June 13th, 2008

Fmr. senator finds son's decision not to endorse Obama ‘puzzling'

Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.
Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.

(CNN) – This year’s presidential campaign has been one pitting family members against one another.

Now, former Oklahoma Sen. David Boren is on opposite sides of his son, Oklahoma Rep. Dan Boren, who announced earlier this week that he will not endorse Barack Obama for president. The younger Boren's reasoning is that his district is very conservative and he doesn’t agree with many of the Democratic nominee's positions.

Listen to Sen. Boren's comments to Roland Martin

The elder Boren, now president of the University of Oklahoma and a staunch supporter of Obama, said Friday on my radio program "The Roland S. Martin Show on WVON-AM in Chicago" that he’s “puzzled by his son’s announcement.

"We’ve grown up in a family where we were taught to think for ourselves, but I have to say I’m puzzled about how much thinking he put into that before he said it," Boren said. "I think he’ll probably be saying some other things."

“He did say he was going to vote for Barack Obama. He just made the puzzling statement he wasn’t gong to endorse him. Well, when you say publicly you’re voting for somebody I think that means you’re supporting them.”

The father later added: “We all learn from things and my hope is will be a learning experience for him because, as I say, this isn’t a matter of politics, this is a matter of the future of our country.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Honestly

Must be so sad to learn your own son is spineless...

June 13, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. Anita from Arizona

It's ok, Sir. My kids don't listen to me either. You just have to let them learn the hard way. =)

June 13, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  3. Loretta from California

I too find this very puzziling as well as disappointing. But some people do whatever they must if they believe their positions in life are threatened.

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!!

June 13, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. Yale

I sent Mr. Boren an email a couple of days ago. As a former elected offical with both party affiliations over my career one thing was clear. Elected officials are suppose to be leaders. If Mr. Boren is going to simply represent the popular thoughts of his constituants, he might as well resign and set up a less expensive american idol call in system and let his constituants vote on everything instead of him.

By the way – I did not get a return email.

June 13, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. New Day

Well, some people are so busy trying to keep their job that they forget to do their job.

June 13, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. R. Seabron

Way to go Pops. Talk some sense into that fool. If you are a democratic official you only have one option. This was a selfish "look at me" move by the senator.

June 13, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  7. Susan

Let him go. He must not be a Democrat at heart anyway.

June 13, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  8. Enlightened Voter

That's okay, he'll come around.

June 13, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  9. NickNas

Son is selling out. What is so hard to see about that? As a Father we don't want to see bad in our kids but this kid is young enough to sell out his party and go Far in the GOP so now is a great time to make his move.

June 13, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  10. Sharon Minnesota

The bible says this will happen in the last days. Mother and Daughter disagree in my family. Too bad for her but Mother is always right. Besides, I have other daughters who agree with me. Still love her even when she is wrong. John McCain is my pick!

June 13, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  11. vw

Respect Rep. Boren because he is a real man in this world.

Probably he disliked this party to be hijacked by B community, probably he hated to see this party is no longer democratic because Hillary was forced to drop out by Pelosi, Kennedy, Dean, Reid, Jim...

Rep. Boren behaved like himself and showed his love for this party, especially for this coountry...

June 13, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  12. Republican for Life!

The son is right, he can't support no black man in good conscience. Too bad he's a dem though, we'd love him on our side but not those hillbilly supporters, they make us wanna puke. We don't need their vote, we'll win just fine without them!

June 13, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  13. DJ, LA, CA

You tell him Dad! Knock some sense into your boy's head.

June 13, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  14. J. S.

I think most Oklahomans respect Sen. Dan Boren's decision...regardless of what daddy has to say. There is no racism involved–most people just think Obama is way too far to the left.

June 13, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  15. Truth

Looks like his father isn't corrupt. Too bad it's his son that's in office.

June 13, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  16. STILL FOR HILL

Easy enough for me to understand..... He wants to get re-elected, right???

Moderate dems need to start letting the Super Delegates know that their spot in politics is in danger... starting the day they endorsed Obama.

Let's hope that NM is targeting Bill Richardson..

June 13, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  17. patrick

He should not have to endorse anyone he doesn't want to. What's puzzling is his father's puzzlement.

June 13, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  18. Jackie

What happened to the Obama supporters. They didn't like the article so they have no comment. If not Hillary it's McCain and the same.

June 13, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  19. rose, texas

@ least there r some out there that r beginning 2 open their eyes now. hope he doesn't change his mind.

June 13, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. Agnostic Democrat

Typical politician – refusing to take a stand. Says one thing, then does another. Enough of the old politics and in with the new!

June 13, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. lil

He is scared he will loose in Nov so dont Be too hard on him.

June 13, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  22. FEDUP

Sounds like the son is smarter then the father.

June 13, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  23. Mr. T.

Spending political capital uneccessarily is a rookie move.
    I pitty the fool after november!

June 13, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  24. Jack

As a Clinton Democrat, this doesn't surprise me.

Obama will lose many moderate Democrats this year, and may not be able to beat McCain with just African-Americans and young voters

June 13, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  25. Sarah So NJ

your son looks like he might get caught in an airport restroom in Minnesota..

he needs attention

thus the kooky declaration .. poor judgement

won't amount to much