June 13th, 2008

Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Tim Russert, who became one of America's leading political journalists as the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday, according to the network. He was 58.

He collapsed and died at work, according to the network. He had just returned from a family vacation in Italy to celebrate the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

Russert joined the network in 1984 and quickly established himself as the face of the network's political coverage

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. BJ

One of the greatest journalist of our time. We didn't have him nearly long enough. Heaven's gain is surely our greatest loss. RIP Tim. We will miss you.

June 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  2. sky

The two Hillary supporters who said "good riddance" and "RIP".....have shocked and disturbed me to my core. I was shocked and hurt by the news about Tim but I am stunned that any human being could say those things so callously about another human being.

June 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  3. Sharon Minnesota

Too bad he was so biased in his politics as a journalist. He would have gotten more respect from some of us in the end. I always felt he leaned toward the left a little too much for my liking, but then most journalist do.

June 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  4. Evan

I absolutely loved this guy. I had always thought he was one of the most inciteful media figures of our time. This is a huge loss to MSNBC.

To anyone who would suggest that this man was squarely in Obama corner, I hope someone smacks some sense into you. This guy was as fair to both sides as you can be, and to challenge his professionalism and neutrality on the day of his death, I say you are one horrible, disgusting person. You should be ashamed.

June 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  5. barackobama4prez

Much love to Tim Russert and his family. He was the last of a dying breed of true journalists.

June 13, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  6. Objective-minded Independent

This is terrible! My heart goes out to his family. Sunday mornings will never be the same!

June 13, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. Isai Damier

Many poeple go to church on Sunday. But for me, always, "If it's Sunday, it's Meet the Press."

Wow, Tim; I can't believe you, man.

Whom will I hang out with Sunday, now that you are gone?

June 13, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. Lisa

Aside from Matt Lauer & Tom Brokaw, Mr. Russert was the only person I believed when he opened his mouth. What a sad day for the NBC news family. This election will certainly be laxking a strong, trusted voice. My heart goes out to his family.

June 13, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  9. Tom in CA

...what else can I say? ...except, that the Good die young.

How unfortunate for all of us.

June 13, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Some people here have some real blackness in their souls.

June 13, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. Donna

I feel as if I lost an old friend. Every Sunday morning I would grab my coffee and watch Meet the Press. He was the journalist I felt I could trust to deliver the truth of a story. The world has lost a great man. My prayers go to his family, and friends.

June 13, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  12. John in KY

Rest in Peace "Tim" you will be missed & Remembered!!

June 13, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  13. Citizen

The saddest part is that he will not be here on election night with his chalk board to call the results. You could tell that he was genuinely enjoying this campaign season.

June 13, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  14. Thomas Jefferson

Never agreed with his liberal stance, but he seemed like a good man. He will be missed. May he make it to The Lord. Godspeed.

June 13, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  15. Ralph

This is really shocking!!!
    He was a great journalist and my sincere condolence to his family.
    He sure will be greatly missed.
    RIP

June 13, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  16. Mohammed, MI

Wow, what a shock. Russert was by far the most influential, professional, and most compelling anchor.

RIP

June 13, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  17. Mister Anderson

This sent a shock to my system! I was REALLY REALLY REALLY looking forward to his election night coverage on what could be one of America's most historic moments if Obama was elected.

Holy cow, there is no replacing this guy. You can't even dream to get someone else. :-(

June 13, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  18. Peter in PA

RIP Tim...What a loss!

June 13, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. Todd Obama

I did not know TIm Russert, but like so many others, I am deeply moved by his death. He just seemed like a wonderful, hard-working, brilliant, family oriented guy. He was truly a giant, and truly one of the great ones. His relationship with his dad, his wife, his son, his co-workers, his Bills, and all of us...we are richer for it. Rest In Peace. Kaddish.

June 13, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. Pat in Cali

Wow. He was the last of the fair, honest commentators who asked the hard questions and got the straight anwers. Tim will be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. Bhuvana

I just tuned in to MSNBC and heard the tragic news. I still cannot believe it, I'm so shocked and so sad.
    He was a credit to his profession.
    My heartfelt condolences to his family. You are not alone in your grief.
    You will be greatly missed, Tim, and always remembered.
    Rest in peace.

June 13, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. Rena

Well I was trying to say a small prayer, somehow look like everytime I go to put a prayer on this blog it is thrown out. CNN do you believe in prayer? My prayers do go out to Mr. Russert's family.

June 13, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  23. Nelms

RIP Tim.

June 13, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  24. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

Oh Tim....

you will be missed

He was one of THE most insightful and ACCURATE and HONEST people on television.

June 13, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  25. Linda K.

Our family will miss him also. May God bless his family at this difficult time.

June 13, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |