June 12th, 2008

Carville: Gore would make a great vice president...again

Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.
Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN Wednesday that former Vice President Al Gore should reprise his role as the No. 2 on a Democratic ticket.

“I think if I was Senator Obama I would say the biggest economic problem we face is the biggest national security problem and the biggest environmental problem,” Carville told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on the Situation Room. “And if I were him, I would ask Al Gore to serve as his vice president, his energy czar, in his administration to reduce our consumption and reliance on foreign energy sources.

“That would send a signal to the world, to American people, to Congress, to everybody, that America's getting serious about this horrendous problem that we face.”

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Later, the political strategist – who supported Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid – admitted he’d rather see her name on the ballot under Obama’s this fall. “Obviously, I would be delighted if he picked Senator Clinton. I'm trying to be provocative in one sense,” said Carville.

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett dismissed the idea. “It's been said that the vice presidency isn't worth a bucket of - you know the rest of the line. To do it twice, I don't know that someone would want to do it twice. He's been there, done that.” He added that Gore would probably not want to put himself “in a subordinate role” – and that Obama needed a foreign policy expert as his running mate.

Both Carville and Bennett are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Bruce

Al Gore has already held the position that one of his predecessors described as not being worth a bucket of warm spit. Why would he want it again? Did he have all that much power when he had to support the President, whether or not he agreed with the President? I think Al Gore has more influence as a private citizen. On the other hand, if the convention wants to nominate Al Gore for President, then I think he is a lock in November.

June 11, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  2. J-M

Though I doubt this'd ever happen, I'd love to see it! Just let Gore be your Global Warming Czar, traveling the world and spreading the message.

June 11, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  3. Belle1

Gore has said over and over he is not running for President, nor does he wish to go back to politics.

I am STILL waiting for a news story that actually VETS the candidates!

Now that we have read all of the gossip columns, and heard about book writing, wives, mis speaking, crushes...what makes CNN think this is IMPORTANT compared to vetting two men who want to be President of the United States.

As for some comments from Obama bloggers. If they were referring to me as a republican blogger...I don't know if they are referring to me, or the other Belle postings...so I will list myself as Belle1 in the future.

Is it really too much to ask for the candidates' to be vetted CNN?

June 11, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  4. Jerry in Fresno

No, Mr Bennett,

what Obama needs is a running mate with international credibility and respect.

Remember, Obama needs most to correct the Bush deficits.

June 11, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  5. LA WOMAN

OBAMA/SEBELIUS ONLY!!! THAT WOULD BE THE DREAM TEAM.

June 11, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  6. The most intelligent blogger

We need Al Gore as President !

June 11, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  7. Redphilly

I am in complete agreement with Carville who I admire. Everyone and his mother believes that the presidency was stolen from Gore. That said, he should be given two vice presidential positions to make up for the presidential position he didn't get. Bush knows it was stolen from him. He gets mail and e-mails voicing this opinion every day. That is why he doesn't care about a country who voted against him in reality. Those people dying in Iraq mean nothing to him; they didn't vote for him any way. Gore is not getting any younger and to spend a few easy, laid-back years helping to make the US greater should be something about which he should have no qualms.

June 11, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  8. Peter E

Gore is a decent, intelligent man... when he's not acting like a politician. He should keep it that way.

June 11, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  9. CHRIS

CARVILLE NEEDS TO GO GROW SOME HAIR

June 11, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  10. Denny Sangiovanni

Obama need women's support in order to get McCain down for good. He needs Clinton as VP. Foreign policy?? I don't think that is a job for the VP.

June 11, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. Casey in Ca.

He would, but I bet he'd say "been there, done that"

He should at least be very vocal encouraging Clinton supporters to join the campaign.

June 11, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  12. Women In California for Obama

No one would be that stupid...

June 11, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  13. TXBad1

Obama, there you Go use Al Gore, that will unite the party, Not!

June 11, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  14. John WA

But this time Gore would be a repected active member of the team. In the Clinton years Hillary and Bill kind off pushed him aside Actually, pretty much. If he were VP now he could do much more. That being said, Wes Clark might be stonger VP choice agaisnt Mc Cain. He know, as a 4 star general, that McCain really is not millitary savvy-as he would have us belive.

June 11, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  15. Don

OMG NO!!!!!! Not this idiot again. He is so full of crap his eyes are brown!!!!!!!!

June 11, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  16. Kevin Kris, Sunnyvale

Way to go!

June 11, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  17. joe

Al Gore and Obama would definitely be a winning combination for the Democratic party.

June 11, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  18. Erik

MMMMmmmNO

wesley clark or kathleen sebelius

June 11, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  19. Ryan

As somebody who disliked him as a running mate with Bill Clinton in the 90s, and as somebody who voted against him in the 2000 election, what's my opinion?... I'M ALL FOR IT NOW! It'll never happen, but it would ensure the Democrats win the White House in 08 and nobody would be a better fit.

June 11, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  20. Daniel

I wouldn't mind seeing Gore on the ticket. I doubt he'd want to do it, but it's possible that's he's on Obama's list of 20.

June 11, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  21. aware

Forget it!

No Obama under any circumstances!

The Democratic party – Reid , Pelosi, Brazille and Dean have killed their party for this election! :(

We will not return unless they change! Obama is not change Mainstream America can believe in!

June 11, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  22. Roland

Does Mr Carville have a brain? Why would Al Gore be a VP again? That's an insult to Mr Gore. How about being there, done that...

June 11, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  23. Ross

James Carville has totally redeemed himself (since the Judas remark). Al Gore would be a great pick! If not Gore, I want to see Hagel. OBAMA/whoever 2008!!!!!!!

June 11, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  24. Michael

Don't get me wrong, I like Al Gore but he just doesn't fit with Obama. Let Obama pick who he believes is best to serve as his Vice President but I can say I don't believe Al Gore is it.

June 11, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  25. Sue in MI

While I think Gore would be a strong VP, Hillary is better!

June 11, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |