June 13th, 2008

Obama: GOP trying to make me and Michelle 'scary'

Sen. Barack Obama has told critics to 'lay off my wife,' Michelle Obama.
Sen. Barack Obama has told critics to 'lay off my wife,' Michelle Obama.

(CNN) – Barack Obama said Thursday he fully expects Republican's to play the fear card in the general election, and will attempt to portray both him and his wife Michelle as "scary."

Speaking at a high-dollar fundraiser in Chicago's Hyde Park on Thursday evening, the Illinois senator said he thinks he knows what the GOP strategy will be this fall.

"They’re going to try to make me into a scary guy. They’re even trying to make Michelle into a scary person. Right?" Obama said. "And so that drumbeat – 'we’re not sure if he’s patriotic or not; we’re not sure if he is too black.'

WATCH: How Michelle Obama may be a target

"I don’t know, before I wasn’t black enough," Obama said. " 'Now he might be too black. We don’t know whether he’s going to socialize – well, who knows what.' "

The comments come a day after the Obama campaign set up a Web site to directly respond to several Internet rumors that have long swirled around the presidential candidate and his wife.

As CNN reported Thursday, conservatives may view Michelle Obama as a potential target this election season, following her controversial comment earlier this year that, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country."

In May, the Tennessee Republican Party used video of Michelle Obama's comments in a TV ad that aired during one of her husband's campaign stops in the state. The ad features Tennesseeans saying why they are proud of America while repeatedly cutting to Michelle Obama's comments. The Obama campaign called the ad "shameful," and it was condemned by the state's two Republican U.S. senators

Michelle Obama later said her comments were taken out of context, and she meant that for the first time in her life she was proud of the politics of America.

Meanwhile, Executive Director of EMILY's Ellen Moran predicted to CNN Michelle Obama will be an asset to her husband's campaign.

"I believe that the electorate sees her as a fresh face, an authentic speaker, and she gives real compelling voice to everyday problems that working mothers face and that is compelling in of itself, and I believe the republicans are trying to blunt that," Moran said.

1. right source

You have a few American people who would fall into this republican trap. WILL THE republican's GET MCCAIN WIFE TO REVEAL HER TAX DOCUMENTS.

PEOPLE GIVE ME A BREAK PLEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 13, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  2. Angie

The GOP use the same tactics against McCain himself when he ran for president before. Claiming that he had an illegitimate black daughter. Which happened to be a child from India; whom his wife adopted basically without his knowledge until she came home with the child. Of course she does what she wants. She really wanted a dark skinned child you know. hmmmm

So of course they are going to attack the Obamas. But, that is ok, we expect that from losers!!!

So who is more scarier the plastic wanna be Barbie doll beer heiress or the mother of two and dedicated wife?

June 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  3. Yankee Dog

The Repuglican hate machine will crank it up because that is all they have left. A hollow political party that since the Raygun era has done more to divide this wonderful country than to unite us all. Divided we fall, united we stand, and as soon as we begin to understand that simple truth, the sooner we all as Americans and citizens of the world can realize our awsome potential and power. Wake up people and see the truth before it is too late. This country and the world can't afford another Republican administration.

June 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  4. Tim

Give me a break. First of all, she said "really" proud. If you notice, the GOP TV adds conveniently exclude the word “really” and falsely state that she said, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am proud of my country." The actually have the audacity to bleep that word out. If that isn’t slander and criminal, I don’t know what is. Anyone who takes exception with her original statement is full of themselves. Why are all the folks willing to say that McSame's statement about 100 years in Iraq was not what he meant, but won't accept the clarification of Michelle Obama. Doesn't seem fair.

I am a military veteran of 20 plus years in the military. I love my country, and would have laid down my life in defense of it. However, I have not always been proud of my country. Our country has done some really dumb things. That has nothing to do with patriotism, that just to state a fact.

Let me put in context for those who are still confused. Have any of you told your kids that you are really proud of them? If so did that mean that you were not proud of them until that moment? Of course not!!! Let’s stop the silly stuff and grow up!!!

June 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  5. rs

Obama's the People's Champ. McCain's wants to turn the U.S. into the Soviet Union. Look it up folks:

The choice is clear.

June 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  6. Jeff, OR

The Republican mouth piece Fox News is already playing this game...."The terrorist fist bump" or referring to Michelle Obama as Barrack's "Baby's Mama". The network truly has no shame. And Obama didn't say the McCain campaign would do this but the republican spin machine......Rush, BillO, Fox, Hannity, Right wing radio. There is plenty of evidence all ready.

June 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  7. Loretta from California

BTW It's not just the GOP, the media has also done a very good job of vilifying Mrs. Obama. If I wasn't an independant thinker or have such a strong mind, I would be convinced that she was an Ogre.

June 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  8. Mike from Westchester

Let's see – If he doesn't respond, he allows himself to be swiftboated. If he points out what is happening, he's a crybaby. And if he fights back, then HE'S playing the race card.

He's not playing any card, he's responding to a bunch of lies spread by a bunch of unethical, cowardly, and truely unpatriotic people.

Got news for you, he's going to fight back. He's not going to do what John Kerry did – allow a bunch of scumbags to make the REAL war hero look weaker that the guy who dodged the draft by using connections to get cushy stateside air national guard service.

Both Barack and Michelle are way more patriotic than anyone who would attempt to soil our election process with lies – and you know who you are!

June 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  9. 5

well she hates this country, so mabye she should go some where else.

June 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  10. Kristen- Philadelphia, PA

Its not playing the race card…in the beginning of the primary season media would report the Clintons history with black voters and question whether Obama was black enough for black people to support him. Now that Obama has won the black vote I believe 90% of it in the primaries, some racist folks think he is too black.

I just want to point out that we have only had white Presidents and nominees in the past who have always won the white vote. No body thought they were too white.

Obama being half black makes black people in this country very proud because there was a time when he was not possible. Obama standing where he is today speaks to the possibility of what many thought was impossible. It does not mean that once President he will go painting the White House black and be only for black people. It means that he can give this country a point of view that it has never had the opportunity to see before. For some they may just not be ready to see that point of view and even though folks won’t come out and admit it, race will be a factor in November’s election for some. The republicans will play on that just to win votes, they wont do it directly but I guarantee they use it.

June 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. Maggie Muggins

You can't blame the Republicans for using scare tactics as they have to do something to try and win in November. Look at their current position in the Presidential race:
    Their candidate would be 72 years old when taking office.
    Their candidate knows nothing about economics.
    Their candidate wants to continue with invasions and war.
    Their candidate appears tired and confused in his speeches.
    Their candidate advocates giving oil companies greater tax breaks.
    Their candidate wanted to borrow money for a useless gas tax holiday.
    When their candidate opens his mouth it is usually only to change his feet.
    Their candidate ccontinually bad mouths other foreign nations in the news media thinking this boosts his image with the uninformed.
    Their candidate opposed giving veterans full GI benefits after their first tours of duty to blackmailing them into relisting.
    There are a lot more things they have to cover up but I am getting tired of typing.

June 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  12. Time to move on

OBAMA Obviously is going to be the next President come Jan 2009.Republican and Maccain has failed and lost the plot.Americans are wiser than your blackmail and fearmongering.
    The stakes are high,people cannot be decieved this time around
    OBAMA ALL THE WAY,NOTHING STOPS THE WORK OF GOD.
    GOD BLESS OBAMA,GOD BLESS AMERICA

June 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  13. mary

With regard to the obama Michelle story, I believe that the criticism
    is unfounded and unjust. Michelle and barrack are fine loyal Americans and are unjustly accused propaganda and and is purposely giving the Republicans ammunition in the November election. drop it!

June 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  14. JJ

With Bush's favorable rating the lowest in history for a President (28%) and with McCain constantly siding with Bush's failed policy and being hooked up with Bush, McCain and his camp have nothing to debate Obama on so this is their last resort. Go ahead and try and cast them as "scary" and see where that gets you. Not in the White House!

June 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  15. Eleanor

Too bad miss high and mighty Cindy MCSame is off limits for the media!!!!
    I will take Michelle Obama any day over her
    at least Michelle is*real and down to earth*
    Personally I though Cindys snobbish remarks against michelles
    little blunder were ignorant
    Lets wait and see if Cindy blunders are so dwelled on in the media
    probably not!!!

June 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  16. bernard, macon, ga.

You know the repub probably are running scared themselves. Heaven forbid a black man gets into the white house and does a better job than the last so called president. It amazes me how anyone who has any brains at all would cast a vote for McInsane and his repub oil drenched friends. While we pay astronomical prices for gas at the pump they what us to actually spend time wondering if Obama is patriotic enough. Give me a break! Watch out for the slight of hands America, here it comes, they got you watching one hand while the other hand reaches deeper into you pocket. Also be careful of repub out here blogging posing as upset Hillary voters, they simlpy want to stir up the anger and divide or party. Not this time, our time has come and we won't miss it !!!!!

June 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |