June 12th, 2008

Carville: Gore would make a great vice president...again

Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.
Gore has ruled out a run for any office but President.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN Wednesday that former Vice President Al Gore should reprise his role as the No. 2 on a Democratic ticket.

“I think if I was Senator Obama I would say the biggest economic problem we face is the biggest national security problem and the biggest environmental problem,” Carville told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on the Situation Room. “And if I were him, I would ask Al Gore to serve as his vice president, his energy czar, in his administration to reduce our consumption and reliance on foreign energy sources.

“That would send a signal to the world, to American people, to Congress, to everybody, that America's getting serious about this horrendous problem that we face.”

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Later, the political strategist – who supported Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid – admitted he’d rather see her name on the ballot under Obama’s this fall. “Obviously, I would be delighted if he picked Senator Clinton. I'm trying to be provocative in one sense,” said Carville.

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett dismissed the idea. “It's been said that the vice presidency isn't worth a bucket of - you know the rest of the line. To do it twice, I don't know that someone would want to do it twice. He's been there, done that.” He added that Gore would probably not want to put himself “in a subordinate role” – and that Obama needed a foreign policy expert as his running mate.

Both Carville and Bennett are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Annick ,Maryland

Just pundits game who have nothing more to think about since the ending of the primaries

June 11, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  2. McBush

Take Mccain out of the race Obama and bring the country back on its feet. Noooooooooooooooooooooooo Mcshame we dont want Bush to stay in office foure more years!!!!! Obama 08

June 11, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  3. AB

I agree. Obama/Gore '08

June 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  4. Larry Thomas Black

Actually, I would like to see Al Gore nominated as president with Barack Obama as Vice President. That would give us a seasoned man at the helm who is concerned about the environment and a bright young man gaining experience by getting "on the job" training for 4 years. Sen. Clinton would make a fine member of the triumvirate as Secretary of State.

June 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  5. JOSE ALCANTARA

I SEE AN IMPORTANT PERSON IN MR. GORE, INTELLIGENT, A TRUCK OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS KNOWLEDGE, ETC. ETC. BUT,
    AT THIS TIME, AND TO GO BACK AS VP, I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT
    HE WOULD ACCEPT UNDER ANY CONDITION, BUT ONLY FOR THE OPPORTUNITY OF BEING THERE AND JUST BE IN STAND BY,
    MAY BE, FOR 2012. OBAMA MIGHT NOT WANT A BOSS AT HIS
    SIDE. I HOPE HE CAN GET THE BEST AMONG THE TWENTY OR SO.

GOOD LUCK .-

Jose Alcantara, NYC NY

June 11, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  6. Slider

Please do push to have Al run again, Mr. Carville.

A holdover from the machine Obama just defeated smacks of change we can all believe in.

You Democrats are just pathetic.

Maybe McCain will pick as his running matey, Vaclav Klaus. Won't that be an interesting debate, Jimmy boy?

There'll be nowhere for Fatboy Al to run to in hopes of ducking another debate.

June 11, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  7. chhabili

Now that the Clintons fade into oblivion, I am hopeful that his band of thugs, Carville, Begala, McCauliffe and other blowhards will exit the media as well. The politics of division are over and so should the politics of Clinton pack of noisemakers.

June 11, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  8. deroy

no it should be mccain.

unity ticket.

or kerry or bill clinton.

June 11, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  9. Michael

Good Lord, the Inventor of the Internet is back! There's no way...

June 11, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  10. Richardson for V.P

here's the beginning of the clinton conspiracy

June 11, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  11. Eunice

It is highly unlikely that Gore would take it and I think almost insulting to be offered to him.

June 11, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  12. Len PA

That's totally absurd. Maybe Gore as Prez and Obama returns to the senate. How dare anybosy suggest that Gore should serve under Obama. Gore was robbed in 2000, and he should be the nominee before Obama.

June 11, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  13. Nick Wright

There's a better chance of George Bush kissing James Carville on the lips.

June 11, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  14. Clinton

I would like for Obama to consider Colin Powell for his VP; otherwise Hillary is the more likely choice.

June 11, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  15. Maria Antoniou

James Carville tries to become relevant. Yet, he has to realize that he belongs to a different era of political behavior. At this point, he should get a real job.

June 11, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  16. O-Blah-Ma

Why not Jimmy Carter? The two are identical.

June 11, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  17. dres

Gore is great.... but i think his goal isnt going back to the white house

WE are ready for Nov.

Obama'08

June 11, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  18. G. Penley

Al Gore is a charlatan. I am a geologist, and believe me, the man knows nothing of global warming. He plays to the publics fears.

June 11, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  19. Kayleen from Guam

Obama's VP can be anything – economy guru or foreign relations expert , etc. But what does Obama bring to the table – Community Relations?

June 11, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  20. Linda

No- President!

June 11, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  21. Harry

Carville is right!

June 11, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  22. shannon

good idea...unless your name is Al Gore.

June 11, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  23. Anonymous

yes yes yes yes yes.........i've been saying that )about al gore running) for-e-v-e-r!!! he's a great man, and really need to be encouraged to get out there again. "we need you al".

June 11, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  24. Michelle TX

I have often admire James Carville but this time I think he missed the boat. If this country is asking for change why would we recycle a former VP and unsuccessful presidential candidate. VP Gore has a role to play and hopefully it will involve work on the environment his forte, but it is time to move on.

June 11, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  25. Aaron

I would be all for it, but I doubt Mr. Gore would accept.

June 11, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |