June 13th, 2008

Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Tim Russert, who became one of America's leading political journalists as the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday, according to the network. He was 58.

He collapsed and died at work, according to the network. He had just returned from a family vacation in Italy to celebrate the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

Russert joined the network in 1984 and quickly established himself as the face of the network's political coverage

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Prince

R.I.P Tim. My best wishes go to your Son, Wife and Family – Prince.

June 13, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  2. benaya

I am so saddened by the news. Tim was a gentleman and i had much respect for him. He will certainly be missed. My prayers to the family.

June 13, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Renee Las Vegas

This is a Sad Day... He will truly be missed.
    Heartbreaking.......
    My Prayers and thoughts are with his Family

June 13, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  4. edith

I’m in choked, he was a great journalist my prayers to his family, he will be missed. :-(

June 13, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  5. American

One of America's finest journalist dies, and people still find a way to make Hillary Clinton the center of this. You speak volumes of your character and the candidate you support. Shame on you.

June 13, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  6. Fridith

RIP. Life is so short... You will be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. Chuks

Brandon for Hillary i suppose you are the one that formed PUMA. You are a complete idiot for insulting a man who just died. How vile, cold and low can you get? We want all you racists jim crow democrats to get out of the party and join the repubs you ignorant wicked evil man.

And if anything happens to any other news analyst there will be riots on the streets whether they died naturally or not.

Brandon YOU ARE HATE PERSONIFIED

June 13, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  8. James, Redlands, CA

The world has lost a great journalist. His presence will be missed in our lives. My condolences to his family and friends.

Thank you CNN for publishing the few hateful comments by some. They help to remind us that there are still people in this world that are so lost in thier own dark souls that they could take this opportunity to dance on the tragedy of a family.

RIP Mr. Russet

June 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. Casey, Minneapolis, MN

I can't believe some of the comments on here! You people should be ashamed of yourself!

Thank you, Mr. Russert, for your many years of quality journalism. Will truly be a difficult task replacing you.

June 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  10. angie

I'm disappointed in the people are choosing to remember him distastefully like implications that it was partially his fault that Hillary Clinton didn't win the race. Put your emotions about the politics aside for once and remember his fruitful career.

RIP TIM RUSSERT
    My prayers go out to you and your loved ones.

June 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  11. Lynette

God bless his family and rest his soul. He was a great journalist who will be greatly missed.

June 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. arlene

Tim will be greatly miss..his voice was one of sound reasoning. I just started watching Meet the Press his discussions were of great substance and his guests were superb. I pray for someone with excellent caliber will be able to fill those big SHOES.

I will be praying for his wife and son has they go through this time of mourning and his colleagues.

June 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  13. Nasa in CA

My heart is broken. My news icon is gone. The last honest man in the news is gone. Who will replace him? May his gentle soul rest in peace!

June 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  14. Bills Fan

Such a trajedy.... I loved that he was a life-long Bills fan, not to mention a great commentator with wit, humor, and heart. You will be missed, Tim. Go Bills.....

June 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  15. Joe,NY

Very shocking,our thoughts are with the Russert family,Rest in peace Tim!!!!!!!

June 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  16. Heaven Can't wait

The LORD IS MY SHEPHARD

MAY THE GOD OF MERCY AND LOVE BRING YOU TO HIS EVERLASTING LIFE MR. TIM. I SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE BROTHER.

June 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  17. Democracy

I'm saddened to hear about his death. I found him one of the unbiased reporter and maintained a high level of journalism. Condolences to his family members.

Thank you sir and you will be remembered.

June 13, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  18. Saha Cha

I should be crying and I'm too happy. Is this normal?

June 13, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  19. rowland hill

Tim Russert was an incredible person and an amazing journalist. I had the honor of working for him at the 2004 Democratic National Convention in Boston and he was the nicest guy. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

And to those that are saying good riddance to him because they're pissed that Hillary didn't get the nomination and think he led the "Left-wing media conspiracy" against her:
    SHAME ON YOU. THERE IS A SPECIAL PLACE IN HELL RESERVED FOR YOU EVIL, SELFISH, THOUGHTLESS, PETTY AND STUPID PEOPLE.

June 13, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  20. steve

Thanks for everything, you will be missed may God be with your family and friends.

June 13, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  21. Independent in DC

R.I.P. to one of the last truly great journalists.

Can't believe there are actually Clinton supporters so bitter about her loss that they have the gould to disrespect this man's death. Karma will catch up to you...

June 13, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  22. Justin in CA

He helped turn me into a news junkie and I will always be thankfull to him for that. My heart is so heavy today. My thoughts go out to his friends and family. Especialy his son, wife, and father. He was such a great man. His bias reporting should be the standard all others live up to.

June 13, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  23. Ellen

What very sad news to hear. Tim Russert was such an incredible journalist and person. You could see how much he loved his family and the work he did as a journalist. He will very much be missed. Our thoughts, prayers and peace to his family.

June 13, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  24. He will be missed.

What a loss for news programs everywhere. He will be missed!!!

June 13, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  25. foosayer

The best of the best. We'll miss Tim.

June 13, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |