June 12th, 2008

Carville: Gore would make a great vice president...again

Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.
Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN Wednesday that former Vice President Al Gore should reprise his role as the No. 2 on a Democratic ticket.

“I think if I was Senator Obama I would say the biggest economic problem we face is the biggest national security problem and the biggest environmental problem,” Carville told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on the Situation Room. “And if I were him, I would ask Al Gore to serve as his vice president, his energy czar, in his administration to reduce our consumption and reliance on foreign energy sources.

“That would send a signal to the world, to American people, to Congress, to everybody, that America's getting serious about this horrendous problem that we face.”

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Later, the political strategist – who supported Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid – admitted he’d rather see her name on the ballot under Obama’s this fall. “Obviously, I would be delighted if he picked Senator Clinton. I'm trying to be provocative in one sense,” said Carville.

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett dismissed the idea. “It's been said that the vice presidency isn't worth a bucket of - you know the rest of the line. To do it twice, I don't know that someone would want to do it twice. He's been there, done that.” He added that Gore would probably not want to put himself “in a subordinate role” – and that Obama needed a foreign policy expert as his running mate.

Both Carville and Bennett are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Shawn

That would be a very interesting move.

June 11, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  2. Ben - Portland

Is Carville so desperate to live in the past that he's wanting Gore to go back with him? If Carville wants to stay relevant and continue appearing on the talk shows, he better realize that the 90s are over and the political strategy of the future depends on people actually looking into the future. He's dangerously close to has-been. We'll probably see him on VH1 talking about the best and worst political faux pas of the 90s here soon.

June 11, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  3. Peter E

A most interesting choice... but one that Obama supporters will surely attack. Considering they threatened to switch to McCain if a Clinton is on the ticket, what would they do if the 2nd man in the Clinton administration would be on the ticket? Their hatefest is boundless.

June 11, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  4. Amanda

I don't normally agree with James Carville, but this is the best idea I have heard yet. Talk about a dream ticket!

I love this reasoning because I am tired of hearing about potential VP's that will help get Obama through November. We don't just need to win an election - we need someone who can help Obama resolve a number of problems this country faces. This is a democratic year and we need a VP that will be best equipped to step into action once 2009 rolls around. Gore all the way.

June 11, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  5. B. Churchill

Hey, all you folks who keep on yammering about experience being the thing so desperately needed in a candidate for President – you know, about Hillary being so "experienced" and McCain being so "experienced" – remember, two of the most "experienced" people in Washington on 9/11 were Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld. And how did that work out, exactly? Was George Washington "experienced"? Abraham Lincoln? Have you ever been "Experienced"? I have... (A little cultural reference just for giggles...)

June 11, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  6. Oregon calling -

Ya know, I don't often agree with Carville but I think that Gore should be on that list, what a way to make a point ;-)

June 11, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  7. Nick F.

Environmental issues including finite natural resources, are the most fundamentally important challenges we face, so I agree that Al Gore should have a very prominent role in the next administration. Whether that should be VP or a cabinet position is my only question.

June 11, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  8. Dan (Redmond, WA)

Would I love to see it? Absolutely! Will it happen? Probably not.

June 11, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  9. A Democrat No More

Gore/Clinton 08 then I would be a Democrat again.

June 11, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  10. No More Clintons, CA

Bill Richardson is a good choice. Al Gore is another good one.

No VP to the Clintons.

Hilliary has proven that she is a backstabbing knife fighter who does not know when to quit and will take her fighter underground!

Obama would be real dumb to name the untrustworhty Clinton. Obama does not need to have 3-Cheney-like VPs in his administration. The Clintons will drive out voters to vote against them!

Never, never, never vote for another Clinton!

June 11, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  11. NORA, FLORIDA

Buttttttttttttttttttttttt does he want it. I am so sick of folks volunteering folks for the position. I thought Obama and team had to do the choosing.

That is like me trying to hire for homeland security. Just not going to happen.

June 11, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  12. Rebecca

I personally think James Carville is absolute slime, but that aside, I agree that Gore would be a fantastic choice. I think that Obama will most certainly tap into Al for some type of high level position within his cabinet.

June 11, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  13. Rob Bickers

No way, no how would this be a good thing. The enormous harm he has done to REAL science is bad enough, he doesn't need any more federal power to enforce his horrific ideas of how the rest of us should live our lives. He completely fails to live up to his own example – just look at his energy waste (carbon credits are a scam) and coastal real estate in SF.

His house is built on sand . . . it's just a matter of time until it washes away. Not the scenario you want your VP to be in.

June 11, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  14. RK

Hey, Obama could do worse but I don't think Al Gore would want the job..perhaps a cabinet post or something to do with energy as it would keep his platform going, but he would lose his focus as a VP. Also, it's been there, done that....I was hoping that he would run for president and win a second election!!!! That being said, I like Jim Webb as Obama is going to need a strong military guy who's a little closer to the action than Al Gore, but I would like Al Gore to be involved in the administration....!

June 11, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  15. Mike in Land O Lakes, FL

I like Gore, but I don't think he is interested in becoming a VP again. I hope he consideres becoming an Energy czar though.

Carville, please think twice before you open your mouth:-)

June 11, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  16. Mark

It would be the TRUE dream ticket! OBAMA/ GORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 11, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  17. darlene dubbelde

Certainly a better choice than Bill Richardson, who shows no loyalty to the
    New Mexican voters or to the Clintons. The superdelegate vote should have been cast for Clinton. She did after all win New Mexico.

June 11, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  18. Jena

I am so tired of Blitzer. He still thinks that the comments of tired old hacks from the 90s like Carville still matter and are still worthy of being deemed by him to be politically relevant.

We don't just need to change politicians: we need an overhaul of the tired old anchors.

June 11, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  19. Sandy

What part of change do you not understand? Fresh faces-fresh ideas, that's what I'm voting for!

June 11, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  20. Tony

Although I don't think he'd accept it what an awesome ticket would that be. If I was Obama I'd find someway of getting him on the ticket.

June 11, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  21. The Campaign Strategist at 115th St & Amsterdam Ave.

OMG ... I almost agree with Carvelle.

I'd like to see Former Tennessee Senator, Vice President and Nobel prize winner, Albert Gore, Jr. as

Secretary of Energy –

Clean Energy Policy will be a hallmark of future America. Clean coal (liquification / Gasification) technologies, bio-fuels, wind and nuclear will have profound impacts on American competitiveness in the energy business … the export of clean fuels, affordable fuels will help Joe 6-Pack and our industrial base.

Gore would also begin the long, overdue need to keep our planet in balance ecologically and reverse the decline evidenced by extreme wheather patterns.

Moreover, beyond the environmental and economic aspects, energy independence has a direct relationship on our vulnerability to Mideast turmoil and our troops having to serve there. Given the connections to other parts of National Policy, this Secretary of Engergy role could draw on many of the Vice Presideng's significant strengths

June 11, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  22. John Zeger

Al Gore as VP? That doesn't sound bad. It would add some needed experience to the ticket alllowing some of us to sleep better at night.

June 11, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  23. No McBush in 08!

of course he would

June 11, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  24. Mary - Independent

Al Gore is a very smart and intelligent person. I agree with James Carville – Al Gore would make a great VP again. But my question is, can he hold that position more than once? Would Al Gore, if asked,
    give the Democratic ticket enough strength? What about his knowledge on foreign affairs – we know he is up on Global Warming.
    I guess it is a "wait and see" situation as to who Obama selects as his VP.

June 11, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |