June 13th, 2008

Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Tim Russert, who became one of America's leading political journalists as the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday, according to the network. He was 58.

He collapsed and died at work, according to the network. He had just returned from a family vacation in Italy to celebrate the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

Russert joined the network in 1984 and quickly established himself as the face of the network's political coverage

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Larry, GA

I am in complete shock. He was insightful and agressive on "Meet the Press." He was a very good newsman. I will be praying for his family.

June 13, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. LA WOMAN

HE WAS THE CREME DE LA CREME, WILL MISS HIM DEARLY.

June 13, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  3. Chrissy, TX

My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends. He is now with his lord and savior and may he rest in peace. Thanks Tim for your great reporting and you will be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. John in Mlps.

Tim Russert was the best political reporter out there. I watched Meet the Press almost every Sunday religiously. He will be truly missed.

Whomever takes over Meet the Press will have some BIG shoes to fill.

Rest in peace Tim...

June 13, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  5. Mary McMahon

Sunday mornings won't be the same....his shoes are unfillable and the example by which he led his life is profound.

June 13, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  6. Jeff

Devastated! A rare independent voice in today's newsrooms. He will be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  7. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

GOD BLESS HIM AND HIS FAMILY I WILL MISS HIM EVER SUN. MORINGH. MY HEART AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY

June 13, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  8. jack

oh my god.
    I love this man. I pray for his family

June 13, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  9. fairandstraight

I pray God's blessings on his family; he will be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  10. Tom in CA

God Bless You Tim.

You have gone to a far better place.

June 13, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  11. A Professional To Miss

I'm so very saddened to hear about the death of Tim Russert today. This is one of the people that put and maintined a level of journalistic intergrity that kept me from growing cynical when being bombarded by all this reality tv nonsense that is shoved down our throats 24/7 by other journalists and media alike. My prayers are with his family and for those of us who relied on his widsom.

June 13, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  12. Jazzie

My prayers goes out to his family, he will be missed very much because he was the only news person in the media who was fair I will miss you Tim Russert.

June 13, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. Jim W

Sorry for his family but didn't think he was a particularly fair person in his reporting.

June 13, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  14. JennyM

Sunday morning will not be the same. A REAL journalist – who researched before he spoke. He was tough but always fair. I don't think there is a journalist today who can stand in his shadow. A HUGE loss.

June 13, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  15. Bayousara

Such a shock and so sad!

This journalist was right at the top with Walter Cronkite.

Sunday mornings won't be the same without Tim on Meet the Press.

Politics the rest of this year won't be the same.....

My heart goes out to his beloved family and especially his pa.

June 13, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. Dennis

I'm very shocked. He was one of my favorite political journalists. He genuinely seemed to love discussing and breaking down politics. I was looking forward to watching him on election night this November. My thoughts are with his family right now.

June 13, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  17. Anonymous

wow....

america is losing it's royalty

June 13, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  18. Alexandra

Brandon. Shame on you for making this about politics! A good man just lost his life!!!

Anyway Tim,
    You were one of the best and brightest. cannto believe you ae dead!
    We will miss you terribly
    RIP and God be with you

June 13, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. Common Sense

You will be missed. RIP Tim.

June 13, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. Sharon

He was an Obama Supporter too. He will be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  21. donna

wow Deb and Nancy..wonder what people will say about you when you die!!! truly pathetic....

R.I.P. Tim..regardless of your views you were a FATHER, HUSBAND and excellent newscaster...prayers to your family as well as for Deb and Nancy who clearly need it!!!

June 13, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  22. XY and Zee

Tim Russert will be remembered as the brought Hillary Clinton down. HRC must be crying her eyes out.

June 13, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  23. Ted R. from NYC

This is truly sad. My Sunday mornings will no longer be complete. He will be missed by many.

June 13, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  24. R

it's hard to belive. RIP

June 13, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  25. rachel

My prayers go out to his family

June 13, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |