June 13th, 2008

Fmr. senator finds son's decision not to endorse Obama ‘puzzling'

Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.
Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.

(CNN) – This year’s presidential campaign has been one pitting family members against one another.

Now, former Oklahoma Sen. David Boren is on opposite sides of his son, Oklahoma Rep. Dan Boren, who announced earlier this week that he will not endorse Barack Obama for president. The younger Boren's reasoning is that his district is very conservative and he doesn’t agree with many of the Democratic nominee's positions.

Listen to Sen. Boren's comments to Roland Martin

The elder Boren, now president of the University of Oklahoma and a staunch supporter of Obama, said Friday on my radio program "The Roland S. Martin Show on WVON-AM in Chicago" that he’s “puzzled by his son’s announcement.

"We’ve grown up in a family where we were taught to think for ourselves, but I have to say I’m puzzled about how much thinking he put into that before he said it," Boren said. "I think he’ll probably be saying some other things."

“He did say he was going to vote for Barack Obama. He just made the puzzling statement he wasn’t gong to endorse him. Well, when you say publicly you’re voting for somebody I think that means you’re supporting them.”

The father later added: “We all learn from things and my hope is will be a learning experience for him because, as I say, this isn’t a matter of politics, this is a matter of the future of our country.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. StrictScript

OBAMA all the way. The mudslinging and mindless spinning from McBush's camp is, and will continue to be countered by integrity & potent strategy. The electorate will not be cheated this time around. America is not scared...we are inspired...deal w/ it.

June 13, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  2. Florida Boy

If you are going to vote for someone why would you not endorse them. All i gotta say is this country cannot afford to vote Mccain into office. We need to withdraw from Iraq since we have already spent trillions there and worry about our economy and our own people. Obama 08

June 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  3. Big AL

I need some good drugs. Do anyone have Ciny McSane number.

June 13, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  4. OK resident

Well, I find it "puzzling" that the elder Boren would endorse Obama. He is an empty suit who has zero experience or qualifications to be president. His only life experience is in the elite environment of Ivy League schools and in the dirty politics in Chicago yet he tries to tell us that based on his "post-racial" background and his "judgement" he is the best person to lead the last superpower in the world?? I don't think he is even qualified to be CEO of a major company yet the American people are supposed to elect him Commander- in- Chief? His judgement is some of the worst I have ever seen. He goes to a church for 20 years that has a preacher that spouts racist and anti-American statements and the congregation cheers. He is "friends" with a terrorist who planted bombs in a woman's bathroom and killed innocent people. He buys a house with the help of Rezko, one of the dirtiest of the dirty in Chicago politics. Yet we are supposed to believe he has the right judgement to lead this country? Even though he is inexperience and not qualified? I am a lifelong Democrat who will be voting Republican for the first time this year. McCain is a man of great personal integrity and honor. I will be proud to vote for a man who obviously loves this country and what it stands for.

June 13, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  5. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

daddy will straighten out his misguided son

June 13, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  6. Ron

Florida will not support Obama either!!!

June 13, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  7. Kim, Dallas, TX

Craig of Salisbury, I ditto your every remark....except one correction.....

I am one of the 18 MILLION plus that looks forward to voting for Obama. I don't know why the press never mentions that the popular vote was nearly tied or could have gone either way depending on which measurement was used, and why Obama is viewed as liberal. He is no more liberal than Clinton was and certainly represents the typical Democrat. Those that argue otherwise I find as more biased due to race.

Also, one comment after reading one of these blogs regarding homosexuals. I believe that as a true Christian we are not to judge others. God is the ultimate judge of a person's character. Jesus' was one who showed his love for people of all walks of life, even prostitution. He never judged, always accepted. I don't believe in how every person leads their life, but I have learned through Christianity to not judge and to love my neighbor. Democrats don't create homosexuals, but we understand how to treat them if we were raised as a Christian.

June 13, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  8. LINDA B

From 2 OK Democrats with higher degrees, upper middle income & raging liberals by OK standards:
    Boren's failure to endorse is CORRECT – he is allowed to vote Democratic in the general election. Many of Clinton's supporters, including myself, were angry the rest of the OK delegates decided to support Obama in contradiction with the almost 2-1 vote received by Clinton vs. Obama. I understand the younger Boren's position.
    For the Obama supporters – just because he won the Democratic party nomination does not mean we HAVE to vote for or support him. Neither I nor my husband will support or vote for Obama – reasons are too numerous. Shoving this arrogant, self-serving candidate down our throats will not serve to change our opinion.

June 13, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse, NY

He's following the will of the voters. Isn't that his job?

Sharp, 9/11 happened just 8 months after Bush took office. That didn't happen without years of set-up and planning. Who do you think was asleep at the switch while the whole thing was planned? Your Democratic bud Clinton. It's documented that he missed at least one solid chance to take out Bin Laden. Now Obama actually wants to talk to these murderers.

June 13, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  10. Cindy

An endorsement is a public announcement to support someone. He does not want to publically support someone who his constituency has spoken to not support. However, privately, he will still vote for him. I'll buy that reasoning. He's just respecting the will of his constituency.

June 13, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  11. OBAMA/Richardson

The only people who wont vote for OBAMA are the ones who DON'T LISTEN! OBAMA has spoken more than numerous times on what he wants to do in our economy, war, taxes etc..etc... do you ever listen? HELL NO! Because you are filled with ignorance!

June 13, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  12. Alex B.

A POLITIAN WITH A BACK BONE?? I WANT HIS AUTOGRAPH!

June 13, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  13. martin

CNN!GET RID OF LOU DOBBS ,AND THAT WOMAN WHO FILLS IN FOR HIM!THEY ARE OBAMA BASHERS,AND I DON'T WATCH THEM,ANYMORE.LET JACK CAFFERTY HAVE LOU'S HOUR!

June 13, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  14. Michael in OK

I always liked Senator Boren and have long felt that he was more qualified to be President than anyone else who has run for the past 16 years. Also, he left the Senate by his own choice and is doing a great job at OU. He doesn't need another job.

June 13, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  15. Marc

I hope he knows that he will not be viewed as a democrat.

June 13, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  16. TXBad1

Simple your Son has a Mind and Common sense and knows right from wrong!

No Obama never

June 13, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  17. No McCain

No one barely knows this man. WHY CNN MAKES A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS???... To create more division amoung democrats and so they can report more "Breaking News"?

June 13, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  18. Vito, Chicago

He didn't make a mistake-–he knows Obama has BIG problems-
    Bush has a 70% unnfavorable rating–McCain is 4 more years of Bush-Obama only leads McCain by 4-5 points-–What is it people don't like about Obama???? A Lot.

June 13, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  19. Voice of Reason

Stupid is as stupid does, or perhaps in this case as stupid says. How can you not endorse someone you are openly saying you are voting for. I would imagine the only people who can understand this logic are GED toting oklahoma okie dokie rednecks.

June 13, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  20. Shannon Shiflett

What sickens me, and it's not that our nominee is "inexperienced" (in Washington's culture of corruption, we need somebody who isn't the norm), it's that the Democratic Party didn't impeach Bush/Cheney, didn't put an end to the occupation of Iraq, and so on–those so-called Democrats who refuse to vote for Obama are either sore Clinton supporters, racist, or just really ignorant of what's at stake in this election - only our entire future! You would sacrifice this nation out of spite? How undeveloped.

June 13, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  21. David Minneapolis

No politician knows for sure which way the wind is blowing, maybe Boren the younger listened to the whisperings of the Clintons and their surrogates. Maybe he's afraid that Obama is going to get crushed in the general election, and then, like Obama's vote on the war, he can use his stand alone policy to say that, 'well, I may have voted for the guy, but I didn't endorse him." Unfortunately for Boren the younger, Obama is going to win in a landslide and he's going to have to eat his decision. However, unlike the entitled Clintons, Obama won't have a 'list' of people who didn't support him, Obama will figure out how to work with Boren the younger for change.

June 13, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  22. laurence

GOD MOVES ACCORDING TO OUR FAITH IN HIM.

June 13, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  23. Norma

Cali Dude

You do not speak for the U.S troops or Vets they defend ALL Americans wether your gay, straight, white, black or whatever.

My husband is a U.S soldier whos serving our country for ALL American.

My GOD is a loving god and a forgiven one. I don't know which god your talking about. God did not put you on this earth to judge on how people live their lives.

Live your own life and leave everyones elses alone.

From a proud military wife.

June 13, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  24. Shirley-Ohio

The dude's got serious issues and if I were Oklahoma, I will think before I reelect him. You have to almost wonder if he is on the wrong party side.

I am sorry Mr. Boren Sr. for your son being so disrespectful to you and that you had to address something like this. This is something he could have just kept to himself and did not need to be mentioned in public.

June 13, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  25. John Black

I'M A HILL- RAISER MYSELF.I'VE ALWAYS VOTED STRAIGHT TICKET .I STILL INTEND TO DO THE SAME.NOT CAJSE I'M VOTING FOR HIM 'CAUSE I'M NOT .JUST JUST VOTING TO GET OUR TROOPS OUT OF THAT CHILDISH GUN-SLINGGING ,OIL-DRILLING ,FAMILY-FEUD WITH HUSSEIN THAT THESE DENSE REPUBLICANS HAVE CAUSED. JOHN BLACK

June 13, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |