June 12th, 2008

Paul: 'People will have a chance' with Barr

CNN

Watch Ron Paul's interview Thursday.

(CNN)— Rep. Ron Paul had some words of praise for recently declared Libertarian presidential nominee Bob Barr Thursday, calling him a ‘very positive’ influence on the presidential race.

Paul, who never officially ended his own Republican presidential bid, told American Morning Anchor John Roberts, “[Barr] talks our language, so I do really believe that he can have a very positive effect in this campaign and let the people know that limited government is a very, very important message.”

Echoing the principals he based his own presidential run on, the Texas congressman said Americans’ voices will be heard with Barr, and he “gives everybody a choice in the matter.”

Barr, who was a former four-term Republican congressman from Georgia, left the GOP to join the Libertarian Party in 2006 and officially won the its presidential nomination late last month.

Asked of speculation surrounding the creation of his own convention in September, Paul said he and his supporters won’t be there to cause problems for the Republican Party.

“We’re not going to disrupt them,” he said. “We’re not going to demonstrate as much as present a positive case for values that we believe should be the Republican values.”

Paul, who has made it clear in past interviews he will not support John McCain because of their differing views, said again Thursday he disagrees with the Arizona senator on foreign policy and economic relief.

“I would say [McCain] does not represent limited government values, and the republicans deserve to hear the other side of the story.”

Programming Note: Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul will be in “The Situation Room” Friday. What would you like to ask him? Put your question on video and you could be featured on CNN.

Filed under: Bob Barr • John McCain • Popular Posts • Ron Paul
  1. voter from CT

Lisa, yea lets put most hard working construction workers trying to make ends meat for their family out of a job this summer for you to save 30 dollars...way to go!

June 12, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  2. Mike in NYC

Enlightened Voter wrote:

"Thank you Obama for being a breath of fresh air. I truly believe the universe is giving us a chance to save ourselves, hope we don't blow it."

I try not to blame BO for the cognitive disabilities of many of his supporters, as exemplified by the gem quoted above.

I admired Ron Paul for the simple reason that he refused to talk down to anyone.

B. Churchill wrote:

"Ron Paul's early writings – there are reams of them – are full of racist and homophobic rants – (about the coming race wars and such).”

The US, in case you hadn't noticed, is rapidly Balkanizing.

A "post-racial," pan-ethnic paradise is a pipe dream.

June 12, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. Andy J, NY

It is amazing and depressing at the same time to see all the posts denouncing the Libertarian party.

The funny thing is that it seems to be liberals who are spewing most of the hate and venom.

Instead of gobbling up the garbage you are spoon fed by CNN and the Democratic party , why don't you look into the ideas of the Libertarians.

If you don't like the Libertarians, a very strong case could be made that you don't like the Founding Father or the ideas upon which our country was built. Sad and shameful, you liberals are blind sheep who love to be lead by your elitist masters. Baaaaahhhhhh baaaaaaaahhhh say the sheep.

June 12, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Lisa

Yeah, I went to Europe with $500 and they gave me $200 back. That's why I only have 50 cents in the bank and I need that $30 that Barack said was not a lot of money so I can buy food for dinner tonight.

June 12, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  5. New Day

Breaking News: Bob Dole and Walter Mondale have been nominated as the presidential ticket for the "Cure Insomnia Now" Party.

June 12, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. Mike

I have voted Republican in every election since I was 18. This year, me and everyone I know is voting for Barr.

I don't trust McCain – he's too much like Bush.

Barr in '08!

June 12, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. D. King

I don't think even Ron Paul could save this country now with so many McSames in the senate and congress. All they care about is getting as much as they can for their district and to heck with the overall good. Without a serious overhaul of our legislative system America is heading toward a point of economic disaster.

June 12, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  8. Jeff in Illinois

Maybe some day the Libertarian Party will become what the Republican party "of old" was. While not perfect, I liked the old small federal government, small spending, small taxing method. The current Republican party has been infiltrated by too many Neoconservative super-spenders, and American Job Exporters.

This is why I am a Democrat now. If the Republican Party hadn't abandoned all of their principles, I'd be a Republican.

June 12, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  9. Andy J, NY

To the genius who claims Mr. Barr is a fascist:

He is emphasizing personal choice, which i would describe as ultimate freedom.

Libertarians don't want the government uninvolved in our personal liberties- They want our personal liberties protected by keeping the government out of our private lives.

When you have the government breathing down your neck, telling you what to think about gays and other social issues, well, that is what you call fascism. Take a history lesson, pal.

June 12, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  10. Lisa

That's why Barack won because his supporters believe that $30 is not a lot of money. If $30 is not a lot of money can I borrow it then? I asked Barack and he said no.

June 12, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. DJ, Los Angeles

Many conservatives hate McCain anyway and would rather throw their vote away on Barr than him.

Not only that by many Republicans concede that they will probably lose anyway so might as well vote for Barr.

June 12, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  12. Rico in Arkansas

GO AHEAD AND VOT BARR! ONLY REPUBS WILL DO SO AND THAT WILL ENSURE AN OBAMA VICTORY.
    NO RIGHT MINDED DEMOCRAT WOULD VOTE FOR BARR OR MCCAIN SO THEY DRAW FROM THE SAME POOL OF VOTERS.

@LISA: YOU ARE AN IDIOT! OBAMA HAS NOT BEEN SHOVED ANYWHERE. HE RAN THE BEST CAMPAIGN.

$30 BUCKS OF GAS IS NOT WORTH 30 YEARS OF DRAMA. QUIT SELLING THAT GAS TAX HOLIDAY CRAP. THAT BOAT HAS SAILED AND SUNK.

June 12, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  13. Danny

Barr is discared from GOP and Ron Pauil also should follow him. We do not ened such persons in our politics. Vote John McCain

June 12, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  14. GOP --Voters are not stupid, please STOP

This is for the GOP on their smear campaing on obama:
    Common sense: Do you think anyone can just get out there and say I want to be president without simple background checks? Employers do a background check on people and I am the secret service and FBI must have cleared Obama before hanging out with him!!!!!

This make me sick as it makes voters even look dumber! Simple facts... AND to think that this is an issue?

June 12, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  15. Marc

I'm glad Barr is in the race. It won't be Obama loosing votes, it will be McCain. This is good news for us and bad news for Mcdummy. Barr is a Republican and he will attract the Reagan Deomcrats. These women who are so mad that they lost their Hillary. Barr is and will always be a Republican. He does have some big lips though. That is for his funny business. Check out Barr's record. Go women, vote for Barr, you will be putting Obama in the White House.

June 12, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. JB

I have found in my experience, that those who don't like Libertarians usually make terrible decisions in life and want someone else to bail them out of their crappy situations that came about because of their crappy choices. Personal responsibility needs to make a big come back in our Country.

June 12, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  17. Darth Vadik, CA

In a society with more than 100 people

LIBRETARIANISM DOESN NOT WORK

June 12, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  18. FactCheck

> Obama said $30 is not a lot of money, shouldn't he be running as a
    > Republican? $30 is a lot if you only have 50 cents on the bank.

It's not a lot when the $30 saved costs you from having safer bridges, roads and otherwise compromises the infrastructure of our highways. Or maybe you should stop thinking like a Third World dictator.

June 12, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  19. James

JB: Personal responsibility has gone out of style in America. Democrats don't believe that you CAN take care of yourself or should be forced to, and Republicans believe that you should not be allowed to.

June 12, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  20. Jack in ND

""WE NEED BILLARY BACK!!!!""

Sorry, there will be no endruns around the constitution this time.

Already had President Billary for two terms.

June 12, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  21. Ian

-We're still paying into Social Security
    -We're borrowing billions a day for Iraq
    -We're paying over $4 a gallon in gas
    -We're paying at least double on food
    -We're paying for military bases in over 130 countries
    -We're paying for the CIA, FBI, NSA, DHS, DOD
    -We're about to go for national healthcare

See you in the food line!

June 12, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  22. Jim Nebraska

I wouldn't worry too much about Barr or Ron Paul...McCain will win the general...check out the stories on the RealDealReport website to see what I mean. I do know one thing though...Obama's chances are slim..

June 12, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  23. al

******************************************
    AS A REPUBLICAN IM CONFUSED.................. PARTY CANDIDATES THAT CANT AGREE ON THE SAME PLATFORM. MY MONEY NOT HAVING THE SAME VALUE SINCE ALL PRICES ARE GOING UP. PLEASE TELL ME WHY I SHOULD VOTE REPUBLICAN? STOP THE MADNESS. VOTE OBAMA.

June 12, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  24. voter from CT

Lisa go ahead and vote Mccain in and see how much better your money situation become's, not to mention what will happen to women rights, and women's health care, and Roe vs wade, you can forget that...go ahead and vote for Mccain, after all I'm not as bad as you money wise, I could live through Mccain probably, I just feel bad for the other people including our children, and other women who will lose the right's they've worked hard for and earned, ignorance is bliss...

June 12, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  25. Dave

Looks like I'll have to back Barr instead of the corporate clown/puppets from the two party system. Those two are the best that money could buy from the military/industrial complex. The elites win again.

June 12, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |