June 12th, 2008

Carville: Gore would make a great vice president...again

Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.
Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN Wednesday that former Vice President Al Gore should reprise his role as the No. 2 on a Democratic ticket.

“I think if I was Senator Obama I would say the biggest economic problem we face is the biggest national security problem and the biggest environmental problem,” Carville told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on the Situation Room. “And if I were him, I would ask Al Gore to serve as his vice president, his energy czar, in his administration to reduce our consumption and reliance on foreign energy sources.

“That would send a signal to the world, to American people, to Congress, to everybody, that America's getting serious about this horrendous problem that we face.”

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Later, the political strategist – who supported Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid – admitted he’d rather see her name on the ballot under Obama’s this fall. “Obviously, I would be delighted if he picked Senator Clinton. I'm trying to be provocative in one sense,” said Carville.

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett dismissed the idea. “It's been said that the vice presidency isn't worth a bucket of - you know the rest of the line. To do it twice, I don't know that someone would want to do it twice. He's been there, done that.” He added that Gore would probably not want to put himself “in a subordinate role” – and that Obama needed a foreign policy expert as his running mate.

Both Carville and Bennett are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. ray

al gore is fine, just not his son...

June 11, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  2. ditto

You 58 old white ladies for Obama- rest a while.

We know you are really just one African American – probably male- paid to post by Obama.

At least you are not hateful- I will give you that much.

HE'S THE NOMINEE- take a breather.

June 11, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  3. Juan Grain

Kornville just want hillary to win in 2012

June 11, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  4. Venus

Didn't Al already said no?

Why would he want to be VP twice?

Will people let Obama select his VP!

June 11, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  5. Alice in Florida

I wonder if Barack and Michelle will do "the bump" with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip?

June 11, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  6. marcy

That's an insult

June 11, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  7. David (Portland, OR)

Too bad Al Gore is not running for president or this whole primary election would have been done and over with forever ago. The question is would Obama be willing to be VP and put Al Gore on top of the ticket? Talk about a landslide in November!

June 11, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  8. RMH

Gore should be the presidential candidate. He'd win!.
    The Dems have ben fools this year.. Gore is their compromise candidate

June 11, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  9. Tony Albrecht

Why should we care what Carville has to say?

The primary campaign revealed his true colors as a vicious partisan weasel.

Please, CNN, keep his ilk off the air.

June 11, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  10. Marko

Why is Carville even mentioning "Gore of VP" when Gore himself said he is not interested in being vice president? On June 04, 2008 Gore's spokeswoman Kalee Kreider said "Vice President Gore has long since ruled out any possibility of serving in any administration”. I think Carville is just trying to back Obama into a corner and make Obama look like a person that is running against Democratic elite. Carville is still doing all he can to ruin Obama's chances in November. Carville's money is not needed for Obama's campaign but rather Carville's comments will be judged more by Obama's supporters.

June 11, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  11. J.C.

That would be a big mistake to make Gore Obama's V.P.
    They are not the right match.

Obama/Numm 2008!
    or
    Obama/Richardson 2008!

June 11, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  12. Mary - Independent

I agree with James Carville – Al Gore would be great on the Democratic ticket for the General Election. But would he want the job of Vice President again? He has a lot of knowledge about this Country and knows how to get things done.

June 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  13. Jeff

All we need is a bearded Al Gore to be in the Obama administration and we'll be set. I think the mindset of change that Mr. Obama is trying to create would be conducive for Mr. Gore to amplify his efforts to fight climate change. Perhaps not the Vice President position, but certainly a Cabinet position would work. There would be lots of promise if a move like that was made.

June 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  14. Mose

Gore would not be my choice but I have confidence in believing that Obama will make the right choice.

June 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  15. uma

we pray he be the one

June 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  16. Chris In California

What is it with CNN.com??? I post and they do not put it on. I think it is because they are so PRO-OBAMA that they don't give voice to anyone else!

I do not think Gore should inject himself into this race. I will not vote for him, even though I like him. I will not vote for Obama unless Hillary Clinton is on the ticket! A LOT of others feel that same as I do.

June 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  17. Mr. International

James Carville needs a heaping serving of STFU!

June 11, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  18. pam Eugene OR

Nope
    Been then and done that. Barack will find the perfect person on his own!

June 11, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  19. sarah

oooh pulease, al gore? why would the man want to get involved with a loser like obama. get a grip carville, why would you want gore or clinton involved in that train wreck?

June 11, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  20. MDR

That'll be a nice ticket. That'll pretty much wipe away any experience flaw Mccain will try and throw at Obama. Gore is a proven leader. Just makes you wonder does he wanna be the number 2 again.

June 11, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  21. Agnes

Al Gore was robbed of the Presidency in 2000. Just look what happened when the "Committee" overrode the voice of the people – we got Bush. The same sort of no good will occur if Obama were to become Pres., as Obama was not the peoples choice; Hillary Clinton was the peoples choice and we have not forgotten that the Democratic party railroaded her. Not to mention the DNC will now be Obama's to controll! Outrageous and frightening; is this America or is this Nazi Germany. Truly democracy has died in America. I would rather 4 more with McCain, at least he truly won his parties nomination. Why would Gore be the number two for a candidate that the DNC thwarted the voice of America for? I can't see Al Gore in this spot. Obama must be getting nerveous....

June 11, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  22. LA

I trust Senator Obama to make the right selection. His judgment has been excellent. Keep up the good work, Senator.

June 11, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  23. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

oh please carville, who are you to say anything, you lost, so let change take place..

he is a bozzoo

he can prpose whoever he wants when his queen and king get back on the campaign trail again which they will do for the princess chelsea..

ohh please, enough with the billarys

June 11, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  24. rich

I thought Carville was going to retire back in the South. What happenned? This inquiring mind wants to know, because it's time.

June 11, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  25. John

That's actually not a bad idea...

June 11, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |