June 13th, 2008

Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Tim Russert, who became one of America's leading political journalists as the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday, according to the network. He was 58.

He collapsed and died at work, according to the network. He had just returned from a family vacation in Italy to celebrate the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

Russert joined the network in 1984 and quickly established himself as the face of the network's political coverage

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. A good fair man

I am sadden to see this I went to Huffington Post and this was the First thing I saw. My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends. I had just started watching him during this campaing season and I thought he was pretty fair and firm I will miss him as there are only a few I chose to watch. I will miss watching and hearing his opinion. May God Bless his Family And Friend through these trying times.

June 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  2. Elizabeth

I lost my father a few months back in an almost identical manner - seemingly perfect health, then collapse from a heart attack. My heart truly goes out to his family in dealing with such a shock. I'm thankful, as they will one day be, that they had the opportunity to spend that time together as a family in Italy before this loss.

Tim Russert was one of the only people in modern journalism who I respected. He will be sorely missed.

God bless.

June 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  3. Eli, Ohio

Tim Russert will be missed greatly. We have lost a giant of the media. He was the face of Politics, and someone who was deeply respected for his opinions on every range of issue. The world will not be the same without Tim Russert. May he rest in peace.

June 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  4. Michael - Chicago, IL

You will be missed. I offer my condolences to his family and thos who knew him personally. One of the few members of the media that had my full respect.

June 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  5. Lora

This is terrible news. Tim Russert was a true legend of American Journalism. He was alwayst fair and balanced and never shied away from the tough questions. He was the reason I always watched Meet the Press. I feel like a family member just died.

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. Politico

Such a sad day– he was a man of integrity.

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. RASHEEDA

Life is so unpredictable. Makes me think about McCain's destiny.

May Tim rest in peace and you will be dearly missed.

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  8. Kelby from Houston, TX

I am shocked. This man was a fixture in my house every sunday. I will miss him the program meet the press will be hard pressed to find a replacement of his calibur. My deepest condolences to his family especially his father who is still alive

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  9. Shelly in Georgia

What a sad loss. . . Tim Russert was one of the most professional and respected journalists. It always made my Sunday to watch Meet the Press. He will be greatly missed.

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. Jo Ann

He will sure be missed he was professional newsman all the way.
    My prayers is with his family.

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. Alexandra

Shame on anyone who posts a "good riddance" blog.
    This is not about politics, a good man just died!
    Miss you Tim

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  12. David

My prayer and thoughts go out his family and nbc family..

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  13. Karie

This is heartbreaking. I have so much respect for Tim Russert. My prayers are with his family in this time of sorrow. God Bless.

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  14. Obama-Clinton '08

RIP Tim Russert. You will be dearly missed.

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. Louden

Political Media Integrity has taken a unimagined loss.

Thoughts and Prayers to the Russert family and friends

June 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. illinoisian

To Brandon Hillary Democrat for McCain and DEB:

What is wrong with you people. You may not respect the man's political affiliations but have the decency to respect the man.

How callous and cold you are. Get therapy for your anger issues.

My condolences go out to the Russert Family in this trying time.

June 13, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. Under the radar, in Oregon

My thoughts are prayers are with his family. I watched MTP on a regular basis and will miss his frame of mind. Sundays will never be the same..... Tim you will be missed :-(

June 13, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. Obama-Clinton '08

You will be dearly missed Tim!

June 13, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. NEVEROBAMA

There is no bigger Hillary fan than me. I am deeply saddened by this. Please Hillary supporters do not post anything negative. Have more respect!!

TIm you will be truly missed!!!

June 13, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  20. ree

So very sorry. A great newsman. My condolences to the family.

May you Rest in Peace.

June 13, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  21. sky

A personal note to Brand Hillary Democrat for McCain

Russert was the one man who was not biased or prejudiced or full of spin.

you should be ashamed of yourself

June 13, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  22. ted

NANCY FROM FL – Show some respect. In spite of his views and yours clashing. – have pity for the man and show some respect to his family.

this is a tragedy and while he may have been a supporter of Obama he was a great journalist and made for great television

June 13, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  23. Jennifer

Shame on those of you making comments about "good riddance" to anyone based on your political views. The three of you I saw- Nancy, Deb and Chris- that chose to make those comments on this blog at this time are truly heartless human beings. Please feel free to leave the Democratic party at any time. I doubt most Republicans would want you either.

God bless Tim Russert a legend in newsmaking and God watchover your family and children too young to lose a father.

June 13, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  24. lil

I will miss him on msnbc and nbc. He was a good interviewer and
    could ask the serious question with a smile on his face.

June 13, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  25. Anne D Mckinney

I am so sorry, Tim Russert was wonderful & my heart goes out to all
    of us left behind with this empty space that no one can ever fill. I
    looked at Tim as being so full of engery & with all kinds of great
    information to share. We are lucky we had Tim for the time we did
    but I do wish it could have been so much longer. May his family &
    friends feel some peace knowing many of us hope their tears
    will change to smiles remembering all the great memories he gave
    us.