June 13th, 2008

Fmr. senator finds son's decision not to endorse Obama ‘puzzling'

Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.
Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.

(CNN) – This year’s presidential campaign has been one pitting family members against one another.

Now, former Oklahoma Sen. David Boren is on opposite sides of his son, Oklahoma Rep. Dan Boren, who announced earlier this week that he will not endorse Barack Obama for president. The younger Boren's reasoning is that his district is very conservative and he doesn’t agree with many of the Democratic nominee's positions.

Listen to Sen. Boren's comments to Roland Martin

The elder Boren, now president of the University of Oklahoma and a staunch supporter of Obama, said Friday on my radio program "The Roland S. Martin Show on WVON-AM in Chicago" that he’s “puzzled by his son’s announcement.

"We’ve grown up in a family where we were taught to think for ourselves, but I have to say I’m puzzled about how much thinking he put into that before he said it," Boren said. "I think he’ll probably be saying some other things."

“He did say he was going to vote for Barack Obama. He just made the puzzling statement he wasn’t gong to endorse him. Well, when you say publicly you’re voting for somebody I think that means you’re supporting them.”

The father later added: “We all learn from things and my hope is will be a learning experience for him because, as I say, this isn’t a matter of politics, this is a matter of the future of our country.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Victor in Saanich, B.C. Canada

The stupidity of the son should never be laid at the feet of the father. Oft times the son has a mental defect or racist belief that shows up due to ill health, poor education models or the racist element which one surrounds one self with!! Hope any children are not so affected.
    America needs a new direction NOT four more years of MCBUSH!!

June 13, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  2. Bill, Covington

I would expct to learn in the near future that the elder Boren has disowned his natural born son and replaced him with his beloved negro-caucasian. It's what people like him do.
    There was a time when I had great respect for the University of Oklahoma, since they made Boren preaident I spend a lot of time and energy telling my great grandson why he should choose some other instution for hus education, OU is now just another citadel of liberalism. I would not put it past Boren to offer a job to baraks friend, Bill Ayers the terrorist.

June 13, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  3. RYAN kr Jr

There is nothing conservative about Bush and McCain. Rep Boren is a nut and surely he is going to loss his re-election.There is nothing conservative about Bush and McCain.

June 13, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  4. Scott of Sydney

Calidude you need to understand that using the bible to reinforce your predjudice is the same as the racism using bible to justify slavery.
    I think that Mr Boren is toning things down as some of the smear tactics out there are getting amazingly out of hand.
    I know you guys believe in free speech but seriously this smear stuff demeans your country. One of the things that hopefully will change with a Democrat White House and Legislature. Republican Nightmare. Hence the smear factor and people pretending to be what they are not/ As well as comments made as rumours of things that are not even true.
    Vote on the policies. Also again for those republicans pretending to be Hillary supporters every time you say Obama not got experience you reveal your true colours.
    Mr Boren will come to understand that his son is acting in a different political environment than that of his day.
    It is post Karl Rove

June 13, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  5. Thruth

Correction
    When you are more concerned about your position then to fight for what you believe in , it's sure that you don't deserve the seat

June 13, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  6. JFK

Why does everyone have to endorse Obama. Nearly half of Democrats did not support him. And for many good reasons. Its okay to not endorse or even like Obama. It does not make you a racist or heathen. What more, it is the legions of people voting for what many call a novelty that has me more worried. I will take the more experienced candidate, not Obama. Write in Hillary on your November Ballot!

June 13, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. Donna McEvoy

As for me, I agree with everything Obama believes in. Just think, I'll vote for the first black President in the U.S., and a brilliant man at that, one that is circumspect in making wise, well thought out decisions, one that does not rattle off at the mouth as some of our current polititcians who in most instances are known for making senseless, unadvised comments.

June 13, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  8. Jim in FL

Looks like the kid learned form the mistakes of the father. He see's through Obama easily.

June 13, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  9. The American Voter

So- Voice of Reason, suggesting that Oklahomans are not educated and using terms such as "redneck" is your idea of an intelligent discussion? Stupid is as stupid does, and you made your point by example.

June 13, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  10. V

"I'm voting for him, but err that doesn't mean I'm endorsing, but I like him, but err the people don't, but that doesn't mean I'm not a Demcorat, but I'm still going to follow the Republicans that tell me not to, but er..."

Pick a side!

June 13, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  11. Dick Blocker

People who say that Barack Obama doesn't have any experience are minimizing the truth, and quaintly forgetting the freshness of John F. Kennedy and Bobby Kennedy, who were in the same position and whom the world so adored and were ready to exalt.

I think it is safe to say that too many people are just not ready for a black president and the real problem is that they're just too dishonest to admit it, and the will unfortunately fabricate straw men for themselves to fixate and obsess on regarding the "why I won't vote for him" nonsense.

Shame.

June 13, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  12. Lara

I don't understand why these people think he was selected. He ran a good campaign and he won it by doing all the right things. Most of his ideas and Hillary's on how to run this country were close. She even said so herself. There were just a few things that were different. Hillary wasn't anti gay so don't even use that excuse. If you don't want to vote for him don't use the excuses I see above because it is quite clear why you don't want to vote for him and it has nothing to do with his policies.

June 13, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  13. JFK

Cali Dude, your religion should not have anything to do with your candidate you vote for! That is ridiculous, either just say you hate gays or your a closet case. God does not really care who you love, thats just your religion interpreting things the way it wants to. And I am not voting for Obama either. See, we have something in common, but I am gay...

June 13, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  14. No Time for Ignorance

That includes you, Taa Taa and the rest of the democrats

June 13, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  15. respect

Obama is a loser

June 13, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  16. J. McCaskill

I don't blame him. Hillary Clinton had over 18 million people vote for her nd yet she still does not win the nomintion. I urge all Clinton supporters to vote John McCain in November and Hillary Clinton in 2012. It not about party or polices so much as it is about who is best to lead this country. President Bush, like him or not, is a great President. He stick to his covictions and principles, whether they be right, wrong, popular, or unpopular. He does what he think is right and that is what makes a great leader.

June 13, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  17. Tom, Boston MA

boren jr. is like shrub jr.

not qualified for the position of power they hold,

except that they were born with a silver foot in their mouth.

June 13, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  18. Zeppelin79

I supported Hillary for far longer then I should have. Her behaivior towards the end of this primary season was atrocious. I heard she was trying to use any legal manuevering she could think up to steal this nomination.

I was afraid that Obama was to inexperienced, to green, that he was all fluff and cotton candy as you say. But I've heard he's getting the cream of the crop economists and his ideas about how to get out of Iraq seem about right from what I've read in New Republic magazine.

One thing I've found out about presidents is doesn't so much matter who they are but who they surround themselves with. FDR was like that. Many of them are "great pretenders," including the best. I think he could do a good job and it's about time to make history.

Actually, that was one of the reasons I supported Hillary for so long.

Anyway, about the "bitter" comments, I think you guys are taking him out of context.

And as one of the 18 million million people that voted for Hillary Rodham Clinton I could care less about the "bitter" comments.

And about gay's not following "god's law" and going to hell for being who they are. I could never worship or believe in a god that would say or do such a thing.

June 13, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  19. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

So He Is Voting For Obama But Not Going To Endorse Him? Thats Like Having Toilet Paper And Choosing Not To Wipe!

June 13, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  20. Concerned Citizen of America

Everyone has one vote. Let's just see how this all plays out. All this sour grapes over Obama winning fair and square is silly. He was beat up in the press just as bad if not worse than Hillary..It's part of the process of running for office and all candidates are aware of this. If you are a Dem and don't want to vote Obama, fine. Hillary would be disappointed but she will get over it. Just spend your time working for Sen McCain and donate money to him rather than crying on a blog about it. I do suspect that many supposed Hillary supporters crying on this blog are the hold overs to Rush's operation chaos.. As they say, ignorance is bliss.

June 13, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  21. Lu

He's no fool. I decided to become a PUMA (blog.pumapac.org) because I want a decent Democratic Candidate to vote for in the Presidential Election. I cannot vote for Barack Obama because of his behaviors towards American Voters.

Much of the initial momentum of his campaign came from black voters. However, when he needed the white male support to discount the Florida and Michigan votes and get the Superdelagates commitment, he turned his back on his minister of 20 years (who helped put him in office). Instead of using that situation to promote respect for diversity and inclusion, he threw Reverend Wright under the bus. That is not a good leader for this country.

His betrayal of Reverend Wright got him the support he needed to promote sexism to undermine a more qualified candidate. Then he gained final margins with a “party unity” pitch.

Superdelegate Gender Distribution

Obama - Male 327, Female 156
    Clinton - Male 132, Female 125
    Undecided - Male 55, Female 26

He obtained his nomination through deceit, manipulation and the exploitation of bigotry. I believe he is a flaming hypocrite and his clean politics campaign is totally bogus.

Who has been fooled again?

June 13, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  22. mendemoi

The son is smarter than the dad, that's all. He knows that Obama does not deserve to be the presumptive nominee. He knows that Obama has too many problems that the Republicans are going to take advantage of to eliminate him in November. He knows that Obama's presumptive nomination was forced and crookedly acquired. He knows that Obama cannot win against McCain. He knows that Obama was forced down the throats of Democrats by the big wigs like Kennedy, Kerry, Reid, Pelosi, Deen etc. He knows that Obama was illegally given 5 delegates that should have belonged to Hillary. He knows that Obama was given delegates when he was not even a contestant in Michigan...THE SON IS THE TRUE DEMOCRAT, NOT AN AUTOCRAT

June 13, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  23. Spider

"Well, Dad, I plan on voting for the man, because I'm a good Democrat, even though I don't like him as my candidate. Tell Mom I love her."

There are many of the 18 million Clinton supporters who feel exactly this way. They will vote for him but they really don't like their candidate.

June 13, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  24. Kirsten

Wow, since when has it become "puzzling to do the job that you were elected for. He was elected by the will of the people in the district and he is heeding to the wishes of the people. It has little to do with political motivation but rather doing his job description.

Politicians are not elected to advance their own personal beliefs, but the beliefs that their constituents express. If they want to advance their own, personal opinions they should become a wealthy businessman.

The Democrats are finally seeing who they really elected in 2006. Yes, they elected many new Democrats that unseated powerful GOPers, but they only succeeded because the Democrat that was elected was so conservative it was hard for the Goper to be seen as different(hence Rick Santorum and Bob Casey(both are prolife and agree on other issues, yet one is a Democrat and one is Republican)). The socalled victory in 2006, really only served to place right-leaning Democrats.

June 13, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  25. Fackay-Cali

Indiana Bob,
    The Democratic party is for people who realy believes in democracy and not pests like you BOB.

June 13, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |