June 12th, 2008

Polls: Obama extending lead over McCain

Obama us ahead in the latest CNN poll of polls.
Obama us ahead in the latest CNN poll of polls.

(CNN) - Barack Obama is continuing to extend his lead over John McCain in a head-to-head matchup nationwide, a new CNN poll of polls indicates.

Check out the latest polls in the CNN Election Center

The Illinois senator now holds a 5 point lead over McCain among registered voters, 48 percent to 43 percent. In a CNN poll of polls conducted earlier this week, Obama's lead stood at 4 points, and in an average of national polls shortly before Hillary Clinton dropped out of the presidential race, Obama only held a 3 point lead over the Arizona senator.

The poll of polls consists of three recent surveys by Gallup, NBC/Wall Street Journal, and CNN/Opinion Research Corporation. The CNN poll was conducted entirely before Clinton formally gave up her White House bid on Saturday.

1. Henry - Glenview, IL

It is offensive to me that, after what has happened to this country for the last 8 years under Republican rule, McCain even has a chance!

June 12, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  2. Denise P Quinton

I also wonder who are who polling, out of all my lifelong family members one of whom has PHD in National Secucrity and Public Policy (so education is not a factor), none of us have been polled and we will all be casting our vote for a capable President, MCCAIN 08.
    Obama will never stop the rumor poll because in fact a lot of it is truth, his wife Michelle said many times, "we will get rid of the whities."

June 12, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  3. MD in GA

That's good news. And for those of you who think young people will not show up to vote this year, you are dead wrong. I have two daughters who have never had much interest in going to the polls on election day. This year they asked to go WITH me. This isn't some computer game to them.

Remember, these are the people who are being sent to Iraq. Not folks like you and me. 90% of them don't want to serve in the Armed Forces (and don't). Even more of them don't agree with the war at all.

They want to stay home and go to college, get married, have families, have decent careers. You know, EGGHEAD kind of stuff.

They will turn out and lots of them will be voting for Senator Obama.

June 12, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  4. Kendra

Addendum to my previous post: Your beloved Clinton has even stated that Obama is the better choice over McCain and put her full support behind him, so how supportive of Hillary can you be if you now go against what she stands for and says.

June 12, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. Billiam

Also: Welcome to all of you Obama Republicans. There are alot of you out there. Thanks.

June 12, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  6. lime

I dont know where you are getting your polling data from. I am a Democrat of 40 years and I can honestly say that I dont know anyone who is planning on voting Obama in November.

June 12, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  7. Democrat in 08!

Well thats great its about time "kids" got to decide this election because the so call grown ups have done a terrible job of deciding as evident by the last 7yrs!

June 12, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  8. Hillary Democrats for OBAMA

Obama will be president and Hillary will continue her fight against McCain and the failed Republican policies that have devistated the US economy, castrated the Military and destroyed OUR image around the world. Change is we the people taking back our country.

June 12, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  9. Mary in CT

I heard an interview on the radio with McCain and Lieberman, and just after Lieberman praised McCain for being a man of principle whose policies reflect his convictions and not his political aspirations, McCain started mocking economists for their disapproval of his gas tax relief proposal. "Ask low-income Americans if they would like to see a little relief," he said. Uh, that misses the point. Ask anyone if they would like a million dollars - what are you going to do about it? The gas tax relief plan is not feasible unless Congress can find a way to control the prices the oil company sets, and no one has even suggested that is possible. If you remove the tax (which, by the way, is not even legal in every state), the oil companies can just keep the prices where they are and keep the 18.5 cents/gallon for themselves.

I know most of you know this, but it is an example of McCain wandering off the reservation of "principle" to make populist points that will never be realized in policy. He knows better than this, but he hopes the American public doesn't.

June 12, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  10. mike

Yes, push hem away such unneeded campain!

June 12, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  11. gobo

Caryn, WDC:

Given the current climate, I am also amazed where this 43% support for McCain comes from.

June 12, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  12. SteveLeft

Republicans believe in the same old politics. Don't believe in their tyrannical beliefs and self-promoting hypocrisy. George Bush is the last in line for your fine dynasty. I can't wait for universal health care, a sustaining infrastructure, alternative fuel resources, and a surplus in work. That is what the American Dream is, our country is currently in an American Deficit.

Vote for Hope, Vote for Change!

Obama '08

June 12, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  13. Berat, Park Ridge, IL

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

YOU CAN'T POLL A POLL, CNN!!! IT IS AN INANIMATE OBJECT THAT CANNOT RESPOND TO THE QUESTIONS CONTAINED IN A POLL!!!

Thank you.

June 12, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  14. Rick

This Obama is a clown in every sense of the word. If people actually paid attention they would see what a loser the guy really is......

June 12, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  15. E. C., Houston, Texas

HEAVEN HELP THE UNITED STATES, IF PEOPLE ACTUALLY VOTE FOR THIS INEXPERIENCED, UNQUALIFIED, CLOSET RADICAL IN NOVEMBER! OBAMA IS A SIMPLE MAVERICK POLITICIAN. HE DOESN'T BELONG IN THE POSITION OF PRESIDENT. HE'S NEVER EVEN ACCOMPLISHED ONE ACHIEVEMENT IN THE SENATE.
    HE IS A FRAUD AND SHOULD NOT HAVE EVEN BEEN IN THE CAMPAIGN AS THE NOMINEE. THAT BHO COULD ACTUALLY WIN IN NOVEMBER WOULD BE A BLANTANT INSULT TO THE WISDOM, INTELLECT, AND PROVEN LEADERSHIP OF THE UNITED STATES CONGRESS AND THE AMERICAN CITIZENS. OBAMA IS NOT THE MAN VOTERS THINK HE IS, FOR HE HAS NOTHING TO SHOW OR PROOF OF ACTION FOR WHAT HE BELIEVES. OBAMA HAS NEVER PARTICIPATED OR TAKEN A STAND IN THE SENATE, NOR DID HE TAKE A STAND IN ILLINOIS. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT OBAMA THINKS OR WOULD SUPPORT. HE IS STILL AN UNKNOWN. THE ONLY FACTS WE KNOW ARE HIS RELIGIOUS AFFILIATIONS WITH RACIST MINISTERS AND PRIEST AND WITH CROOKS, LIKE REZCO.

June 12, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  16. ObamaIsAlrightWithMe

For those Obama haters trying to make something negative out of the poll results:

It's actually a good thing that Obama HASN'T jumped as significantly in the polls as others have in the past. Yes, Kerry jumped 19 points, but he LOST the general election. It's more significant and important that he continues to slowly, but steadily improve in the polls, than to see a big increase (temporary) followed by a significant decrease. It's only June.

I bet these Obama haters are gonna be sick in August or September he has a double digit lead over McCain. So don't be discouraged Obamabots.

Things are going well.

June 12, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. Maureen

Come on people John McCain is a real good guy but do we really need another four years of republican rule – they've taken us back almost to the middle ages (NOT GOOD) Barack at least give us a chance to hope for better – give him a chance there is nothing to say that he's not real -he's worked hard to get where he is and somebody out there must think he's worth it (I KNOW I DO) so let's not give into the republican baloney and help our country get back on it's feet!!!!
    please vote smart and vote for the person and remember another republican means another four years of George W's BALONEY and that's saying it lightly

June 12, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  18. I'm from NC

How did it get to the point that these are our choices? Daggone it why don't we have better options.

June 12, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  19. Frank, Wayne NJ

I voted for Hillary, but now I will vote for McCain. If I had to go with the lesser of two evils, my choice would be McCain by far. Obama is not going to be good for this country, simply for the fact that he wants to "negotiate" with people who WANT TO KILL US. There is no negotiation with these kind of people. Obama, were you asleep during 9/11? I rather have a crappy economy than having to worry about some nut job blowing up my kids on their way to school. This can be a reality more so since Obama want's to ease the immigration laws. This NOT the change to believe in.

GO MCCAIN!!!!!

June 12, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  20. Berat, Park Ridge, IL

Denies P Quinton, you are a liar and a rumor-monger, and CNN, you ought to be ashamed to post lies. I'm fine with dissent; most of my friends are Republicans, in fact. I can't help it; I'm a debate junkie. But this is vile slime of the worst kind, and your news organization should NOT be giving out-and-out liars this kind of platform. Screw you, CNN - I'll never come back to this site.

June 12, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  21. Republican for Obama

I believe in November Obama's lead will be well in the double digits.

June 12, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  22. Michael Wiese

Reading the comments of Bush followers are unbelievable.
    THIS is the argument I hear them present every day:

Anyone other than a republican(like, say, a democrat) as president will result in
    -record oil and gas prices
    -a major loss of jobs in the country
    -skyrocketing health care costs
    -skyrocketing food prices
    -appeasement to dictatorships in the middle east

and this is the best one......
    -there will be a major terrorist strike on our nation's soil, claiming thousands of lives.

Tell me, is there anything else listed above that hasn't already occured under a repiglican president that you would like to scare people away from voting for Obama with?
    Anything at all?

June 12, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  23. Chuck

As more people realize that Republican rule has made their lives and America much worse off, Obama's lead will grow. The old addage holds true for Republican masters of spin: You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

June 12, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  24. Axis of Evil - OBAMA

Like we Believe these comments from people saying they were Hillary supporters and are now supporting Obama...Nice try Obama Cult!

June 12, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  25. America

This poll actually reflects the percentage if idiots in America. Kind of makes me happy because I thought for sure there were more stupid people living here. It feels good to be wrong every once in a while.

OBAMA 2008!!!