June 12th, 2008

Polls: Obama extending lead over McCain

Obama us ahead in the latest CNN poll of polls.
Obama us ahead in the latest CNN poll of polls.

(CNN) - Barack Obama is continuing to extend his lead over John McCain in a head-to-head matchup nationwide, a new CNN poll of polls indicates.

Check out the latest polls in the CNN Election Center

The Illinois senator now holds a 5 point lead over McCain among registered voters, 48 percent to 43 percent. In a CNN poll of polls conducted earlier this week, Obama's lead stood at 4 points, and in an average of national polls shortly before Hillary Clinton dropped out of the presidential race, Obama only held a 3 point lead over the Arizona senator.

The poll of polls consists of three recent surveys by Gallup, NBC/Wall Street Journal, and CNN/Opinion Research Corporation. The CNN poll was conducted entirely before Clinton formally gave up her White House bid on Saturday.

1. Stef in Ohio

There are so many people who say he can't win. I bet at the beginning of the primaries the same people said he would NEVER win the nomination. Do not underestimate this man. I am a younger voter and the excitement of my peers is something that I have never EVER seen before. Don't count us out of think that our votes will not make a difference because we will be voting to make the right decision for the country that our generation will be forced to repair.

June 12, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  2. Abe Schenck

Kyu Reisch,

Polls are not done on the computer. They are done over the telephone and since most young people don't have land lines and change their cell phone numbers frequently, it is the older, more established members of our populace who are being polled more frequently.

And why would the overwhelmingly pro-choice HRC voters support McCain in November. I do not think that you use your brain much.

June 12, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  3. slimjoe

i am not surprise,if mccain does win this election,so americans should stop complaining about economy,iraq and so on

June 12, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  4. DAVE

AMERICA will get what they deserve. Those who vote McCain.. let me ask: are you willing to let your babies go fight for this man? How will you feel when your babies die for lies? You better think about it

June 12, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  5. Jimenez

Polls don't mean much. Wake up. Wait till november.

June 12, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  6. H

POLLS DON'T MEAN A THING ESPECIALLY COMING FROM THE BIAS MEDIA. YOU WERE SO BIAS AGAINST HILLARY THAT YOU WERE SO DETERMINED TO DESTROY HER AND HELP OBAMA. NOW YOU HAVE OBAMA AND WILL PROBABLY DO THE SAME TO MCCAIN. WHY NOT DO YUR JOB AND PRINT THE TRUTH NOT HATE AND LIES.

AMEN

June 12, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  7. federico

Julio, I am with you man!
    I was going to blog just about what you did today......isn´t great to feel relieved that now we´ll be voting for the Man and not the flip floper and warmonger.....

sorry to say he keeps sounding more and more like a nagging wife or mother: why didn´t you take the garbage out?, eat your carrots, I have a headeache.........why don´t you do a town hall meeting?, why don´t you go to iraq ? why don´t you, why don´t you is getting very tiresome or better yet mc c SHUT UP!

DEMOCRATS and LATINOS RISE UP and WISE UP we need you more than ever for the WHITE HOUSE, FOR CONGRESS, FOR GOVERNOR, FOR MAYOR, FOR COUNCIL(MAN, WOMAN).

FOR OUR CHILDREN`S FUTURE!

June 12, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  8. mike

I hope obama adds owl gore the snake oil salesman. That will bring out the independents to McCain.

June 12, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  9. Mike from Westchester

Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky wrote:
    June 12th, 2008 9:28 am ET

"Obama didn't lead McCain, crazy youngsters play computer but elder people don't, that's why polls may show Obama's lead. Wait and see in November, votes will be totally different with polls. I will vote McCain and most of Hillary supporters will vote McCain too."
    ________________________________________________

Hate to inform you, but these polls are conducted over the phone. Since many 20-somethings don't have land lines and cell phones are basically off-limits to the pollsters, the younger crowd would tend to be underrepresented. I suspect that the pollsters at least attempt to compensate for that fact.

You should probably listen to Balthus (10:13 am above). He's got the real facts. Vote your true interests, not based upon the smears, myths, and outright lies that lead to the mess we're in right now!

Start practicing now Kyu: MR. PRESIDENT Barack Obama.

June 12, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  10. abraham aman

pls poeple lisen this must be all ab change ..maccain doit desreve to be the next american president......vote for obama..

June 12, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  11. Seth

LOL... I love the Repubs on here. They crack me up. Every day that we watch McCain be confused up on stage is another day the polls will tick higher for Obama.

Keep spreading your propaganda... Some of the things are so outlandish I don't know where you come up with them.

Us Dems should start playing "dirty" like you all.

Hey, did you know that McCain is actually a North Vietnamese sleeper-cell from when he was brainwashed in captivity! Now, the North Vietnamese are helping the North Koreans by giving them control over him! It's true!

June 12, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  12. Kendra

I am completely flabbergasted at the people who claim to be lifelong democrats/diehard Clinton supporters who are choosing to vote for a candidate (McCain) who's views on policies and stances on the issues are complete polar opposites of the person they so soundly defend. A person's vote shouldn't be based on emotion or resentment that your choice lost (fair and square) but on the issues. I just don't understand how someone would voluntarily choose to vote against their own interests out of spite.

June 12, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  13. jim, kansas city

These polls are like meterologist in the town where I work. They had tornado hit the south end of the town, meterologist or weather man in TV was saying "I do not know why these tornado sirens are going off, I dont have anything on my computer."
    Didnt these polls predict Karry and Algore to win. You can go as far back as Carter against Regan he was leading too, until people started voting.
    I am going to open a website to do polls from my office, and I want CNN to use me as a source as well, why not.

June 12, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  14. Cyrus - NY

Don't depend on the poll numbers. Things might change drastically between now and November. Obama has got to do a lot to measure up to McCain's records.

June 12, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  15. Rosa, b'ham al

Good, 4 years of McCain will be scarier than the past 8 we've just been through. You think the Iraq war has drained us, wait until we try to Invade Iran, That will make Iraq look like a walk in the park.

June 12, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  16. David in Chicago

I read an analysis on polls and I'd cite my source but that will be blocked by CNN moderators. Actually, all in all... polls are generally accurate and methods being used in the past decade have better improved the accuracy of the results. Usually, when the poll is WAY different than the results.. it's because the poll was taken BEFORE some major event. Like, if this week we said John McCain is 5 points behind and Obama does something real bad.. than suddenly McCain is up by 10 points. The polls are definitely a MOMENT in time.

June 12, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. D.J.

I know more than a few Republicans who are planning to vote for Bob Barr. This can't be good for ole McCain't. LOL

June 12, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. aki

OBAMA '08 ......................16 YES ,WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 12, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  19. Cheryl

Go Barack.....I am behind you 100%. You are the one to make the future better for my grandsons.

June 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  20. Republican pretending to be a Clinton supporter

If not Hillary then McCain!

NoBama.

If Hillary isn't chosen for VP then I will vote McCain. He has experience!

I am a Republican pretending to be a Clinton supporter! I am an AGENT of OPERATION CHAOS.

June 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  21. What if?

TO......andrew June 12th, 2008 10:05 am ET
    Obama will more than likely be the next president. It's the way politics run in this country. However in 4 – 8 years Obama will be next to hated and the following political candidate will come in promising all this change and promise to fix everything! Have you all forgotten politics for the last 200 years? Sheep. Your all sheep. If I have to choose it wont be someone who has less than 3 years of real political experience. Wake up and realize just because someone can talk a good game can and have they walked in the past? You will all discount this as rhetoric. Your loss, no wait, America's loss.
    ================================================
    Reading your comment sheep. Your comment state 3 yrs. of real political experience...Wake up and realize we already voted for Bush, I guess he had the experience you as a sheep voted for. Yep, McSham talks a good game......he's about the same Rhetoric, we've had in the past. You say your loss, no wait, America's loss.......Yes, with Bush as president you are right.........we have loss, America has loss.

OBAMA 08

June 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  22. Ted

I wanted a women to be president, now will be for the youngster, Mr. Obama, have not voted in the past 2 elections, I am 75, was in 2 wars, had to re-register, my young wife will be getting her citizenship next month, and she keeps saying "I'm voting for Obama, she talks to everyone she see's, "OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT" and I say, "Let's get our troops home from a war that was not (war)ranted, we got snookered into this war and Mc Insane wants more of this, didn't he learn anything in the VietNam war, or did his stay at the "Hilton" mess up his mind. NO MORE WARS Mc Insane"

June 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  23. RJ

i think the only good news is that the people who post on here are not representative of the nation. i can't understand a lot of the posters. if the women are truly clinton supporters and are bitter because she lost - and not republicans in disguise as some say– then they really are doing a disservice to young girls. they're telling them it's okay to whine and do spiteful things even if you lose fairly. it's okay to be a sore loser. just exactly what we need to be teaching the youth. get over it and look at the issues and if you feel you could live with McCain's policies then vote for him for that reason–not because you're trying to make some insane moronic point.

June 12, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  24. twb

Everyone saying that CNN is for Obama because he is leading in the poll is stupid. They didn't give the poll; It is a poll of poll from ALL Recent Polls.

Also, they were not internet polls, so it is not the crazy young people with their computers. They were telephone surveys. If anything, young people are less likely to answer the phone, or have land lines.

Obama is in the lead; more people want him than McCain. Deal with it. There is no conspiracy, people are sick of what is going on in the country and want something new, just not in Kentucky.

June 12, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  25. Gadissa

Not yet Obama has to lead MacCain by double digits.

June 12, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |