June 12th, 2008

Nicholson the kiss of death for prez candidates?

(CNN) - Is famed actor Jack Nicholson's support a kiss of death for Democratic presidential hopefuls?

According to The Washington Post, the Hollywood star picks presidential candidates who have repeatedly gone down in defeat.

Consider his track record this year: The newspaper reports Nicholson made his first foray into the 2008 presidential race by writing a $500 check to Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich's campaign on January 10, two weeks before he ended his presidential bid

Nicholson later wrote checks to help both Delaware Sen. Joe Biden and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd pay off their campaign debts – both candidates ended their bids in early January.

In late February, Nicholson donated the maximum $2,300 to Hillary Clinton's White House bid. She went on to win the Ohio and Texas primaries days later, though her presidential hopes ultimately came up short.

According to the Post, Nicholson had yet to give to Barack Obama through the end of April.

Nicholson has a history of showing reluctance to the Democratic party's eventual nominee. In 2000, he backed former New Jersey Sen. Bill Bradley over Al Gore, and in 2004 he didn't support a candidate at all until Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry had already wrapped up the nomination.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. LadyWriter214

Jack Nicholson & Marlon Brando = BEST actors!

Hillary Clinton = BEST candidate for President!

June 12, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. Luis

AWARE,

You are one of the few on this blog with any common sense. These lemmings are entertaining though............

Liberalism is a mental disease...............

June 12, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  3. Mel Springfield, Oregon

Oh thanks Sal, I'm a mother with 2 men serving our country in the military.

June 12, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. Joe

I don't care about this at all!! Jack Nicholson has nothing to do with this election. The only thing I care about is getting this country back on track....by electing Barack Obama! I'm telling you all right now......LISTEN UP BOTH DEMOCRATS AND REPLUBLICANS....if you elect John McCain to the Presidency, we better get ready for WORLD WAR III. He seems very much like a war monger who's mad at foreigners, and determined to make somebody pay for the time he spent in Vietnamese custody as a POW. I admire him for his great service, but I'll be terrified if his finger is on the RED button in the White House. His temper gets the best of him too much, and could get us into trouble worldwide. I like the way Obama is calm not matter what the situation. Now THAT, is the leader America needs!!!

June 12, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  5. LAKERS ????

BAYOU JOE..............Come out for Obama, please , I am begging for your endorsement of Obama. You know how to pick losers...............He picked Hillary in the Primary ..........He is backing the LAKERS lets see how that work.............LAST YEAR HE ENDORSED BOZO and course YOU WON!!!!!!!

June 12, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. Naomi

Jack you don't have the magic touch, Sorry!

June 12, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  7. Ernest

Jack chill out and donate to Obama's campaign. This is no country for old men anymore.

June 12, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  8. Mary

This "story" really isn't worth a comment.

June 12, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  9. JFK

Good, send a check to Obama!

June 12, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  10. virginia

Please Jack, for the love of all that's holy......LOSE YOUR CHECKBOOK!!!!!!

June 12, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. Steve

S. Wright..."Marxist Media"????? Do you have any idea what a Marxist is? You really need to get out of that basement apartment at your mom's house and get some sunshine. Step away from the radio, son. Go get yourself an education. I know, I know, anything more than a 5th grade education is "elitist" and "left wing" but believe me, there's a big beautiful world out there that you'll discover, once you learn to read without moving your lips.

June 12, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  12. Tully, San Leandro , CA

I don't care whom Jack Nicholson donates his money to, it's his money and his right to do what he likes with it. Don't we live in a free country?
    Jack Nicholson is a great actor. That's all.

June 12, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. Dusacre

Jack Nicholson,

IN THAT CASE, PLEASE SEND A CHECK TO GRANDPA MCCAIN.
    SEND HIM THE MAX ; HE CANNOT HANDEL THE TRUTH

LOL

June 12, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  14. carl

So nicholson has not supported Obama with his checkbook? So can i see the list of those who care???

June 12, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  15. USAF

To Angela,

My future will not be thrown away, I will be just fine thank you. Before you open your mouth the next time have a little substance. Barack Obama has no substanse Explain to all of us what his "Foriegn Policy Is" Immediate with draw from Iraq is not an option. not only would it put the troops who are awaiting redeployment at risk, it would turn into a breeding ground for terroists. But being a civilian with NO military experience you wouldnt understand the whole concept of troop withdraw.

Second, Are you a firm believer of Socialism.....Do you think its fair that we need to help support people who have made bad financial decisions. Do you want to pay for your neghbor who decided not to work and cant afford the big house he bought. NOT MY PROBLEM. Universal Health care for everybody even if they choose not to work. Again NOT MY PROBLEM. I work 60 hours a week and never complain I have no desire to give my hard earned money to the government to redistribute to the "Less Fortunate"

June 12, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  16. Sylvia Johnsen

My guess is Mr. Nicholson said he's declining to support Obama after the disgraceful race he ran, and the Obama campaign leaks this trash ot take away any sting they might feel when Nicholson make it public he'll vote for McCain.

June 12, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  17. What if?

To......LadyWriter214 June 12th, 2008 2:23 pm ET.........Jack Nicholson & Marlon Brando = BEST actors!........Hillary Clinton = BEST candidate for President! IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE...SHE DIDN'T WIN.....................Hillary is living her millionaire life style, VACATIONING in the sun, while voters like you sit steal in time, concentrating on the WHAT IF……I'm sure you are on her mind at this very moment............Hello…..The world is moving forward WITH you, or WITHOUT you….

June 12, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  18. Tony C.

Retire Jack. You time has come and long GONE!

June 12, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. What if?

All this negative talk about Oprah and what she do with her money.... Jealousy gets you no where!.... The words of McCain...I guess because she's black and Obama biracial.....that's not important...they both are stars...…but non of you are upset about how Jack spends his money on and for who....he has donated to several candidates...... two rich stars, donating (their OWN) money for their interest in politics………………

I guess it depends on the star, their color, their richness and if prejudice-jealousy people are commenting at the time……….

THANKS OPRAH FOR LETTING US GET TO KNOW OUR NEW PRESIDENT!

June 12, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  20. Luis

@NYC Native -Obama "extreme left wing?" That must make me a Little Red Book waving Maoist

An important part of rehab is recognizing you have a problem. Good for you. We can begin bringing you back to the real world.

Vote McCain or join the insane.......you know, like Blake

June 12, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  21. Posn

Okaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy..................... Now what?

June 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  22. H.Skank

I like Jack (as an actor). The fact that he donated to multiple candidates is not news and is not a jinx. Many people that believe in their party will send donations to various candidates.

I don't see the newsworthy aspect of this article though. Must be slow on the news front since the primaries are over.

June 12, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  23. Jess

What is a Hollywood start?????????

June 12, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  24. Angela

USAF,
    My husband served in the military for 24 years under several presidents–he gave his loyalty to all of them, whether he agreed with their policies or not and whether he voted for them or not–they were his commanders-in-chief. Fine if you do not like Obama, and want to support McCain–not my problem. If Hillary had won, she would have tried to implement the same programs Obama is proposing.

By the way, I did not open my mouth–I type with my fingers.

June 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  25. Bella from Florida

Every day that goes by Obama seems to be less and less electable.
    People are very skeptical about his believes and about what his real solutions would be for our country. Many people do not really like McCain , however, it would be save to vote for him because people know his life story and people feel more comfortable with him. Many people are asking themselves who is this man Obama? I am a Hillary supporter and I believe she was the best candidate of the other two. I also believe that Michelle Obama is going to hurt Obama's credibility. When Michelle Obama speaks she seems to be angry and bitter.Why is she so angry and bitter?

June 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |