June 13th, 2008

Fmr. senator finds son's decision not to endorse Obama ‘puzzling'

Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.
Rep. Boren said earlier this week he will not be formally endorsing Obama.

(CNN) – This year’s presidential campaign has been one pitting family members against one another.

Now, former Oklahoma Sen. David Boren is on opposite sides of his son, Oklahoma Rep. Dan Boren, who announced earlier this week that he will not endorse Barack Obama for president. The younger Boren's reasoning is that his district is very conservative and he doesn’t agree with many of the Democratic nominee's positions.

Listen to Sen. Boren's comments to Roland Martin

The elder Boren, now president of the University of Oklahoma and a staunch supporter of Obama, said Friday on my radio program "The Roland S. Martin Show on WVON-AM in Chicago" that he’s “puzzled by his son’s announcement.

"We’ve grown up in a family where we were taught to think for ourselves, but I have to say I’m puzzled about how much thinking he put into that before he said it," Boren said. "I think he’ll probably be saying some other things."

“He did say he was going to vote for Barack Obama. He just made the puzzling statement he wasn’t gong to endorse him. Well, when you say publicly you’re voting for somebody I think that means you’re supporting them.”

The father later added: “We all learn from things and my hope is will be a learning experience for him because, as I say, this isn’t a matter of politics, this is a matter of the future of our country.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Shannon

This is double talk and sounds like he should support McCain, he could board his slime express.

June 13, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  2. Tom in CA

...the son does a disservice to the father!

June 13, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  3. HILLARY WAS FORCED OUT BY SEXISM!!!

THE DNC DOES NOT DESERVE OUR VOTES!

I AM NOW AN INDEPENDENT!

THEY SCREWED US OUT OF OUR VOTES IN FLORIDA JUST LIKE 8 YEARS AGO, THE STATE IS REPUBLICAN RUN !
    I HAD NO SAY SO OVER THE DATE OF THE VOTING HERE!
    ALL I KNOW IS MY BASIC RIGHT WAS TAKEN AWAY!

THE DNC ARE A BUNCH OF WIMPS AND THEY WILL GET SNOOKERED AGAIN BY THE REPUBLICANS!
    I NO LONGER WISH TO BE ANY PART OF IT!

June 13, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  4. JOHN

HEY ANNIE, DID YOU FORGET THAT 18 MILLION PEOPLE ARE SUPPORTING HIM, THE REAL LEADERS IN THE DEM. PARTY ARE SUPPORTING HIM, HIS CHIEF RIVAL SEN. CLINTON IS SUPPORTING HIM, CRAIG IN SALISBURY IS SUPPORTING HIM, AND SO AM I.

June 13, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  5. JJK

Experience has gotten us what?? Bush.. It is not the democratic congress that has us with a bad economy and high gas prices, NO that's what got them elected... Now that America has woken up from the bad dream called the bush administration we are ready for change. Eight years ago I could never have imagine that we could have a Women or an African American president, but thanks to the mess bush has made of the country we are running a race to the white house. Say yes to McCain??? What?? To give a republican another 4 years to make things worst.. I say NO WAY! you had your chance republicans, 8 years to be exact, now step aside and let Obama show you how it's done.. I am proud to say I am an democrat, your son is foolish but I know deep inside he has to be smiling.

June 13, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  6. OBAMA RULES ALL THE WAY TO WHITE HOUSE

OBAMA RULES ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE.I SAID IT BEFORE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN,OBAMA IS THE MAN THAT WILL MAKE THE CHANGE THAT WE ALL NEED.LOVE YOU OBAMA AND I PRAY EVERYDAY FOR PEOPLE TO GET EDUCATED ABOUT OBAMA AND START LOVING HIM LIKE THE PEOPLE THAT KNOW HIM.

June 13, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  7. Midwest Voter

I won't vote for Obama. I don't understand why everyone is so crazy about him. There are too many hidden facts and half truths and media frenzy around him. I'll stay home before I will vote for Obama and I have been a Democrat all my life.

June 13, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  8. Francis Wilson

good for him, not everybody has to be an idiot to endorse Obama . I applaude him for not trying to be a Politically correct. Obama has no experience in anything.

June 13, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  9. HerbTee

So, the good Congressman won't endorse Obama, but publicly announces he's going to VOTE for Obama. Does that make any sense? Perhaps it makes sense only to Okies. In his defense, I suppose Congressman Boren has no choice since his district is likely inhabited by Redman-chewing, Carling Black Label beer swilling, Caterpillar cap-wearing, shotgun-toting, duck hunting, trailer park-dwelling Okie rednecks. Too bad the good Congressman does not have the gonads to do what's right and support his Party's nominee.

Since his constituents are such fine upstanding citizens of the conservative right, perhaps Congressman Boren should simply become a Republican because he only appears to be a Democrat in name only.

June 13, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  10. iluvindianabob

i always get such a kick out of the ignorant comments on here, its shame everyone is allowed to vote.

June 13, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  11. Justice League

That's actually a nice little loophole isn't it. You don't have to endorse someone to vote for them. However, he shouldn't have spilled the beans and told everyone who he was going to vote for. But, is he wants to waive his privacy on this matter, fine. Except his constituents now know who he is voting for. So Brooklyn, to counter your argument, yes it is puzzling. Both points contradict each other, although that is his individual right.

June 13, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  12. Michelle

Because Obama is more hype than hope.

June 13, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  13. jamesNYC

I'm wondering what "rammed down our throats" mean. Go ahead vote for McCaine simply because you feel just a little scorned. Tax cuts for the rich, 4 more years of Bush, and more dead U.S. soldiers is certainly a great trade off because you feel a candidate was rammed down your throat. Get real and stop making the issue about yourself. LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE!

June 13, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  14. Monica for Obama in Indiana

To the older Boren, I am so sorry that your son has expressed public this decision. When we are raising our children, we hope and pray they will grow up and make us proud. Don't be disheartened with him, he just should have kept his mouth closed and cast his vote the way he felt was best.

And to Indiana Bob, the way the Governor is raising taxes here in Indiana, you probably should keep your money. You will need it to pay your property taxes for 2008.

No Hillary and No Bayh for VP Ditch Mitch-2008

June 13, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  15. Loretta from California

Well, I'll try not to be so harsh. He maybe too afraid of loosing his constituents. Afraid he will not be re-elected.

June 13, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  16. Barry

Something else.

To CALI DUDE

Just thought of this. I'm not gonna touch the gay thing just yet though.

If you really want to look at the whole illegal thing then I think you would deport everyone of us.

Cause the only true people who have a right to be here are the American Indians. They were here before anyone else. We are the one's that came here from other shores.

Get your facts straight before you say anything!

June 13, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  17. David

So he's more interested in his future than the country? Or is this another Kerry moment, "I voted for it before I was against it".

June 13, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  18. Marie in California

If I were the younger Boren I wouldn't endorse Obama either....nor would I vote for him. In fact, I don't know why ANYONE voted for Obama!

I supported Hillary.....but now I support McCain.

Obama – Change You Can Believe In = lots of hot air.

McCain – Experience You Can Count On = for sure!

June 13, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  19. Chris Lee

Vote McCain.
    Support America's wholesome traditions of racism, sexism, homophobia.
    Vote McCain!

June 13, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  20. dave

So, I guess in this neo misogynistic society, you can't disagree with your father?

June 13, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  21. Buddy

Farther is like Obama a corrupt Chicago Politician. Son is smarter than dad.

June 13, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  22. Anthony Clarke

Please everyone vote for a change, vote Barack Obama.

June 13, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  23. Kathy

Join the crowd along with millions of us who do support Obama-this is news–let's get real. Just because the DNC chose to anoint this ill-qualified community organizer -does not mean the rest of us will come aboard-anyway his ship will sink come Nov. Titanic 2 and this time the DNC party members will have no life jackets to keep them afloat. As a supporter of the party most my adult life-though no longer one-I have seen this type of travesty happen time and time again. No one from the party emerges as a centralist democrat–with the exception of Bill Clinton-don't they realize far-right liberal views are no longer the main stream?–I guess they are just too stupid to realize this. So I have switched my affiliation to independent, and either vote for McCain, or not vote at all.

June 13, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  24. Kate

Why does the father find this puzzling? He said he raised his son to think for himself. Now that same son is asking his constituency to think for themselves. He's not saying "don't vote Obama" He's saying "don't let me tell you who to vote for, figure it out yourselves"

June 13, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  25. Idiot

We are all immigrants. Go back far enough and no one sprang originally from North America. I understand that the first homo sapiens were in Africa. That means we are all descendents of Africans. Skin color determined by climate. The hotter the climate, the darker the skin.
    The colder the lighter.
    (Nobody is white; only different shades of beige)
    Kinda puts things into perspective, no?

June 13, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |