June 12th, 2008

Carville: Gore would make a great vice president...again

Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.
Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN Wednesday that former Vice President Al Gore should reprise his role as the No. 2 on a Democratic ticket.

“I think if I was Senator Obama I would say the biggest economic problem we face is the biggest national security problem and the biggest environmental problem,” Carville told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on the Situation Room. “And if I were him, I would ask Al Gore to serve as his vice president, his energy czar, in his administration to reduce our consumption and reliance on foreign energy sources.

“That would send a signal to the world, to American people, to Congress, to everybody, that America's getting serious about this horrendous problem that we face.”

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Later, the political strategist – who supported Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid – admitted he’d rather see her name on the ballot under Obama’s this fall. “Obviously, I would be delighted if he picked Senator Clinton. I'm trying to be provocative in one sense,” said Carville.

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett dismissed the idea. “It's been said that the vice presidency isn't worth a bucket of - you know the rest of the line. To do it twice, I don't know that someone would want to do it twice. He's been there, done that.” He added that Gore would probably not want to put himself “in a subordinate role” – and that Obama needed a foreign policy expert as his running mate.

Both Carville and Bennett are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Martin

Love Al Gore– but this is a terrible, terrible idea.

Carville, for all his strategic brilliance, should know that choosing Gore would be a one-way ticket to defeat in November.

First of all, once a person runs and loses an election for the presidency, they are forever branded with permenant loser status which takes extraordinary circumstances (i.e. Nixon in the wake of JFK/Johnson) to reverse.

Secondly, Gore doesn't help Obama electorally. Anybody inclined to vote for Obama/Gore would already be inclined to vote for Obama/Anybody. Obama's VP needs to pick him up some of the "hard working white americans" that may feel estranged from his exotic progressive ways. Jim Webb is ideal– though Wes Clark gives him military heft, and Chuck Hagel brings bipartisenship.

Gore, as wonderful as he is– would cement Obama as a "latte-drinker" (isn't it amazing the euphemisms we use these days?)

Al Gore should definitely have a place in the Obama administration, and "environment czar", silly as that name sounds, could be a great post. He doens't need to be VP to do it.

Beyond that, as important as the environment is, it doesn't get people motivated to vote. This election will be about the economy and the war. Obama needs to get elected first, and then he can sick Gore on polluters.

Methinks Carville is trying to give Hillary another shot in '2012. Pretty despicable if you ask me.

June 11, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  2. No More Clintons, CA

Obama is in the general election now. Obama will win without Clinton on his ticket.

The Clintons may be SOME of the Dems favorite choice, but, definitely the MOST UNFAVORABLE, MOST POLARING political figures the general population LOVE TO HATE!

The Clintons will drive out voters to vote against the name of the Clinton!

Never, never, never vote for another Clinton!

June 11, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  3. Mike

Oh my god. Carville is not only the ugliest guy on Television but the stupidist too.

June 11, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  4. don

June 11, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  5. Generation X

I think Charlotte or Belle is now Karen, FL = Operation Chaos for the Republicans. NOT THIS TIME.

June 11, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  6. TR

Al Gore ought to be our next president. I would like Obama to be his "very active" VP. You asked, and this is my opinion.

June 11, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  7. don

this is nonesense,,,,,,james carville,,,,,,, i think that guy is talking out of his head, he should just keep is mouth close.and please cnn report important news.

June 11, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  8. Denton Ford

All I gotta say is... What a Judas!

June 11, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  9. Sammy

It's an interesting idea but not realistic. His mission in life is the environment and he could be appointed to the top of whatever parts of the government handle those issues. He would be answerable only to the president and I think he would much rather have that kind of role.

Still, I believe Obama would get along better with Gore than Clinton. Just a feeling.

June 11, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  10. Obama Yes We Can

Carville -I used to think you were ok but that was before you showed your colors on Hillary then nasty attack on Richardson (he should be able to make up his mind without you baby) so what you say pour it down the drain you are nothing to write home about ........................................

June 11, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  11. Buddy

Gore should be President, but we will have to take McCain. Hillary supporter.

June 11, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  12. Kim

I got to know. Does someone actually pay Carville to be an idiot?

June 11, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  13. Slash

Meh. I'd prefer Webb, a veteran who sponsored legislation to give better access to college education to returning soldiers. Unlike McCain, who voted against it (citing retention rates, as he would rather have young people come home to their parents in boxes instead of caps and gowns), Webb is a true hero and would make an excellent running mate for Obama.

June 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  14. LYNETTE IN CA

I don't think he wants to do the veep thing again. However, I could see him better as a Secty of State or someone definitely in the Cabinet.

June 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  15. Frank, San Francisco

NO CLINTON NO OBAMA...
    If she is not VP – I will stay home

June 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  16. Ann Baker

I support Al Gore 110% as Obama's VP.
    Obama, if you read this, please consider Al Gore!
    WOW, now that would be a "dream ticket."

June 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  17. Roger from CA

I think it would be the safest bet in the world that Al Gore would not be interested in being VP again.

June 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  18. Hansra

The man should be President and maybe Obama his VP. Come on CNN don't disrespect, " The man that use to be the next President of the United States of America".

Randy H, from Toronto.

June 11, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  19. wolfsbane

Does CNN have any decent contributors? Bennet and Carville, anyone with sound judgement to balance out those two?

June 11, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  20. Minnesota against Johnny McSame

Advisors like Carville are the reason(s) that Hillary lost after a 30 point lead over Barack. Stop giving potty-mouth Carville credibility by bringing him on CNN.

June 11, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  21. FactCheck

Great idea. I wonder if he'd go for it though.

June 11, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  22. Hoang, UC Berkeley

Hahaha.
    Oh no, now Obama supporters are shouting that I am racist because I have given my reasons for deciding to write Hillary in.
    hahaha.
    SORRY, THAT LABEL IS NOT GONNA STICK ON ME!!!! YOU SEE, THIS IS BERKELEY; MY CLOSE FRIENDS ARE ACTUALLY FROM ALL OF THE RACES AND ALL PARTS OF THE WORLD. I gotta print these comments and show them to my friends and see what they think. :D hahaha
    Poor Hillary. She was purposedly labeled "racist" by SOME ACTUAL RACIST ONES.

June 11, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  23. Tim NY

Barack needs a fresh face, not a retread. Personally, I think he should pick someone who has a low profile who won't overshadow him. He doesn't have much experience, so anyone with experience will make him look weak.

June 11, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  24. unions are not stupid

That would be the dream ticket!!!! absolute dream ticket!!!

June 11, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  25. Samuel Smith

I think Al Gore would be a great VP as well. Carville is correct in summarizing that our energy needs and dependence on (mostly foreign) oil is both the greatest economic issue and national security issue. And, of course, it's the greatest environmental issue facing the world; the steps taken by the world's leading countries over the next 20 years will have a deep impact on the environment into the 22nd century. I'd much rather see America leading the correct side on this issue, rather than stalling and resisting, and refusing to acknowledge that an issue even exists; our policy for the past 8 years.

True, Gore has "been there and done that." But if that's the reason why he shouldn't be the VP, then that's just selfishness on his part. If the country - or the world - needs him in this capacity, should he refuse simply because of his ego?

June 11, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |