June 12th, 2008

Paul: 'People will have a chance' with Barr

CNN

Watch Ron Paul's interview Thursday.

(CNN)— Rep. Ron Paul had some words of praise for recently declared Libertarian presidential nominee Bob Barr Thursday, calling him a ‘very positive’ influence on the presidential race.

Paul, who never officially ended his own Republican presidential bid, told American Morning Anchor John Roberts, “[Barr] talks our language, so I do really believe that he can have a very positive effect in this campaign and let the people know that limited government is a very, very important message.”

Echoing the principals he based his own presidential run on, the Texas congressman said Americans’ voices will be heard with Barr, and he “gives everybody a choice in the matter.”

Barr, who was a former four-term Republican congressman from Georgia, left the GOP to join the Libertarian Party in 2006 and officially won the its presidential nomination late last month.

Asked of speculation surrounding the creation of his own convention in September, Paul said he and his supporters won’t be there to cause problems for the Republican Party.

“We’re not going to disrupt them,” he said. “We’re not going to demonstrate as much as present a positive case for values that we believe should be the Republican values.”

Paul, who has made it clear in past interviews he will not support John McCain because of their differing views, said again Thursday he disagrees with the Arizona senator on foreign policy and economic relief.

“I would say [McCain] does not represent limited government values, and the republicans deserve to hear the other side of the story.”

Programming Note: Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul will be in “The Situation Room” Friday. What would you like to ask him? Put your question on video and you could be featured on CNN.

Filed under: Bob Barr • John McCain • Popular Posts • Ron Paul
  1. Darryl Schmitz

Thank you for the report, Emily. CBS News, NBC News and Fox News have been absolutely abysmal in their yellow journalism treatment of Ron Paul. Yours, ABC News and PBS Newshour have been SIGNIFICANTLY less biased in coverage of the presidential primaries. The differences have been staggering, and hopefully have opened a lot of people's eyes to the widely varying levels of ethics in the media.

June 12, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  2. Billy from Fl

ANYONE IS BETTER THAN OBAMA

June 12, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  3. grace from DC/GA

Alright! Many, many Libertarians and Republicans who dislike McCain, especially in GA, will vote for Barr. I think he will pull way more voters from McCain than Nader will from Obama. Nader is ancient history, we've been down that path before. But I've got family and acquaintances who I know will vote for Barr. He can only help Obama in this year's election. Go Obama! Go Barr!

Yes, America does need a third party, but that won't happen until major electoral reform happens. And that won't happen with the two-parties in control, so we're stuck with what we've got. That said, I honestly think Obama can provide inspirational leadership and rational policies for positive change.

June 12, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  4. Dave

that's funny, JB, you sound like you're talking about a lot of Dems and GOP's I know that made crappy choices on their home loans and now want the government (or should I say the taxpayers) to bail them out.

June 12, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  5. Beautiful

Go Obama! I hope he splits the republicans vote, because John Mccain is not offering America anything. He's an old "fat cat" trying to do the dirty work for America's wealthy and I'm tired of poor white people voting for this type of crap, which has hindered America's progress.

June 12, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  6. ???

If there's anything I've learned from the past elections it's that we NEED more than two parties in our system. This would decrease the odds of another Bush/Kerry election.

June 12, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  7. JenNYC

Um, I'm from Georgia, and this guy is a Neocon through and through. He led the fight to get the anti-gay marriage amendment.

He is NOT a libertarian by any stretch of the imagination.

June 12, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  8. The Real McCain 2 on Youtube -Simply kris, NE

Within a week-and-a-half of launching, The Real McCain 2 received over 1.4 million views on Youtube.com.Have you watched it?

June 12, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  9. stu

I sure won't travel to europe with a mere $500 in my bank account ;)

June 12, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  10. The Real McCain - Simply_kris, NE

There's no question John McCain is getting a free ride from the mainstream press. But with the power of YouTube and the blogosphere, we can provide an accurate portrayal of the so-called Maverick. We can put the brakes on his free ride!

Since the release of "The Real McCain" a year ago, our REAL McCain series has garnered close to 2 million views, with over 13,000 comments and tens of thousands more in petition signatures! Clearly, John McCain's record is something the public wants to discuss, and yet the corporate media is doing NOTHING to present the truth.

June 12, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  11. Jayson

The Libertarian party needs to concentrate on building up a base and stop throwing away money on the presidential election

June 12, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  12. US Sailor

Lisa – you must be 12 years old? However, I will help you out, cancel your internet connection and that should save you ~$30 a month for life. If your really hard up cancel your cable and look for coupons.

Crying about coming back from a European trip with no money isn't going to help you win an argument on personal finance.

June 12, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  13. Raihan Islam, PA

I am pretty proud to admit that my beliefs and values align with the Libertarian Party. However, we need a serious change from the current Republican Party's values. We need progression, and then we can normalize to libertarian values. President Bush redefined the Republican Party, and people aren't going to take it anymore.

June 12, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  14. martin

you go ,paul!keep dividing your worthless party.you are a man of integrity,why don't you propose bush's impeachment?

June 12, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  15. John

While I plan to support Barack Obama in the general election this fall I agree that we need a strong, viable third party. The only way to truly fight corruption and have real change in Washington is to be rid of Coke/Pepsi politics.

Too bad neither the Green Party nor Libertarian party seem to have enough support or solid candidates to make a difference. Maybe they should start on the local levels.

June 12, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  16. Mark

A vote for McCain is a vote for McCain.

A vote for Obama is a vote for Obama.

A vote for Nader is a vote for Nader.

A vote for Barr is a vote for Barr.

I am very interested in listening to Ron Paul speak at the republican convention. It would be wonderful if he actually to the nomination away from McCain.

If Ron Paul is the nominee I will be voting for him. If he does not end up on the ballot, I will vote for the Libertatian candidate because I am tired of the Republican Democrat back and forth politics as usual mentality.

I urge those of you not happy with your parties candidate choice to look at Ron Paul as well as the Libertarian Party.

June 12, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  17. Say No more wars ! - Simply_kris, NE.

What could be more dangerous is electing a president who doesnt know/remember his view on things.We(or the world) cannot afford another "war" chanter.Say NO to McOld.

Obama 08-16 !

June 12, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  18. Wooo

Do you believe that Obama or McCain support the Bill of Rights (U..S.
    Constitution).? What I have seen they spin the subject, unlike Ron
    Paul, who is a man of principle that support the Constitution.

June 12, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  19. Lisa

I went to Europe with only $500 to find a job. It's clear that America is starting to become a third world country and I'm preparing in advance.

Barack Obama or Senator Mccain are not qualifed to lead this country out of a recession. I wish you all the best, good luck in the future with one of these two idiots running this country.

June 12, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  20. grace from DC/GA

@ Martin: Kucinich has already proposed Bush's impeachment. Too bad it's merely a gesture that won't really go anywhere.

June 12, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  21. Political Debris

Thanks Bob, you are really trying to help the Democrats out, arent ya.

June 12, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  22. monterey via memphis tn

paul and barr will be the ralph nader for the repubs this year way to go guys thanks...

OBAMA/WEBB 08-16

June 12, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  23. Phil in KC

Barr and Paul should more than offset the Nader effect on the Democrat side. I hope they rob lots of the neo-con votes from McCain.

June 12, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  24. Bayou Joe

Ron Paul is senile lunatic with no ties to the Republican party. He and Barr are Libertarians, that makes them closer to Obama in ideology. Left wing ideologues do not win elections in the United States. Never have never will. Americans are smarter than what we give them credit for.

June 12, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. Joe PA

$30 is not a lot of money. If it was I wouldn't be able to donate $25 every month to Obama.

Obama 08