June 12th, 2008

DNC moving operations to Chicago

The DNC is making plans to move a large portion of its operations to Chicago .
The DNC is making plans to move a large portion of its operations to Chicago .

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Democratic National Committee announced Thursday that a significant part of their operations would be moving from Washington to Chicago, the home of the Obama campaign.

“We've begun a transition period here at the DNC that fully integrates our operations in DC with the Obama operation in Chicago and in the states,” DNC spokeswoman Karen Finney tells CNN. “Our goal is to quickly consolidate these efforts into one operation and effectively drive one national strategy.”

The political, field and constituency operations are being moved to Obama's Chicago headquarters, while the research and communications departments will remain in DC.

After winning the nomination, Obama decided to keep Howard Dean on as chairman of the DNC, and sent over senior aide Paul Tewes to oversee the collaboration.

“When the nominee comes in, we essentially merge the Democratic National Committee with the campaign of the presidential candidate,” Dean told reporters on Tuesday, “there’s not going to be a coordination problem.”

Finney emphasized that the goal is for Obama and DNC staffers to feel part of “one big team” and to eliminate any redundancies. She pointed to 2004 as an example of when the Kerry campaign and DNC resources wastefully overlapped.

DNC staffers in Washington will also have the opportunity to work in other states – both the Obama campaign and the DNC have staff in all 50 states and many will work under the same roof.

“The blending of the cultures is not hard at all, it’s pretty seamless,” said Finney.

Details are still being worked out, how many staffers and who will technically employ them is still unclear.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • DNC • Popular Posts
  1. ok

so? hillary supporters are so whiny.

June 12, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  2. Re: Roxy

could someone explain how a life long democrat who believes in the values and policies of the deomcratic party can vote for McCain? what is it about Obama that is so troubling to you that you would turn to vote for values and policies you haven't supported your entire adult life?

June 12, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  3. john

Gon't be too hard on John McCains age Barak. We over seventies are entitled to have our SENIOR MOMENTS( Temporary memory lapses). We generally catch up in the middle of that night or early next morning. LOL

June 12, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  4. Yahoo

Well said Roxy – me too!!!

June 12, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  5. Peter, Btown, Wa

why ?

June 12, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  6. ao

more control – yesssss – more power – yessssss – indeed... change to full centralization and consolidation of power (and money – hence the internal "reform")

June 12, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  7. D - CA

This is an exexcellent.

Roxy – perhaps you will be better off. Seems you rather like chaos. I hope you are definitely disappointed – OBAMA will be president. You will live to regret your decision, I am afraid.

As for Donna Brazile's desire for a new coalition. It appears that that is exactly what she's gotten with this move.

Unfortunately, it's not the first time in my adult life I've heard such foolihness.

June 12, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  8. Whatever Roxy -

Truth of the matter is, racist people will never vote for Obama. He has the same stance on the issues as Clinton, yet some Clinton supporters won't support him?

The only reason is because of the deep seeded racism that many of them are unaware of within themselves.

McCain is on the other side of the issures for 95% of what Clinton supports. (Education, Healthcare, WOMENS issues, the war, the economy, taxes etc, etc, the list goes on and on).

But CNN and no other media is talking about the obvious. So the media was unfair to Clinton in many cases. That is not OBAMA's fault, that is a consequence of Clinton's history with this country and YES because she is a woman. But it is still not OBAMAs fault that this country is still so sexist. No more than it is Clinton's fault that the country still has so many RACIST people.

All those racist who will not vote for OBAMA need to grow up and realize that everyone is not cut from the same mold. People will be different from you. And Blacks did not choose to be in this country, for the most part they were brought here.

June 12, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  9. Kiki

I think I'm trapped back in time. I still believe Hillary will become the next President. Do I need professional help?

June 12, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  10. For Those Dems Voting For McCain...

Thanks Roxy. I'm sure we'll find someone else more than willingly to fill your space on the invite list to the biggest historical celebration this country's ever seen...President Obama's innaugaration ball in January 2009.

June 12, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  11. uninspired

For the FIRST time in my life I will vote REPUBLICAN. Scary:.....hell yes
    but even scarier is OBAMA and his unpatriotic wife, Michelle in the White House pushing for a new AMERICA.... their version of a country to be proud of.

I'm sorry to say but for the first time in my life I am not proud of this country.

Uninspired

June 12, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  12. robert

I hate the DNC and now Obama is taking over. i am a independent now since the DNC thinks that i'm half a voter. I will remember in November DNC. McCain 08! Hillary 2012!

June 12, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  13. JG

I think you already were Republican, the statement you just made does not make any sense?

June 12, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  14. L MIAMI FLORIDA

BARRY AKA BARACK ,

ARE YOU THROWING LARRY SINCLAIR UNDER THE BUS TOO?

June 12, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  15. Kiki

"For the first time in my life as an African American women, I will not vote for Obama."

June 12, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  16. 1st Mrs. McCain is the Real Hero..

well "Roxy" I smell a rat... Not buy'n it... you give yourself away..

June 12, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  17. jerry

oboy more crooked Chicago politics, way to go dnc, you have lost my support

June 12, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  18. Tony in NM

oh, roxy

McBush thanks you.

June 12, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  19. Lisa

"For the first time in my life we have two complete idiots running for office."

June 12, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  20. veronica from jersey

jaja isnt that something roxy...i feel the same way..but the other way around! this will be my first time voting democrat

OBAMA 08!!!
    NO MORE REPUBLICANS IN THE WHITE HOUSE

June 12, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  21. Leroy Sturdivant

I guess the DNC is really is 4 change b/c i have never heard this happening at anytime when someone is running 4 president.

polkton, north carolina

June 12, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  22. Stephen - IL

I take it you haven't looked at John McCain's votes that pertain to women. You are really showing us!

June 12, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  23. Cindy,CA

Test. see it this gets posted. Global Poverty Act

June 12, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  24. Franky

Hell yeah!!! We haven't been this powerful since it was the MJ dynasty years, LOL!!

June 12, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  25. Lolerskates

Good for you Roxy. I think you should vote for whoever you want to.

Now shut up about it.