June 12th, 2008

Carville: Gore would make a great vice president...again

Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.
Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN Wednesday that former Vice President Al Gore should reprise his role as the No. 2 on a Democratic ticket.

“I think if I was Senator Obama I would say the biggest economic problem we face is the biggest national security problem and the biggest environmental problem,” Carville told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on the Situation Room. “And if I were him, I would ask Al Gore to serve as his vice president, his energy czar, in his administration to reduce our consumption and reliance on foreign energy sources.

“That would send a signal to the world, to American people, to Congress, to everybody, that America's getting serious about this horrendous problem that we face.”

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Later, the political strategist – who supported Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid – admitted he’d rather see her name on the ballot under Obama’s this fall. “Obviously, I would be delighted if he picked Senator Clinton. I'm trying to be provocative in one sense,” said Carville.

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett dismissed the idea. “It's been said that the vice presidency isn't worth a bucket of - you know the rest of the line. To do it twice, I don't know that someone would want to do it twice. He's been there, done that.” He added that Gore would probably not want to put himself “in a subordinate role” – and that Obama needed a foreign policy expert as his running mate.

Both Carville and Bennett are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. andy

I think obama needs to thik this very seriously and decided between Al Gore and Hillary Clinton as VP.

June 11, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  2. MrSatyre

FDR served three terms and had begun a fourth when he died, which actually puts him over Gore, were he to be VP three times.

June 11, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  3. Josh, NY

No Gore!!

NoBama!!!

Period!!!

June 11, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  4. CALI DUDE

YEAHHHH
    THATS IT....
    I JUST FIGURED IT OUT..

mC cANE REMINDS ME OF ELMER FUDD... !!

lol.. :p ;-)

June 11, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  5. D-Weezy - OH

Any true democrat would like to see Gore as VP. But I must say that I don't believe he would accept, seek, or even consider it. Al Gore is a great man, but he got the shaft in his run for the presidency in 2K. Look, the Republicans and the Bush Administration pulled off a Political Coup. Not once, but twice. You can't blame him for not wanting to fiddle with this crap again. And I'll tell you this, if you think that they can't pull something like that off and get away with it, take a step back and look at all the numb-skulls who believe what the republicans tell them. It's funny how Fox News seems to be their only source of information. Wow, we sure are on the fast track...TO NOWHERE!

June 11, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  6. Bobby tray

Carville needs to shut the heck up!

June 11, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  7. bettee

jose, don't YELL

June 11, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  8. Harry, NY

Love to see Gore on a ticket with Obama. Gore couldn't even win his own state-how weak is that? Anything to bring Obama down is a
    plus.

I and my friends are writing in for Hillary so we couldn't care less who
    the woos/appeaser selects.

June 11, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  9. franco

Hello American People!

Well, it will be very difficult for Obama to pick up a VP because all the potential candidates has more experience and capacity that Obama...

God Bless America!!!!

June 11, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  10. Mike

If my respect for Mr. Gore is well-founded, he would not care that accepting the veep is a "step down" careerwise. Quite possibly the biggest threat facing this country in the next twenty years is our dependence on foreign oil. It has both economic and national security implications, and I'm prepared to "waste" my vote on Nader if I'm not satisfied that Obama is aggressively addressing this issue head on.

Please, Obama, tap Gore for Veep, or someone else with an extremely aggressive alternative energy plan. In the meantime, your refusal to accept lobbyist money is pretty darn cool.

June 11, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  11. Jim Richmond

Carville, you stupid fool! Why would Gore accept the VP spot when he rejected President spot. Carville is an idiot.

June 11, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  12. william

absolutely needs him, he has already been elected President and didn't get it.

June 11, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  13. Bill, Covington

James Carville is a freekin jerk, I'm embaressed that he was ever allowed in the USMC. We must have been scraping the bottom of the barrell at that time.
    As for Prince Albert of Carthage..... let him go keep warming his global or whatever it is he does.

June 11, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  14. clint williams

I totally agree with Mr. Carvelle. The US has lost so much respect in world arena, that what better way to restore it than with a universially respected elder statesman like Al Gore. Brilliant Idea!

Clint Williams

June 11, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  15. Brian

Gore is a great man, no matter what hateful things McCain and the Repubbies say.

June 11, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  16. clint williams

I totally agree with Mr. Carville. The US has lost so much respect in world arena, that what better way to restore it than with a universially respected elder statesman like Al Gore. Brilliant Idea!

Clint Williams

June 11, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  17. dan davenport

No I don't think it's a grand idea although I would like to see Mr. Gore at some important post in the Obama administration, he'a a brilliant man. Carville's suggestions have to be taken with a grain of salt because he's all over the map in this past campaign, flipping and flopping all around tooting his annoying horn.

June 11, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  18. I. Macias, Jr.

Who cares what Carville..........everybody knows he's an idiot!

June 11, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  19. Holden Litgo

Carville is trying to be provocative in EVERY sense. How can you run on the platform of change and invite the past onto your ticket? As bright and insightful as Carville has been and can be, these guys talk way too much and think way too little.

June 11, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  20. June

I disagree Al Gore do not need to get involved in Obama's lies, Obama is benefiting from Hiliary's endorsement , which she should not have done, Obama is fooling the people in America, who are so easy to fool, and are very gullible people.

June 11, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  21. Words of Caution

Simply the worst possible choice of Vice Presidential candidates that I ever could conceive of!!!
    If he were energy czar, the oil and gas companies large and small and for that matter most industry would pack up and leave so fast it will make your head spin!!!
    Al Gore and his brilliant "Nobel Prize" winning concepts of Global Warming are enough to discourage even the most ardent Obama supporter.
    Trust me, Obama would lose the votes of thousands and thousands of scientists like myself, who would have otherwise voted for him.
    This Global Warming stuff is about to be relegated to the waste heap of history within 2 years. Gore is going to look like more of an abject idiot than he already does very very soon.
    I support Obama because he has innate intelligence and ability, if he were to appoint Gore that opinion would change to ZERO support!

June 11, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  22. Frank, Dayton, Ohio

I would have loved a Gore-Obama ticket. However, the idea of the former vice president agreeing to run again as vice president is unrealistic. This is especially true since Gore himself stated that he is unlikely to re-enter the political arena, but that if he did it would only be for the presidency. Thus, Gore has pre-emptively ruled this out already.

June 11, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  23. angel in NV

Obama/Clinton 08 DEMS UNITE!!!

June 11, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  24. I. Macias, Jr.

Who cares what Carville says............everybody knows he's an idiot!

June 11, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  25. mississippi librarian

So Carville wants to reward Gore because he was cheated out of the presidency. We all know that Gore won the first election, but it was given to bush by the courts and that woman in florida. Gore was encouraged to accept the decision for the good of the country. bush, the dumbest person I have ever seen – I don't know how he walks upright – has made a real mess of this country; now they want Gore to have fun in straightening it out! I think he would make a good Vice President, but let us not forget – the presidency was stolen from Gore.

June 11, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |