June 13th, 2008

Fmr. senator finds son's decision not to endorse Obama ‘puzzling'

Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.
Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.

(CNN) – This year’s presidential campaign has been one pitting family members against one another.

Now, former Oklahoma Sen. David Boren is on opposite sides of his son, Oklahoma Rep. Dan Boren, who announced earlier this week that he will not endorse Barack Obama for president. The younger Boren's reasoning is that his district is very conservative and he doesn’t agree with many of the Democratic nominee's positions.

Listen to Sen. Boren's comments to Roland Martin

The elder Boren, now president of the University of Oklahoma and a staunch supporter of Obama, said Friday on my radio program "The Roland S. Martin Show on WVON-AM in Chicago" that he’s “puzzled by his son’s announcement.

"We’ve grown up in a family where we were taught to think for ourselves, but I have to say I’m puzzled about how much thinking he put into that before he said it," Boren said. "I think he’ll probably be saying some other things."

“He did say he was going to vote for Barack Obama. He just made the puzzling statement he wasn’t gong to endorse him. Well, when you say publicly you’re voting for somebody I think that means you’re supporting them.”

The father later added: “We all learn from things and my hope is will be a learning experience for him because, as I say, this isn’t a matter of politics, this is a matter of the future of our country.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Marc PDX

Beautiful picture of hypocrisy...

Dave sez: "Boren! I feel your pain man. Its really stupid to say that you will vote for someone but you will not endorse them."

Marc sez: how perfectly hypocritical to say you brought your son up to think for himself and as soon as he disagrees with you, you patronize him and act as if his choice is defective... "my hope is it will be a learning experience for him...". If my father had been like that I would have probably grown up never disagreeing with him – hardly a case of encouraging your son to think for himself (and presumably supporting his decisions).

All I can say is I just read one hypocrital thing after another from Dems and apparently they don't even understand when they're being hypocrital.

June 13, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. Mark, Chicago, IL

It doesn't sound unusual to me. A person's responsibility to his constituency and the person's personal voting choice are two different items. He doesn't have to endorse or make public anything he doesn't want to.

I'm a Democrat and I'm not endorsing Obama. I'm not going to try and advocate for Obama with my friends or colleagues – I will very likely vote for him but I haven't decided yet. I still believe Hillary Clinton is the best person for the job and until Mc Cain or Obama DEMONSTRATE to me that they are capable of the difficult job ahead after the mess an "inexperienced" Bush made... then I may very well stay home in November.

Obama doesn't automatically get all the Democratic votes...he has to earn them...and so far he hasn't said anything to me that makes me want to vote for him.

June 13, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  3. ultranol

This guy is so BOREN!

June 13, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  4. Texas Trail Dog

Rep. Dan Boren is a very wise and intelligent man. I AM WHITE AN A HILLARY SUPPORTER AND A 51-YEAR VETERAN OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY.
    Also a 28-year Veteran of the U.S. Army.

THE ONLY WAY I WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA IS IF HILLARY OR GENERAL COLIN POWELL IS ON THE TICKET AS VP.

Someone has to be there who has gumption. It certainly is not Obama.

HOWEVER, I KNOW THIS WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE HILLARY OR GEN. POWELL WILL NOT ACCEPT FOR THEY DO NOT WISH THEIR NAME LINKED WITH SUCH A FAILURE AND LYING BIGOT

June 13, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Hey Indiana Bob,
    A. I don't beleive anyone from the DNC told you were not a Democrat based on your decision.
    B. Maybe leaving people like you may make this party and country a better place for us. Maybe the democratic party you belonged to did not feel right to the rest of us. Maybe you always belonged with the RNC.
    C. We can guess your character win you slam Kennedy during this time. I believe we would all agree he's off limits.

June 13, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  6. TEXAN

Senator David Boren, give your son a "Wop on the head". Knock some sense into him ! No, really, leave the kid alone. Let him make his own mistakes...he will learn. He may realize what it is really all about (WHAT IS BEST FOR OUR COUNTRY) and change his mind. Feel proud...at least you tried.

June 13, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  7. Eric

To The Mid West Sends a Message –
    The *thinkers* in the midwest support Obama. Do you think for a moment that your analysis hadn't occured to Boren Sr. ? Of course it has – then dismissed for lack of merit. After his analysis he has come away as a staunch Obama supporter.

Something to muse over carefully.

June 13, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |

=========
    MCCAIN 08!
    HILLARY 12!

June 13, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  10. Truth

Indiana Bob,
    Your stupidity is tantamount to cursing the sky because you stubbed your toe. It isn't anyone's fault for Hillary losing except her own, and if you vote for McCain over Obama, may your name be forever remembered as is Ephialtes of Trachis.

Don't know who that is? Oh... big surprise... you were a Hillary supporter. See the correlation?

June 13, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  11. scooter

We have the Democratic candidate we all deserve. We are a nation with a 15 second attention span and an addiction to the newest, flashiest thing, Obama is all style and no substance. He has not done one significant thing in his life except run for President. I will not vote for McCain and I cannot in good conscience vote for Obama unless something happens soon to convince me otherwise.

June 13, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Indiana Bob get a life and grow up.

June 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  13. RK

Who Cares? The good thing is that R. Kelly is acquitted!!!!

June 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  14. Mike, Atlanta

Indiana Bob get a life and grow up

June 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  15. Alice

Sounds like he is just avoiding taking a stand for political reasons. He's afraid his conservative district won't vote for him next term.

June 13, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  16. California Voter

Not endorsing Obama is puzeling? Not really. There are many of us who supported Hillary that do not support or will not support Obama. Although I believe Obama is an excellent speaker and smart, I do not think he is experienced enough to be President nor does he represent my values. He and his wife sat for 20 years at a black liberation church where the pastor preached hatred and racism. Even Oprah had to leave because of the Rev. Wright's sermons. I'm concerned about having a person as President who lacks the judgment, honesty and core values that are needed in someone leading leading this country. I don't even want to think about seeing Michelle and her angry about America face nor do I support someone who supported a church that has a "non-negotiable commitment to Africa" This is the US, not Africa.

June 13, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  17. Carmen in Fresno

Let's see.....Does Dan Boren want to be reelected? Do his constituents believe they have the divine right to determine how their neighbors make love and plan their families? Do they believe that global warming is a myth and what is good for big business is good for America? Do they believe that dark skinned people are put on earth to serve them? Do they – and Dan Boren – believe that the question really is: "Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you?"

June 13, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  18. JPM

He's trying to save himself.

If you respect the constitution, you can't vote McCain. McCain believes its okay to walk all over the constitution.

June 13, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  19. Ken from Michigan

puzzled little man!, no backbone to stand up, if you're not going to endorse him, then why in the sam heck would you vote for him. Typical politician, unable to take a firm stand on something as important as this year's election.

Glad you're not in my district, at least my Senators and Reps have the guts to say what they feel, even if I disagree with them, I give them respect for it.

June 13, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  20. Enough

Something wrong in this forum.

Must be lot of McShame supporters acting as 'former supporters of Sen Clinton'

Better take things with a grain of salt!

Democrats UNITE!

We they got the country to the brim of disaster. Lot of things to be done to bring it back to a respectful place again!

Be serious my country men, it is our country....we cant anymore afford to let some psycos rule her again.

Wake up democrats, your infighting is not going to help. ENOUGH!

Let us take charge! We have to....and we must for the sake of our children and this country's future!

ENOUGH!

June 13, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  21. peakarach,des moines,IA

I THINK ALL 18 MILLION OF US STRONG MUST UNITE AND JOIN MCCAIN CAMPAIGN NOW. WE MUST HELP MCCAIN TO DEFEAT BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA,DNC,SUPERDELEGATE AND THE WHOLE LEFT WING MEDIA IN THE FALL AND KEEP HUSSEIN OBAMA AND HIS THUG OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE FOR GOOD.
    ==================================================

MCCAIN 08!
    HILLARY 12!

June 13, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  22. John Smith

This mentality goes to show the "educational and emotional" levels of the Hillary voters. I would like to respect "all" fellow DEMS, but this level of responsibility leaves me in total shock!

June 13, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  23. Tracy

I really don't care where she is.. I think she is somewhere trying to dig up dirt on Senator Obama and his wife. I just don't trust her. Not one bit. I want to trust her so bad. I want to believer her, but she has lied so much and has been so negative. I hope she just goes back to her Senate job and try again maybe in 2016.... She'll be hard to look at at that age, but if we can stand to look at Mccain, we can stand to look at her...

June 13, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  24. Enough

Something wrong in this forum.

Must be lot of McShame supporters acting as 'former supporters of Sen Clinton'

Better take things with a grain of salt!

Democrats UNITE!

They got the country to the brim of disaster. Lot of things to be done to bring it back to a respectful place again!

Wake up democrats, your infighting is not going to help. ENOUGH!

ENOUGH!

June 13, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  25. carlo

It's really sad that some of you "Hillary supporters" are now supporting McCain, when he represents NOTHING that Hillary supports. BTW, for those of you who posted celebrations about Russert's death because he gave Hillary a hard time are lower than low, and have no shame. Every life is precious in God's eyes, and should be in ours, even if they offend.

June 13, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |