June 13th, 2008

Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Tim Russert, who became one of America's leading political journalists as the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday, according to the network. He was 58.

He collapsed and died at work, according to the network. He had just returned from a family vacation in Italy to celebrate the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

Russert joined the network in 1984 and quickly established himself as the face of the network's political coverage

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Shelby Y.

Thanks for your years of service Tim, we are going to miss you!

June 13, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

this is shocking and sad. my condolences to his family and friends!

June 13, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  3. Angela, Miami, FL

He will be missed...condolences to all his family!

June 13, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. White small town for Obama !!

OMG NOOO!!! :-(( What a shock!!!! I admire , respect him as a moderator :-( .. My heart goes out to his family, friends and collegues. so sad! :-( God bless you..

I still can't believe it !! :-(

June 13, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  5. Linda31

I can't believe this. I have much respect for Tim Russert and he will be missed. Prayers to his family.

June 13, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  6. Marc S

RIP Tim. Great Journalist, a true professional. Our thoughts and Prayers to your family.

June 13, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  7. Yes we can!

My deepest condolences to the MSNBC family. I often switched back and forth during these primaries and he always got my attention.

June 13, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. iowa clem

i can't believe this, i watch msnbc every night, i feel bad for him because you could just tell how excited he was about covering this campign, hell it even made you excited listening to him talk with his tone and everything, you will truely be missed, MSNBC will never be the same, i just hope nothing happens to the dude from hardball, he's got me like a cult like following, i'd probably make some news if anything happended to chris hansen.

June 13, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  9. Anonymous

I am sooo sad. Meet the Press is my favorite Sunday morning show.
    May bless his soul!

June 13, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  10. Pls cnn --letthis one through

My prayers to his family and friends.
    I pray to god for his soul,s peace and his place in heaven .

Everyone –pls take a moment to pray for him and his family .

June 13, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. Russell Hammond

We lost a top professional journalist.

June 13, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. Women In California for Obama

Now this is scary. I just watched Meet the Press last Sunday. I am speechless...he was a good commentator. I'm sure he will be missed deeply by all of his colleagues.

June 13, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. Rob - vegas

RIP Tim.. you were a great newscaster.

June 13, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  14. The V-Child

Always insightful... you will be missed Tim.

Thanks for all the integrity you brought to journalism.

June 13, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  15. Xavier, Saint Louis, MO

I am so sorry to hear this tragic news. My prayers are with his family. May God rest his soul.

June 13, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. Brian Knoxville, TN

This news of the death of Tim Russert is difficult to believe. I will certainly miss him. We did not always agree with him, but I hope everyone will observe a moment of silence and remember Tim Russert for his great contibutions to our country over many years.

June 13, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. Fred Muna

This is so sad and unexpected. May he rest in peace

June 13, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  18. Michelle

I am deeply sadden by this news. I loved Tim Russert and repected his point-of-views on the world of politics. He will be GREATLY missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and son, as well as, the NBC family. I know Tim would have wanted to see the November general election, but at least he got to report and analyze the primary season. He looked as if he thoroughly enjoyed it–and I enjoyed watching and listening to him. I am so happy to know that he saw his son graduate. Again, I am so sadden by this news.

June 13, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  19. Elizabeth

What a sad day for all. Here was a newsperson that we could really trust to get the real story and not let anyone get away with half truths. This is really unbelievable.

June 13, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. Loretta from California

and we are very sorry that we lost such a dedicated member of the American Press.

May God be with, bless, and protect his family.

June 13, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  21. larry

im really gonna miss old tim, our lost

June 13, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. Arkansas Undertaker

OH NO!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!

This is a very sad day in American Journalism!!! It will not be the same without him.

God Bless Tim and The Russert Family. My thoughts and prayers are with family. You are truly loved and respected among many of us.

Rest in Eternal Peace!!!

June 13, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  23. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

God Bless him and his family!

June 13, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  24. Chris, from WI

Tim, you were my favorite political journalist; you were always fair and I respected that; you'll be missed and RIP.

June 13, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  25. Truth Be Told

Rest in peace, Russ. We will miss you.

June 13, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |