June 13th, 2008

Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Tim Russert, who became one of America's leading political journalists as the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday, according to the network. He was 58.

He collapsed and died at work, according to the network. He had just returned from a family vacation in Italy to celebrate the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

Russert joined the network in 1984 and quickly established himself as the face of the network's political coverage

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. John, OH

We will miss you Tim. GOD bless you.

June 13, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. 5two

I loved this guy. First RKelly gets off, now Tim Russert dies...today is a terrible day.

RIP Tim!

5'2"

June 13, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. carla

still in shock =[

June 13, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. Shelly in IL

I really admired Tim Russert and adored his show. My heart goes out to his family.

June 13, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. Jenny from IN

Wow, Tim was a great journalist and I always respected him. My heart goes out to his family on this sad day.

June 13, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. Timothy

I am so shocked and very saddened. God bless Tim Russert.

June 13, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. Crazy Is As Crazy Does

Nancy in Florida...how pathetic are you? You have no empathy for this man and his family on even a basic level t for their loss so you say good riddance because Mr. Russert was an Obama supporter? If you are the caliber of Hilliary supporter that is the norm than as HIllary Clinton, I wouldn't have a whole lot to be proud of at all as a woman, a American or a human being.

June 13, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. Concerned

Wow, I watch him every week, you really do not know the date or time that you will leave this earth, that is why each day should be live for its own.

RIP

Concerned

June 13, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  9. Indy guy

Shame on you DEB and Nancy from FL..people like you make me sick

June 13, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. Chris, San Diego

A great journalist who will be truly missed. My condolences to his family and all at NBC News.

June 13, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Janie, Raleigh, N.C.

I used to love Tim Russert. I even supplied a tribute to my dad for his book, Wisdom of our Fathers. However, during this primary campaign he seem bloated and did not look well. Friends and I have mentioned that seemed to be so attracted to Obama and none of those on NBC or MSNBC seemed to be fair to Senator Clinton at all. Russert disappointed us greatly. It is too bad that his life ended so early and he will be missed. However, I wonder if someone couldn't have taken him aside and asked him about his health, his weight, and the reason he had become less objective in the primary as he pushed Obama on us.

June 13, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. Paul, Riverside, CA

Rest in Peace Tim, you will be missed.

June 13, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. Savvy

Loved him. May he rest in peace...

June 13, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. Bayousara

If ever CNN should remove vicious posts, this thread is one of them.

The only description that fits those of you who have written such nasty posts about Tim is that you are juveniles and need to grow up.

If CNN removes this post or the other one I wrote, I just want to add myself to the many condolences given to Tim.

June 13, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Dandelion.

So sad, I really am heartbroken over this. So shocking!

June 13, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. Smith

So sad.This November will not be the same without him.We gonna miss him.Good Night and Good Bye!

June 13, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Kim, Charlotte, NC

I am soooooooooooooooo saddened.

I can picture him on MSNBC......saying "Hold on...this political season we are in for a bumpy ride.

June 13, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. KLM

This is horrible. He was one of the few fair journalists out there. Sooo shocking. I feel sorry for his son but at least Tim just saw him graduate from college.

I absolutely loved him. I will miss him dearly. Condolences to his family.

June 13, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. loren - fl

R.I.P TIM RUSSERT YOU WILL BE MISSED.. ONE OF THE BEST JOURNALIST WE'VE EVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF WATCHING..

June 13, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  20. Nia - female from AZ

He will be deeply missed. it was watching his show that over time got me into the realm of politics, watching and ingaging myself with what is going on. I really liked his show and his ability to take guest to task on issues weather they were Rep., Dem or Ind.
    In the current age of Hannitys, O'Rileys with biased views and personal agendas, Tim was a genuine and wise jounalist *sniff*

June 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Dallas, TX

Tim Russert will be missed, he was an excellent journalist.

My prayers to the Russert family.

June 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  22. Mike Jones

God's speed Tim. You were one of the best.

June 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  23. Glad to be an Independent

Russert was the BEST. I watched his show "Meet The Press" as much as possible. I enjoyed watching him because he was fair to both sides and he pressed the panel for answers. My prayers and condolences are with his family and friends.

June 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. Benjamin Mervis

When i saw this it was one of the most surprising and saddening event, RIP Tim and the country will miss you and politics will not be the same without you. You kept politicians honest and always maintaining your ethics and great presence.

June 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. Mike from Dallas

God Bless Mr. Russert Soul.

My prayers go out to his family and friends who will miss him.

June 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |