June 12th, 2008

Carville: Gore would make a great vice president...again

Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.
Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN Wednesday that former Vice President Al Gore should reprise his role as the No. 2 on a Democratic ticket.

“I think if I was Senator Obama I would say the biggest economic problem we face is the biggest national security problem and the biggest environmental problem,” Carville told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on the Situation Room. “And if I were him, I would ask Al Gore to serve as his vice president, his energy czar, in his administration to reduce our consumption and reliance on foreign energy sources.

“That would send a signal to the world, to American people, to Congress, to everybody, that America's getting serious about this horrendous problem that we face.”

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Later, the political strategist – who supported Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid – admitted he’d rather see her name on the ballot under Obama’s this fall. “Obviously, I would be delighted if he picked Senator Clinton. I'm trying to be provocative in one sense,” said Carville.

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett dismissed the idea. “It's been said that the vice presidency isn't worth a bucket of - you know the rest of the line. To do it twice, I don't know that someone would want to do it twice. He's been there, done that.” He added that Gore would probably not want to put himself “in a subordinate role” – and that Obama needed a foreign policy expert as his running mate.

Both Carville and Bennett are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. kim portland, oregon

give him a VERY important and powerful position, we NEED al gore.

KICK OUT THE CRIMINAL GOP--let's take back america, democrats. it's time to be PROUD of america and its leadership again-that is IMPOSSIBLE with mcsame!

June 11, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  2. steven

But Carville is an idiot and should have probably stopped talking awhile ago.

June 11, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  3. Bob

Just shutup Carville...you hack....judas...go suck up to the clintons...I didn't realize it was 1992...who listens to you anyways...

June 11, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  4. William Land

Obama/Gore 2008!
    I think it's a fantastic idea

June 11, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  5. Sandy - PA

NO. I would not like to see Al Gore as VP. And the author is incorrect – the biggest problem currently faced by the US, both economic and security , is our unsecured borders and unchecked illegal immigration.

June 11, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  6. Ed

Never, no, absolutely not unless Carville's goal is to turn the election over to the Republicans.

June 11, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  7. CHilallas

Obama forever. He wil one of the best presidents ever seen or heard in the history of US. Mark me on it. Obama 08. Hillary for VP will be a great idea. Peace

June 11, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  8. Tommy

I wanted Gore in '04 and in '08. He didn't run and I honestly was disappointed in his decision because I felt it was selfish of him to not be willing to go through the personal sacrafice of running.

The selfless thing to do would be to dedicate himself to serving the country and helping solve the problems he preaches about so much now.

In other words, I respectfully say to Mr. Gore that this is bigger than him or any sacrafice he would have to make to try and serve again. Choose what you can do for your country and forget about the heartbreak of the stolen election of 2000.

Please serve again and help our country and the entire world.

June 11, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  9. kevin

WHY DON'T CARVILLE SHUT UP AND SUCK A EGG!

June 11, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  10. FB

Why not bring both Gore and Hillary?

June 11, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  11. ledel

I haven't agreed with Carville on anything this year ,but I agree this idea of Gore being Obama's VP would be the ticket ! The VP can be a very influential and powerful position if the President wants it to be. If Obama were to place Gore in charge of U.S. energy/climate policy, that could be dramatic and have worldwide implications. Obama does not need a foreign policy or military person as VP. He'll have plenty of good advisors in those areas .

June 11, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  12. Rob R

Gore is great and all but probably not the best choice for VP. I really think Obama needs a military type person – perhaps Wesley Clark to counter the one and only topic that McCain has any knowledge on.

June 11, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  13. Vig

Al Gore doesn't need to be VP again and why should he be?

June 11, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  14. Adrian

McBush is done!! the country needs a new vision, a new light, and Barack Obama is the light that the Americans desperately need!! if I were an American I would vote for Obama hands down!! even if i did not know a thing about the race, just listen to his speeches!! Absolutely incredible!!
    Obama/Richardson ticket

June 11, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  15. Patsy Madison, TN

Gore would make a great president. How difference our world would be if Gore had been sworn in as president back in 2001. The world will pay for that mistake for centuries to come. I wish that Obama would see that he needs to be VP to Gore. Gore has what it takes to make this nation strong again.

June 11, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  16. sacto joe

Leave the dude alone, for cry out loud. He's got a life now.

Hey, Nader: Do you STILL think it wouldn't have made a difference if Gore had been elected instead of Bush?

If you do, then you definitely need to remove your head from where you've got it stuck....

June 11, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  17. jim

Clinton or Gore or Oprah won't help obama win

June 11, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  18. Sheri

Al Gore would make a good veep but he is a has been. Obama needs a new fresh and knowledgeable running mate ready to embrace the change that matches the peppy and smart new fresh face senator and that Mr. Obama of course.

June 11, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  19. McBsuh

i think Al Gore sgould be the VP his a really smart person. Obama 08!!

June 11, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  20. Jane

I'd love to see a Clinton/Gore ticket again!
    With another scandal under his belt, Obama isn't looking so great. I'll be wriitng in Hillary!

June 11, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  21. Eddy

He's a serious man, and he has an outreach to constituencies Obama hasn't yet reached, with foreign policy expertise and REAL experience in office. If, as VP, he were given actual, tangible power to affect US policy on energy and global warming, it wouldn't be a matter of doing the same job again, but of having a new and unique opportunity to make a serious difference to the world, and even the survival of the planet.

June 11, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  22. svp

Bad idea as VP...Gore could not even win his own state of Tennessee. Gore can have a strong Cabinet position in the department of energy as an "Energy Czar".

I keep getting confused on the rationale for the VP positions. Candidates agendas can be spear headed by people who will eventually be in an Obama cabinet or government. The VP pick should clearly be focussed on enabling a winning strategy for Obama in how many states he can swing into the democratic column and who has a broad appeal across the board to swing core democratic voters and the reagan democrats. Looks liek Obama does well amongst independants himself.

Again for Military and foreign policy credentials, Obama can pick a strong defense secretary and secretary of state, not to mention the NSA director. So, the focus for VP should be to get as many states into the democratic column.

June 11, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  23. McBsuh

Clinton is smart too she should be on the ballet with Al Gore. We need this people to help our economy and secure our future. Obama 08!

June 11, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  24. Oh boy

What is the purpose of this?

I'm 58 years old- and I would make a great mother- again.

Gore is a good man and lets wish him the best.

June 11, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  25. Melissa Atlanta, GA

As much as I'd love to see Gore as Veep, I think he would not be most effective in that role for two reasons: (1) Gore being VP will not help Obama win take the White House; Obama needs to buff his foreign policy creds, his environmental creditials are fine so he doesn't need Gore. Also, Gore didn't carry FL, TN or OH, so he's not going to help Obama do what he couldn't. (2) Gore will be more effective not as VP, but as Secretary of Energy or something like that so that he can set the environmental policy.

June 11, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |