissed the idea. “It's been said that the vice presidency isn't worth a bucket of - you know the rest of the line. To do it twice, I don't know that someone would want to do it twice. He's been there, done that.” He added that Gore would probably not want to put himself “in a subordinate role” – and that Obama needed a foreign policy expert as his running mate.

Both Carville and Bennett are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. B. H.

I don't see that happening. However, I feel that he should be a key advise in Obama Cabinet...In orther words...His International CZAR. Create a new role that has barganing power and prestigue, which answers to OBAMA only

June 11, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  2. maynard

I think Obama should do some serious thinking and ask Al Gore for
    the V,P, spot Al Gore is a very knowledgable person when it comes to politics. I would fell a lot better having him as V.P. than getting the Clinton clan back into the picture. If Clinton gets the V.P. spot Obamas back will have to be watched 24-7 because someone will try do him in so the V.P. gets to run the country

June 11, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  3. J Williamson

Here's a thought all the good politically correct people couldn't dare utter: Gore for president and Obama for Vice-president. Oh dear, is this individual saying that Gore is MORE qualified? Er, yes, I am. Any other questions?

June 11, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  4. Steven

If Gore would accept the offer I think it would be an absolutely brilliant move. He is not just simply a nobel prize winner and a cutting edge environmental activist, but also brings so much experience to the table. I usually cannot stand Carville, but I have to agree with him on this one. There are only positives with a Obama/Gore ticket. And I am certain it would unite the party. I just hope Gore is willing to do it and not insulted by the need for him on the ticket.

Obama/Gore08!

June 11, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  5. Nafiadi

putting AlGore on no.2 spot will carry Mr. Barack Hussein Obama to Oval office.

June 11, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  6. Thomas

Oh my God, two left extremists heading the largest economy in the world. Should be a fun ride ...

June 11, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  7. spike

I think a Gore VP would result in a sure-fire victory in November – A lot of Americans know that he was the rightful winner in 2000, and a lot of people think "if only that had happened instead of the last 8 years..."

Plus he's incredibly popular within the Democratic Party, and he's won an Oscar, a Nobel Peace Prize and he's slowly saving the planet.

And with Obama being a newbie, Gore's experience would put people at ease.

Unfortunately, I don't think Gore would accept being VP again because it would be seen as back-tracking, which is a shame, he could accomplish more for his cause in that position – I mean, it is the second most powerful position in politics.

Most telling is that Gore wasn't on Obama's shortlist so he isn't being formally considered.

June 11, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  8. Amy

What? VP for Obama?

June 11, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  9. Anna- feminist Ohio

No way, does he really want to be a two time loser?
    If obama loses he needs to go down by himself so he doesnt make the party look bad. If a senior member of the party goes down with him then it would be really bad considering all the good things we had working for us this election.

Gore should be the Sec of Energy.

June 11, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. BROOKLYN

Why would someone a thousand times more qualified to Govern our Nation take orders from someone with no experience what so ever?

We love Gore but he is not stupid... His message is being heard.

Obama needs him, he does not need Obama...

June 11, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  11. Carly

I think Obama should pick Sam Nunn! Steal Georgia and a handful of other southern states away from McCain and there'll be nothing he can do. :)

June 11, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Gore would be great but I doubt he would do it. But it would be cool if he did!

June 11, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  13. Together we can

Hillary Supporters: I am a hillary supporter and just wanted to say one critical thing. From the beggining I have donated countlessly to Hillary's campaign, financially and actively on the lines so when these so called hillary clinton supporters start whining and complaining about her loss, I wonder if they ever gave a dime or supported her in any substantial way. I'm on a fixed income and have been criticized countlessly from family and friends. But you know what, now I'm going to support Obama because he and hillary share the same views.

In conclusion, to all supporters, no matter whom you support put your money and your support where your mouth is and stop complaining. Hillary lost fair and square. I be darn if my nephew has to spend another tour in iraq again under McCain Admin.

DEMS 08

June 11, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  14. Larry in TX

Yeah, sure, and the slogan would be "Vote for Blood and Gore."

June 11, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  15. john texas

its these moments in history where how we react to growing threats to our existences will determine what those after us willhave toface ..We need to be openminded to change as things require change never hesitate to live inconvenience so that others may have a chance to have a life of convenience gobarack08

June 11, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  16. TESAP

I agree.......... he would

June 11, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  17. Franky

Ohhh HELL NO!!!!! If I didn't like him in the past, what makes you think I like him now??? HELL NO!!!!!

June 11, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  18. Marge Hibbing Mn

Didn't FDR win 4 terms.

June 11, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  19. Belle

Yeah!! Good luck with that.

June 11, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  20. Len Smith

If Al Gore accepted the VP position, I would vote for Obama in a heart beat. Otherwise, I am not too sure who I will vote for President.

June 11, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  21. Arden

I dont think Gore would want to do the V.P. job again. He really seems happy doing what he is doing. Besides, he can do more for Obama's campaign doing what he is doing than becoming a V.P. nominee. I could be wrong. I have been reading about all the possibles for the dem. v.p. and I feel very strongly towards Sen. Joe Biden. He has the experience and the knowledge to take on the GOP/John McCain and a President Obama could feel comfortable turning to him for that last minute decision. But it 's up to President Obama.

June 11, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  22. California Voter

I think some individuals can do more for this country outside the political area – - Gore and Carter have both been better as "private citizens".

Obama/Clinton

June 11, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  23. Tom

James you sly dog, are you trying to bait the Obama campaign into picking someone who has not only lost already but may actually be a bit farther left than even Obama, thereby making sure that Obama loses? If so, as a Hillary dem voting for McCain, I congratulate your thought process!! By all means, Mr. Obama, go with Gore – you can't lose!! (grin)

June 11, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  24. Lance

Actually Gore would have been a great presidential nominee. Now I have to pick between my political hero who for the past two years has been destroying my confidence in his maverick status or a tax and spend liberal who scares me at least once a week with his 50+ billion dollar plans to save the american people (you know mortgage bailout, universal health care, and unemployment/stimulus package).

I mean universal health care is an important goal for the US to strive for but if Obama keeps his campaign promises then I hope we are all prepared for the dollar to be worth about the same as the peso.

June 11, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  25. ben

Obama doesn't want Al Gore for VP, and Al Gore doesn't want the office either. Obama surely doesn't want Hillary and I have no idea what she wants. What he needs is for both of these good democrats to help him every way possible to get rid of the republican dominance of the white house. As for Carville, when did anybody pay any attention to this man?

June 11, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |