June 13th, 2008

Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Tim Russert, who became one of America's leading political journalists as the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday, according to the network. He was 58.

He collapsed and died at work, according to the network. He had just returned from a family vacation in Italy to celebrate the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

Russert joined the network in 1984 and quickly established himself as the face of the network's political coverage

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Thompson

Oh my...I loved this guy! He was one of the few opinions I valued.

June 13, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  2. joseph

Tim,The memory of your reporting integrity and professionalism stays forever. God will support your family during this trying moment.May your gentle soul rest in peace. It is sad loosing you too soon.

June 13, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  3. Heidi

This Giant!!!! who has left us!!! This is a terribly sad day!! My heart goes out to both his family especially to BIG RUSS!! and the whole NBC family too. Tim's straightforward reporting on all of this worlds trials and tribulations were soo helpful to me to format in my own mind what and where I can and will contribute to this country's problems.. You ,Tim, will be sadly missed.. THANKYOU AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK AND INCITEFUL THOUGHTS.. R. I. P.

June 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  4. Cindy

Oh no! This is so sad! My condolences to his family, NBC, and the entire news world. He will be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. Tara, Elmira NY

I am in shock and tears. I watched Tim on Meet the Press and on the other NBC shows. He was on in our living room almost every night and every Sunday Morning. He was so genuine and "regular" people. To some degree I think we all felt like we knew him personally. God Bless you on your journey to that Great Meet the Press desk in the Sky... You are Missed!!!

June 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. Adeola

Tim is a man between men... I am still in shock!

June 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  7. Allan

Tim will be greatly missed. He was the most level-headed, intelligent broadcasters out there. He will be difficult, if not impossible, to replace.

For all of you who are spouting hate and ignorance about this sad day, remember what goes around comes around. He was a fellow human being and someone who worked hard and contributed alot to our society and he will be greatly missed.

June 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  8. Mark TX

I am in disbelief and sadden. Tim was a very good man. He is better off as he is in heaven, My heart felf sympathy and prayers for his family. May God bring comfort to his family.
    Shame on the Hillary supporters for your hateful comments posted here..

June 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. mkn

bye Tim. Sure will miss you on Sunday's.
    Keep an eye on things for us will ya....

:o(

June 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. Eric Ranschau

I found Tim to be a thoughtful, intelligent person who could ask the tough questions yet remain fair and balanced in his journalism. He will surely be missed! My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

June 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  11. Theresa

I had the pleasure of meeting him, he was a true gentleman and a great storyteller. He made you appreciate the politcial process because he had true love for it. He will be greatly missed.

June 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  12. bush4Obama

RIP......many prayers to the family......thanks for sharing this great man.... and true servant of GOD!!!

June 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  13. ALLBAMALLTHETIME

We loved you Tim. You made me delve into the political debate in an unprecedented way. Thank you for that. Your work changed my life. RIP.

June 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  14. Uncle Sam

Goodbye Tim.

June 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. marc Jasin

we will miss u tim, u were great

June 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. Heidi

My heart goes out to both his family especially to BIG RUSS!! and the whole NBC family too. . This is soo sad on this loss of a Giant in new reporting... Tim, You'll be missed very much.. RIP

June 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. Trey L.

RIP!
    Tim you will be missed......you made understanding politics easy.
    God bless you and your family. America was bless to have had you even if it was just for a little while.
    Sunday mornings will never be the same.

June 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  18. Juan from L.A., CA

God this sucks!!! My deepest sympathy to his family and friends. Tremendous loss for us viewers of the media. No doubt he will be questioning God up there with the millions of questions we would like to ask him.

June 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  19. Robert

This is so sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I will personally miss his journalism a ton. This is a sad day.

June 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  20. Wayne

This is a sad, sad day for America and for me personally. I tuned into Russert's Meet the Press every weekend. He was one of the few OBJECTIVE journalists that asked all of the candidates the tough questions. I felt like I could get honesty from Russert. For instance, all of the other networks allowed the Clinton campaign to say they led in the popular vote and never challenged it. Only Russert brought to light that her math involved Obama getting ZERO votes from one or more states in order for her to be the popular vote winner.

Tim Russert. My prayers are with your soul and your family.

June 13, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  21. IDU

I don't know any political interviewer or interviewer period who asks the great questions like this man. God bless your family and your soul.

June 13, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  22. American

We'll miss you Tim.

Side note – Absolutely disgusted how SOME of these Clinton supporters are attempting to validate his death because they don't like him. You dishonor yourself, your candidate, and America. Shame on you.

June 13, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  23. Rick FL

This is so sad. I have always loved Tim Russert on Meet The Press and MSNBC. My thoughts & prayers are with the everyone he touched with his greatness. Tim will be remembered with much respect, honor, and admiration.
    God bless.

June 13, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  24. Kelly, DC

My heart is truly broken. Political journalism lost a giant today. There was no stronger, clearer, or more trusted voice in the profession. I will miss him tremendously. My sympathies and thoughts are with his family.

June 13, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  25. Fella from Chicago

Excellent journalist and apparent wonderful human being. This blog should be to pay respect to the man and condolences to his family, not judgement as to his past personal preferences for certain candidates for political offices. His successor will be hard pressed to fill his void.

June 13, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |