June 12th, 2008

Polls: Obama extending lead over McCain

Obama us ahead in the latest CNN poll of polls.
Obama us ahead in the latest CNN poll of polls.

(CNN) - Barack Obama is continuing to extend his lead over John McCain in a head-to-head matchup nationwide, a new CNN poll of polls indicates.

Check out the latest polls in the CNN Election Center

The Illinois senator now holds a 5 point lead over McCain among registered voters, 48 percent to 43 percent. In a CNN poll of polls conducted earlier this week, Obama's lead stood at 4 points, and in an average of national polls shortly before Hillary Clinton dropped out of the presidential race, Obama only held a 3 point lead over the Arizona senator.

The poll of polls consists of three recent surveys by Gallup, NBC/Wall Street Journal, and CNN/Opinion Research Corporation. The CNN poll was conducted entirely before Clinton formally gave up her White House bid on Saturday.

1. Danielle

I voted for Hillary Clinton, but I will never vote for Obama. I will choose Mac cain. He is the best for America.

June 12, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  2. larry

Way to go! Now lets take it all the way to the White House!

Teamsters for Obama

June 12, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  3. deb0155

I am tired of these polls! How do these people come up with the numbers. The only way to tell is on election day. Do you know how many staunch Democrats I know who are voting for McCain! (And, I'm glad they are!) I'm tired of Obama's golden boy appearance. He's a wolf in sheep's skin! To all of you who are voting for Obama, I sincerely hope you are not making over $250,000 because Obama will be taking 51% of your paycheck! Look at the reality of all of this – Obama is promising everyone EVERYTHING he possibly can – and where do you think he's getting this money from?

THINK PEOPLE! There is no change for him – he's already spent $15 million in earmarks for his district here in Chicago, Illinois. I am from Chicago – and this guy is a huge fraud!

June 12, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  4. Umpire

Don't be too down on the polls. The computation of poll-of-polls, as opposed to a single poll, has a pretty good record. For example, in 2000 it posted a Gore win that was close to his eventual win in the popular vote. He won the popular vote–and Florida–but lost in a highly partisan decision by the US Supreme Court.
    I have talked with quite a few people who have made the same decision as Julio, more among strongly pro-Clinton women than among men, so I expect Obama to run well and win. The intelligence and energy of Hillary's dedicated supporters will put many Democrats in office around the country.

June 12, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  5. Obama will NEVER be president

I am a Hillary supporter.............. I will be voting John McCain.........

June 12, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  6. chris

It's actually a good thing that he didn't get the huge bumps carter, mondale, dukakis and kerry got.

part of the reason kerry was so slow to react to the GOP "swiftboating" him was because of the false sense of security the political climate and the polls gave him.

obama understands he is the underdog, the polls remind him of that and keep him honest and on his toes. that "my friends" as mc same would say is the reason he has a chance to win this thing despite the humungous hurdles he has infront of him.

June 12, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. d

Brian in Knoxville...give it a rest. Your cover has been blown many times over. We all know that you are simply a republican operative posing as a disgruntled Democrat. Get a life, your transparent rhetoric is ignored.

June 12, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  8. KLM

Julio,
    I understand what you mean. I said I wouldn't vote for Hillary if she won the nomination over Obama. I was a fool to say that and it was during a heated moment. I would happily vote for either candidate over McDementia. I cannot take another 4 yrs of Bush policy and yes, his policies are the same as Bush and opposite Obama and Hillary.

Thank you for your support for Obama. I know we had a "heated" primary and some negative things were said and for that I want to apologize. If Obama wants us to help her w/ her debt, I would gladly donate what little I can. We need her supporters and I have no problem helping her out.

June 12, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  9. LIZ

I will not vote for Obama who can't even speak on his own without someone helppig him. He has no plans or experience to run this country. There are even rumors of terrorist organizations supporting him~~~ I don't completely believe in it but a rumor is enough to change or draw my vote the other way!!

June 12, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. scott

Sen. McSame, McBush, McSenile, said yesterday that he isn't concerned about "when" the troops would be coming home. That should be enough to make up anyone's mind about who should be elected president of this country.

June 12, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  11. vic nashville,Tn

Really !!!!!!!!!!! he is leading in the poll by 5%
    52 % un happy with Obama
    Hillary please come back
    Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

June 12, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  12. Albert MOLKO

Sorry for Hillary. but has all the critisism about Obama gone after 16 months and all the different issues treated differently all a sudden forgotten...A a Hillary supporter, I feel betrayed and concerned about her honesty vis à vis her contributors... I hate this political turnaround and letdown ...My vote NOW goes to McCain.....

June 12, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  13. Mickie in PA

I feel sorry for people like Janet and for those of us who have to suffer because of her vindictiveness. Voting for McCain because Hillary did not get nominated will only take away more women's rights long into the future once the Supreme Court Judges are appointed and she will likely be the first to complain when women have no rights left. So much anger in people who aren't even sure what they are so angry about.

June 12, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. Jerome Milwaukee WI

I hope the lead grows ten fold.

June 12, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  15. Emma

President Obama sounds nice.................................I am so excited about casting a vote for an AA who is intelligent, smart, down to earth, likeable, family man and most of all a thinking man!

June 12, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  16. Anonymous

Way to go for the DNC-appointed soviet premiere of the party. Politics as usual.

June 12, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  17. Chuck

McCain has proven to be the biggest flip-flopper of all times. He will do and say anything that the Republican machine dictates. You can tell at times that he has no real conviction in what he says because he has already contradicted himself often.

The electorate is already aware who the most honest and trustworthy candidate is.....and that is Barack Obama.

June 12, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  18. Obama is in it for Obama

So many jumping on a band wagon without a clue how to read the music. C'mon people, every single representative should be held accountable for the state of the world today. Polls are meaningless. Votes are what matter. We need options that can be verified. Take away all of the polls, the money and the hype and maybe, just maybe, a true civil servant will surface.

June 12, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  19. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Great! That number would change significantly if people would vote with their head instead of their heart.

To the Hillary supporters, can anyone tell me why they want to vote for McCain? Hillary and Obama’s policies are very, very similar. Both of their policies are like night and day compared to John McCain’s. Which leads me to draw conclusions to the fact that:

1. You wanted a woman to be president, which is really sexes and it has nothing to do with important issues, like the war in Iraq, foreclosures, unemployment, high gas prices and the list goes on and on.

2. You won't vote for Obama because he's an African American, which is really sad and if that is the case, you deserve McCain and I hope you continue to suffer under his fail George Bush’s policies.

Also, for those who cry, "Hillary had more experience". If Hillary had more experience, she would have run a better campaign and won. She had one of the worst campaigns and the biggest debt in U.S. campaign history. Also, Bill Clinton had very little experience when he won is 1992 and he did a great job as president. So basically, what is the real reason for not voting for Obama? . . . could it be # 2? Like I said, you deserve what you get and I hope you continue to suffer!

June 12, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  20. Dan

As a social conservative who vowed to never vote for McCain, I also am confronted with the prospects of Obama. He seems like a good person with relatively good morals, but what would I be swallowing if I actually voted for him...? Can any of these guys just declare Federal nutrality on cluture war issues (abortion, gay right, marriage amendment) so that I can vote for just the economy and security of America...

June 12, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  21. Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

Well, if nothing else, this indicates that the PUMA PAC psychos are not the center of the universe.

June 12, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  22. KLEM

Not only does Mc cain support GB policy, he's talking just like him amazing!!, he's using the same words, same tone, same strategy. this time they won't fool us with their let's go to war policy

June 12, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  23. Why would a woman ever vote for McCain?

This is about more than Roe vs. Wade. Obama has been endorsed by Planned Parenthood. While McCain has consistently voted against women's issues such as affordable health insurance for our children, equal pay for women, making birth control part of employee health care benefits and cancer screenings for low income women. Someone give me a reasonable explanation for why any woman in her right mind would vote for this man?

June 12, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. Marc

Obama's lead won't last long .... it's way to early to take polls. Of course CNN is bias towards Obama.

June 12, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  25. andrew

Obama will more than likely be the next president. It's the way politics run in this country. However in 4 – 8 years Obama will be next to hated and the following political candidate will come in promising all this change and promise to fix everything! Have you all forgotten politics for the last 200 years? Sheep. Your all sheep. If I have to choose it wont be someone who has less than 3 years of real political experience. Wake up and realize just because someone can talk a good game can and have they walked in the past? You will all discount this as rhetoric. Your loss, no wait, America's loss.

June 12, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |