June 13th, 2008

Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Tim Russert, who became one of America's leading political journalists as the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday, according to the network. He was 58.

He collapsed and died at work, according to the network. He had just returned from a family vacation in Italy to celebrate the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

Russert joined the network in 1984 and quickly established himself as the face of the network's political coverage

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jenee, NYC

CNN!!!! I know this won't be be posted but I'll try anyway. If you claim to moderate comments, why not actually moderate!!!!!!!!!!! Why would you allow these crazed people to express any form of hate or disrespect for this man's life!! Do your job and keep the wicked and unwarrented comments off the blog!!

To be so disheartened by this news, it is in no one's best interest to have to read such mean spirited and down right evil comments.

To Tim, we have yet to realize how much you will be missed. The absolute best there was. May your family find comfort in your memory.

June 13, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. Celeste

I am saddened by the news. A truly great journalist. He will be missed, especially on Meet the Press. I pray that his family will be comforted by the fact that he was much beloved and respected, and a man of deep faith. May his soul rest in peace.

June 13, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. Sabrina

My deepest condolences to his family, you could tell he was a great family man, and had such respect for his father. Very sad.

June 13, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  4. Jim

RIP, he was a good fair person, I watched em on msnbc and always liked him, he was a noble person.

June 13, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  5. Sandy

What a loss–to us all.

It always seems like the good ones go first.

We loved you, Tim.

June 13, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  6. Margaret

It was a total shock to hear the news. Mr. Russert was such a wonderful man and a great journalist.

My prayers and condolences to his family and friends.

I can't believe the awful comments from some of the Clinton supporters, so sad :(

June 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  7. A Grieving Nation

A moment of silence please

Thanks for everything Tim, you will be dearly missed.

June 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  8. RIP TIM...We love you

I think the Hillary people who are bashing Tim Russert on here and saying such awful things should take a look in the mirror, and take a look at your relationships with your friends, families, and co-workers, and wonder why you will never be half the people that Tim Russert was.

June 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  9. Angel for Obama

This is a big shock to hear about and I heart goes out the the Russert family. Meet the press was a great show. I'm so sorry about the tragic loss.

June 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. Brian

Tim,

You insight and knowledge, combined with gentle apporach to asking the tough questions, will be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  11. silas

I watch his show on Sunday and that makes it hard for me to believe he is no more but just memory now

June 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  12. Will in Richmond, VA

I was shocked to hear this news. He was so young at 58. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family at home and his family at NBC. I enjoyed his commentary and interviews and he will be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  13. Wh. W. from PA

""DEB June 13th, 2008 4:03 pm ET

GOOD RIDDANCE YOU HILLARY HATER
    MCCAIN 08""

May the Lord deal with you in his own way...You will most likely go to where it is really very, very hot.
    --------------------------------
    God bless Mr. Russert's soul, family and his friends....Will miss MTP very much, Sunday morning will never be the same.

June 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  14. Linda Duran

My prayers are with the Russert family for their devastating loss. The NBC and MSNBC family as well will grieve long and hard.

After 20 years of working with students in a Grief Group, I know too well how long and hard the healing process is.

Blessing to all of you and please, take your time to heal

June 13, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  15. ElizabethDN, USA

A very sad loss indeed. I do not watch much TV "news or news shows," but watched quite a bit of the recent Primary election coverage. I came to respect and admire Tim Russert who brought a breadth and depth of knowledge and professionalism to the primary debates. It's sad that the profession has lost a most credentialed, solid journalists. Above all else he's a husband, father, son, etc., condolences to his family.

June 13, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  16. Victor in Saanich, B.C. Canada

As a soon to be 57 year old [tomorrow!!] it just enforces the idea that as we age the future is not set in stone!! Tim in his time got to go to many places, meet many high profile people and the proletariats of many countries and had the opportunity to raise the level of debate both nationally and internationally. We should all leave such a legacy!!

June 13, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. Kia

What a great man. Rest In peace Tim, you deserve a better world to live in and enjoy. Thanks for everything you have done for us(american People). Yo will always be one the greatest Journalist in our heart.

June 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. EDNA E. PATTERSON

I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK UPON LEARNING OF THE DEATH OF TIM RUSSERT. MY FAVORITE SUNDAY NEWS PROGRAM WAS MEET THE PRESS. I FEEL AS THOUGH I HAVE LOST A FAMILY MEMBER AND I HAVE NEVER PERSONALLY MET TIM. MAY GOD BLESS AND KEEP HIS FAMILY. HE WAS TOUGH AND FAIR WITH ALL . THEY DON'T COME ANY BETTER.

June 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  19. P

A great journalist, he will be missed. Always learned something listening to him.

Deb, Nancy, James from Los Angeles, and the other hatemongers on this board – you are disgusting. May his family never read your hateful comments. May others be kinder to you and your family when tragedy comes to your worlds.

June 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  20. sophia nyc

What a shock. I'm shocked.

June 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  21. YES WE CAN + YES WE WILL= DEMS IN WHITE HOUSE

I will surely miss Tim, he was one of the best reporters, always nonbias and a very pleasant person.

Wish the family peace in knowing and remembering the fond memories they searched.

Bernice

June 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  22. PCS / North Carolina

Tim
    We will miss you. A sad day for our country.
    Many condolences to his family and friends.

June 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  23. Muffy

Rip Tim...
    I can not believe people would come on here and make harsh comments like that...

June 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  24. becky

One of the greatest journalists in history.

We will keep the "amazing race" going for you tell the finish line.
    You will be proud.

God Bless your family and friends. My prayers to them all.

I see you running those numbers in heaven.

June 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. Betty Reyes

What a lossd! He was a great journalist and I deeply enjoyed his reports. Condolences to his familt and coworkers.

June 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |