June 13th, 2008

Obama, McCain react to Russert death

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Barack Obama and John McCain both expressed sadness Friday over the death of NBC journalist Tim Russert.

Speaking to reporters in Washington, McCain called Russert a man of "honesty and integrity."

WATCH: McCain comment on Russert

“He was hard but he was always fair. We miss him," McCain said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And we know that Tim Russert leaves a legacy of the highest level of integrity, of the highest level of journalism, and we miss him and we'll miss him a lot. Again he was hard, he was fair, he was at the top of his profession. He loved his country. He loved the Buffalo Bills and most of all he loved his family.”

In Columbus, Ohio, Obama said Russert was "one of the finest men I knew."

WATCH: Obama comment on Russert

"I’ve known Tim Russert since I first spoke at the convention in 2004. He's somebody who overtime I came to consider not only a journalist but a friend," Obama said. "There wasn’t a better interviewer in TV, not a more thoughtful analyst of our politics, and he was also one of the finest men I knew. Somebody who cared about America, cared about the issues, cared about family.

"I am grief stricken with the loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And I hope that even though Tim is irreplaceable that the standard that he set in his professional life and his family life are standards that we all carry with us in our own lives," he also said.

More: Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. w.l. jones

Be it may Mr. Tim Russert were a joint among men and a journalism in political commentary that I injoyed wacthing. My condolences go out to his family.

June 13, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  2. Tom in CA

It's unbelevieble that there are so many morons! To think that they can't think for themselves!

Tim we love you! God Bless!

Peace be with you and you're family! Big Russ – we love you!

June 13, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  3. KeN in NC

Tim Russert will be missed. I watch him on Meet The Press all the time and in the campaign this year. He was a great Journalist. He is one of the few I truly admire.

June 13, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  4. Mr. Smith

A regular face in news for me will certainly be missed. I'm shocked.
    Condolences to his family and co-workers.

June 13, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  5. Faithe Sigh

I am so sad today! My prayers are with the family.

June 13, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  6. Frank H Glendale, Ca

Wow.. what a loss to everyone... Nobody asked a question like tim and I will miss watching and hearing the questions.

He will be missed! All the best to his family during this trying time.

June 13, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. Nafiadi

RIP

June 13, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  8. white 49 yr old woman for Obama

May God bless his soul and bless his family, friends, olleagues and the Americans that love him. We will miss him greatly. He was so respectful, s intelligent and so unique. He was the most down to earth, tough anf fair journalist. I personally will miss Tim Russert and will pray for his soul to be at peace. My condolences to his family and friends!

June 13, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  9. Alice in Florida

I don't know – Obama didn't seem too sincere in his regrets – he just seemed to me like he thought it was "politically expedient" to seem to be sorrowful

Then again – that's Obama – do the "politically expedient" thing at all times – a TRUE politician!

June 13, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  10. Kim, Dallas, TX

What a huge loss for all of us. I grew to admire Tim Russert. Every Sunday morning I made sure to watch his show. He was always so upbeat, fair, open, and thorough with those on his show. I can't imagine Meet The Press to even be close to the show it once was. This is such a sad day. How unfortunate for it to happen so close to Father's Day when he so obviously cherished his father and wrote a book for him. TIM RUSSERT, YOU WILL BE MISSED. I appreciated your honesty and reputation. I am sure you will be a role model for future journalists to aspire to.

June 13, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  11. Tom, Boston MA

he was a loyal soldier for the corporate media. woopdeedoo!

June 13, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  12. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

My Prayers In Out To The Family.

June 13, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  13. joey

What a blow.

I hope this forum does not close to early. i would like to see what everybody thinks about this.

I haven't really watched politics for a long time only a few years but this guy is a giant. I always admire the way he is able to ask the tough questions if a half smile type of way that only he can do... making the people he is interviewing feel comfortable but at the same time holding politicians accountable.

I am in shocked.

June 13, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  14. Chris from Delmar

As the son of a newspaperman, Tim Russert struck me as sort of a "throwback" to a previous era. Yes, he was adept with cable and network news, along with the internet, but his style was more that of a journalist. He paid serious attention to what people said in the past, as opposed to what they are saying now. He really paid attention to detail – he was a "digger" of information, of the trains of thought that people hold. He is going to be missed.

June 13, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  15. Connie

I believe at this time those nasty comments have no place.Whom ever we choose to support has no place on this blog. This is about Tim Russert and his family.I attend church on Sunday morning , but in my area Meet the Press was on at 6;00pm and I never missed it.My thoughts and Prayer are with Mr.Russert's family and friends. I am praying that his show will go on in his memory, as I think he would like.God Bless and love to his family.

Connie from Indiana

June 13, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  16. Alex in SD

McCain appeared sincere and heartfelt? He repeated twice that this great man was "tough but fair" and basically gave a fill in the blank condolance. That being said, I still believe Sen. McCain was indeed sincere but for you to make that kind of judgement and then compare it to Obama's remarks by saying "he appeared to have his head down"? Give me a break. Obama spoke of personal memories and how Russert affected our nation in a positive light. To frown upon either of their remarks as not being good enough is sick. Do not make this political. An great journalist and an honorable man lost his life today.

June 13, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  17. GUY

Anyone notice the difference between McCain's comments and Obama's?

June 13, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  18. Go Barak and Michelle Obama!

wherever you r Russ ...get the scoop man and rest in peace

June 13, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  19. Latina for obama

Dear Mr. Tim
    may you be in a better place, i came to know you more and more via this election,
    you were out there asking questions, making us ask questions,

I am shocked, stricken by sadness, i just had heard him............each sunday I got up and wanted to see his meet the press..........

it is hard to swallow these are sad news.. it is a loss for us..
    i am saddened and may his family have all the strentght to go on.'

blessings and remember the good work he has done will pay off, and so his family wll be blessed..

I am very very saddened by this............

June 13, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  20. Tom, Boston MA

and i am NOT mccain supporter. far from it.

June 13, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  21. geoffgw

In a world of complete airheads like Bill O'Reilly and Lou Dobbs, Tim Russert was the best! Come to think of it, he was the best whether the others exist or not. It will be so sad not to hear his voice anymore this political season. Rest in peace, dear Tim!

June 13, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  22. Go Barak and Michelle Obama!

what the devil does McCain and Obama have to do with this? Geez...give is a rest hate-bloggers! lend respect to the occasion for once!

June 13, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  23. Akins

My goodness! I hope to wake up tomorrow and find out its all a bad bad dream. Definately a legend in his field that will be missed by all

June 13, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  24. A GREAT MAN !

MARCY ......................................stay away from Obama...............................
    HOW could take a moment like this to attack...................Mr Russet was like family to everyone,he will be missed....TO the Russet Family may your memories bring you comfort .

June 13, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |