June 13th, 2008

Fmr. senator finds son's decision not to endorse Obama ‘puzzling'

Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.
Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.

(CNN) – This year’s presidential campaign has been one pitting family members against one another.

Now, former Oklahoma Sen. David Boren is on opposite sides of his son, Oklahoma Rep. Dan Boren, who announced earlier this week that he will not endorse Barack Obama for president. The younger Boren's reasoning is that his district is very conservative and he doesn’t agree with many of the Democratic nominee's positions.

Listen to Sen. Boren's comments to Roland Martin

The elder Boren, now president of the University of Oklahoma and a staunch supporter of Obama, said Friday on my radio program "The Roland S. Martin Show on WVON-AM in Chicago" that he’s “puzzled by his son’s announcement.

"We’ve grown up in a family where we were taught to think for ourselves, but I have to say I’m puzzled about how much thinking he put into that before he said it," Boren said. "I think he’ll probably be saying some other things."

“He did say he was going to vote for Barack Obama. He just made the puzzling statement he wasn’t gong to endorse him. Well, when you say publicly you’re voting for somebody I think that means you’re supporting them.”

The father later added: “We all learn from things and my hope is will be a learning experience for him because, as I say, this isn’t a matter of politics, this is a matter of the future of our country.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Sheri

Not puzzling, just racist

June 13, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  2. Sally

what's puzzling is the fact that this basket case calls himself a Democrat. what a load of you-know-what.

June 13, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  3. Jenna

Sounds like an honest man to me, he must have some legitimate reservations about his lack of experience and judgement.

Jenna in California

June 13, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  4. Frank in NYC

i mean ccomon look at this guy.....Inexperience is one thing but most people are not going to vote for Barack just because hes black and that frustrates me....most of this guys constituents and probably he himself is racist and that is why he making this announcement...You know living in the melting pot that is new york city my whole life has made me like and dislike certain people for certain reasons and if anybody should be racist its me but you know what I am truly concerned about the direction of this country and if its a black guy or half black guy or a greeen guy or a purple guy or a silver guy that is going to help then so be it that person has my vote. I am a Barack Obama supporter however I do not believe that he is the savior or the second coming of Jesus like some of the die hards but I do truly believe that he is the best choice out of all the candidates this year and is an overwhelmingly better choice than John McCain. We cannot do it to ourselves again and vote these types of Republicans into office. I have always said that I would rather take the gamble with a "less experienced" (considering your definition of experience) candidate that may be great than a sure loss (McCain) and I promise McCain is the sure loss.

America 08!!!

June 13, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  5. Nia - female from AZ

Not really when you consider all the rest of Hillary's henchmen are speaking and doing for her. I find it sad. Granted she isn't telling them to continue her divde the party plan. She and what's left of her advisors also are not telling her henchmen not to. Which speaks volumes when you consider she only suspended her campiagn and is holding all of her delegates.

June 13, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  6. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

THIS IS HIS CHOICE,IT IS A FREE WORLD TO EACH HIS ON
    BARACK WILL MAKE IT ANYWAY

June 13, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  7. jackson from Iowa

Fathers knows best.

June 13, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  8. Marlie:

CNN – who really cares. Such drivel.

June 13, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  9. Indiana Bob

We won't support Obama either. My wife and I have voted Democratic and contributed to the DNC since 1972. We just got a call from the DNC last night asking for our donation. We were told that we are not true Democratics for not supporting the candidate that Dean, Pelosi, Kennedy, the media, and the DNC rammed down our throats. If an inexperienced empty suit is the best the Democratic Party has to offer, then I guess we are not true Democratics. We will be voting for McCain in November and our contribution to the RNC has already been made. This is no longer the Democratic Party that we have supported so long. The Democratic Party left us, we didn't leave it. And that sickens me.

June 13, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  10. Susan

Simple: you son does not have backbone. He chooses to pander like McCain, instead of being a true Democrat!

June 13, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  11. Dave, Athens GA

Boren! I feel your pain man. Its really stupid to say that you will vote for someone but you will not endorse them. I wonder what your son thinks too. He got no bone left to say no to Obama instead of playing both sides? I think you definitely brought him up well so don't ever blame yourself at all. He might be a sleep and he will make a better statement when he wakes up.

June 13, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  12. Vivienne

Puzzling is right. I have been listening to the pundits discuss Baracks policies and it has me puzzled on how they call him a liberal but never mention the fact the HRC's policies are practically identical to Baracks. Does anyone else find that puzzling? These democratice losers can support HRC and her policies but, when it comes to Barack they say that guys policies are liberal and I am a conservative democrat. Hmmm. Do us all a favor and switch parties. Run in your little community as a "conservative" then you won't have to pretend that its Baracks poiicies that you don't like. How do you vote for a guy who has policies that are odds with yours? Puzzling. That would mean that Boren is a complete dumb A. He is going to vote for the guy he can't bring himself to openly endorse. Geeesh! Yeah, it is time for someone to kick his dumb A out of the party. They problem is that we have too many of these losers running around parading as democrats. The belong in the other guys party.

June 13, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Joe, Northern Virginia

No Brainer!!

June 13, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  14. Jan

Dad he is a big boy but remind him that people always change their mindin due time, but he is setting a bad example for his district.

June 13, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  15. Ez

Some body should ask Rep.,not indorsing but voting for Obama
    what is that mean?This is the most stupid washington double talk I ever heard .

June 13, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  16. DiamondStarHalo, TN

Why does anyone, regardless of employment, color, creed, gender, or sweater size, have to "endorse" anyone? Voting does just that, tacitly and privately. The Obamabots just can't tolerate it when someone, especially someone under the age of 40, doesn't drink their Kool-Aid and start shouting in the streets. It's called politics; the elder Boren should know that, and not put his son on the spot.

June 13, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  17. David Newport, OR

It's called politics. Putting your self-serving interests in front of others. Surely an ex-politician would understand this.

June 13, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  18. Amy

The son is smarter than his father..

June 13, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  19. After further review,Texas.

He looks like a smacked.....

June 13, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. steve

Dave Boren,

The party activist will surely remember you.

June 13, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  21. Dayahka

The son appears to be a bit confused. Probably forgot his Prozac.

June 13, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  22. Jaun

I understand...it not easy to accept your peer's achievement...young(about the same age), loaded with charasma,with the nation's highest,most coveted office within your grasp...NOT EASY FOR SOME OF US TO ACCEPTAMERICA FOR OBAMA.
    OBAMA 08.

June 13, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. KMAN

It should be obvious to everyone ... little Danny wanted to get some national attention and he did that.

Now remind me ... who he is?

June 13, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  24. sensico

seems like he trying to play on both sides of the fence

June 13, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  25. Jim

Good first step. Don't vote for this guy either!

June 13, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |