June 12th, 2008

Carville: Gore would make a great vice president...again

Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.
Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN Wednesday that former Vice President Al Gore should reprise his role as the No. 2 on a Democratic ticket.

“I think if I was Senator Obama I would say the biggest economic problem we face is the biggest national security problem and the biggest environmental problem,” Carville told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on the Situation Room. “And if I were him, I would ask Al Gore to serve as his vice president, his energy czar, in his administration to reduce our consumption and reliance on foreign energy sources.

“That would send a signal to the world, to American people, to Congress, to everybody, that America's getting serious about this horrendous problem that we face.”

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Later, the political strategist – who supported Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid – admitted he’d rather see her name on the ballot under Obama’s this fall. “Obviously, I would be delighted if he picked Senator Clinton. I'm trying to be provocative in one sense,” said Carville.

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett dismissed the idea. “It's been said that the vice presidency isn't worth a bucket of - you know the rest of the line. To do it twice, I don't know that someone would want to do it twice. He's been there, done that.” He added that Gore would probably not want to put himself “in a subordinate role” – and that Obama needed a foreign policy expert as his running mate.

Both Carville and Bennett are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Miguel

James....take a vacation.

June 11, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  2. Tom

Jose – actually the 20 or so is down to 18 or so as people keep refusing to be on the ticket. You know who the "winner" is going to be?? The dumbfounded idiot who doesn't realize that the other 17 or so stepped BACK when Obama asked for someone to step forward and volunteer to be his v.p. ROFLMAO

June 11, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  3. Anonymous

ha ha

June 11, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  4. Jack Ryan

Mr. Gore – Please be vice president! We miss you!

June 11, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  5. DAN

Al Gore should be the president.

June 11, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  6. Zac

I'm a current college student... and like the large majority of people my age, support Barack Obama. Putting Al Gore on the Obama ticket would cause a lot of voters in my demographic to rethink their votes. Al Gore is old politics, what Obama has been preaching against. The carbon footprint for "Mr. Truth's" large mansion is 20X the average American's household and it even increased after the production of his movie (he was finally home using all his toys). It's hard to imagine an Obama/Clinton ticket with the rift that has been made during their recent campaigns...and as much as I dislike Hillary...the ticket would create the America we all want.

June 11, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  7. Bayousara

I know a president can't run for more than two terms.

What about a vice president...any restrictions?

June 11, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  8. Jude Semps

Al Gore would not accept the VP spot again after serving eight years as VP for the ststus quo: the Clintons. Al does not symbolise change, which Obama wants to bring to Washington. But I do respect Al, though.

June 11, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  9. Charlene in VA

That not change. Gore is old polities, If that the case gave it to Hillary

Mccain 08

June 11, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  10. Michael Erlewine

Gore would be a better choice than Clinton, but Clinton would be a better choice than the others they have floated so far. If not Gore, we should forget about Clinton's behavior and put her to work as the VP or some other cabinet post. She would have to be "nice."

June 11, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  11. Paul

I think Gore would be a great addition to the Obama ticket; clearly the best possible choice. It may be enticing to him if he gets to be the energy czar – what a great idea.

June 11, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  12. A Hard Working White Woman for Obama

I hope Obama will choose the vp of his own choice. I like Hillary but I don't want to force him to choose her.

June 11, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  13. Mark

LOOK MA I CAN SHOUT ON THE INTERNET TOO.

Gore has repeatedly said he beleives he can do more good out of Washington and I doubt he would want to be the vice president. I agree with him wholeheartedly and think that this is an irrelevant issue.

June 11, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  14. Pam

Someone needs to tell Carville the 90's are over. Time to move on, Jim.

June 11, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  15. Brian

What about your 'girl'? I dont think Al Gore is a fit at this time. My first Choice Hillary, second Jim Webb!

June 11, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  16. Snapper, Seattle

That's about as stupid an idea as I've heard so far. But coming from Carville, it doesn't surprise me. The guy should've stayed in the shade a little longer so his noodle wouldn't have baked too long!

June 11, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  17. Casey in Ca.

I don't think it would help even if he would consider it. Polls today show Obama leading McBush overall and if you look at the inner numbers that break the poll up into key demographics, Obama leads with amazing numbers, including latinos, women, independents and blue collar workers.

Obama should look at someone like Joe Biden for VP. The guy is clearly informed and on the right side about the important stuff, from Iraq to the economy to healthcare to education, energy dependence and climate change. He's steady and has experience. He's older, without being decrepit and cranky.

Obama/Biden '08

June 11, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  18. Marc, Williamsburg, VA

Carville is in fantasy land if he thinks Gore as VP is a realistic possibility, but it would be an instant win. There's no one McCain could pick who would stand up to an Obama/Gore.

June 11, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  19. Patrick

Easy on the capslock there chief.

June 11, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  20. Tim MN.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!

June 11, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  21. DC

DC in California

June 11, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  22. bash

Wesley Clark for Vice President

June 11, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  23. Tom

It's amazing that when Carville speaks, neither Hillary or Bill's mouth even moves.

June 11, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  24. Cynthia Flynn

Obama and Gore, the perfect ticket. Al Gore could concentrate on what he loves most and Obama can serve as executive. If Al Gore would do it it would never be for self serving reasons but only because he might believe he could make the difference that would win over someone as likable but old fashioned as McCain. I love McCain in the Senate, and hope Hillary stays there too. If the two of them could bring about some change on both sides of the isle a lot of things could be turned around.

June 11, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  25. Human Network

Now This is a winning ticket! Mr. Gore is the Man! Come on Mr. Gore Pretty Please! Do it for the Party, we love ya!

Obama / Gore 08