June 13th, 2008

Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Tim Russert, who became one of America's leading political journalists as the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday, according to the network. He was 58.

He collapsed and died at work, according to the network. He had just returned from a family vacation in Italy to celebrate the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

Russert joined the network in 1984 and quickly established himself as the face of the network's political coverage

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

From reading his first book (which I gave to my Dad for Father's day) to watching him on Meet the Press, he was a good man. I am sorry to hear that he has left us. This will make all the political events and elections after this just a little less fun and interesting. To his family, my deep sympathies and my his memory be a blessing.

June 13, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. bwlib

This is such sad news. Tim was my favorite commentor. Peace be with him and his family

June 13, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. tom, boston

he was a little better than most. RIP.

June 13, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. Ray

My prayers are with his family.

June 13, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. John Q

RIP Tim-

I didn't always agree with you, but at least you were balanced.

June 13, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. Alani Kuye

NO! NO!! NO!!! NO!!! NO!!!! NO WAY! This CANNOT be happening! I have spent EVERY sunday with Tim Russert my whole adulthood! NO This cannot be happening!

Alani Kuye
    Phantom Data Systems.
    Norwalk, CT

June 13, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. Luis

Obama did it.............................

June 13, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. Ellie in Aurora, CO

Truly a great man who will be so missed. I cried when I heard the sad news.

June 13, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. Tom

This is really really sad. I am a Meet The Press viewer and Tim is one of the best anchors in news. I guess the lesson to learn is that tomorrow is promised to nobobdy.

June 13, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. independent voter

An outstanding journalist!

He was one of my favorites, until he very openingly favored obama over Hillary. To me, that is a no-no. Journalists are supposed to be objective.

June 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. Jan from Boca Raton, Fl.

Our prayers to his family.

He was one of the best.

He was always fair and never bias . He spoke the truth and everyone

admired him. He will truly be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. Lori, Spfld IL

Good Bye Tim and God Keep you. You were one of the best.

June 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  13. Paul

Terrible tragedy – no offense to anyone at CNN – but Tim was the ultimate political reporter. My Sunday Mornings will be empty without him.

Godspeed Tim

June 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  14. Hillary-ious

Rest in peace Tim-

You were a great journalist, and one of the best political analysts out there. You will be missed. Prayers go out to your family.

June 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  15. Carrie Pa

Shocking!!!!!!!!! Speachless!!!!!!!!

June 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  16. American Son

the race for the whitehouse coverage will not be the same.

RIP Tim, you were one of the BEST

June 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  17. Jon in Ca

Mr Russert – you were one of the few shining examples left today of top-knotch journalism. You gave every person interviewed a fair and firm approach – regardless of party or affiliation.

You will be sorely missed!

My prayers and condolences to your family.

June 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. jim anderson

I watched meet the press every subnday I don't know what to do now.
    Rest in peace Tim Russert

June 13, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  19. White small town for Obama !!

I don't know where's my comment, but my heart goes out to his family.. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends... I followed him through the primaries, I really like Tim Russert great moderator and journalist is not going to be the same without him.. So shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stop feeling so sad :-(........

June 13, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  20. lulubell

I was in complete shock to hear this news. I have enjoyed listening to Tim Russett and have long admired his work. This is a great loss to the media and to the world. I offer my deepest condolences to his family and friends. God Bless!

June 13, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  21. Paula

He was one of the best and will be truly missed.

June 13, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  22. Renee St.Louis

I love you Tim

June 13, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  23. Raymond Duke

Russert overall was a pretty good person for a blue blooded liberal left winger. He was smart and did his job well. Overall the man was pretty fair except for this last primary when his bais really showed for Obama and against Clinton. But overall it is a sad day for journalism.

June 13, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  24. Jj24

Thanks Tim for all you did for journalism. You were one of the best!
    May you rest in peace, and God bless your family.
    Good night sweet prince...

June 13, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |