June 13th, 2008

Obama, McCain react to Russert death

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Barack Obama and John McCain both expressed sadness Friday over the death of NBC journalist Tim Russert.

Speaking to reporters in Washington, McCain called Russert a man of "honesty and integrity."

WATCH: McCain comment on Russert

“He was hard but he was always fair. We miss him," McCain said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And we know that Tim Russert leaves a legacy of the highest level of integrity, of the highest level of journalism, and we miss him and we'll miss him a lot. Again he was hard, he was fair, he was at the top of his profession. He loved his country. He loved the Buffalo Bills and most of all he loved his family.”

In Columbus, Ohio, Obama said Russert was "one of the finest men I knew."

WATCH: Obama comment on Russert

"I’ve known Tim Russert since I first spoke at the convention in 2004. He's somebody who overtime I came to consider not only a journalist but a friend," Obama said. "There wasn’t a better interviewer in TV, not a more thoughtful analyst of our politics, and he was also one of the finest men I knew. Somebody who cared about America, cared about the issues, cared about family.

"I am grief stricken with the loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And I hope that even though Tim is irreplaceable that the standard that he set in his professional life and his family life are standards that we all carry with us in our own lives," he also said.

More: Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. No More Clintons, CA

A highly respected journalist will be greatly missed! Thank you for your services, Tim.

Rest in peace!

June 13, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. Anita from Arizona

Well said Senator Obama and Senator McCain. Well said.

June 13, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  3. CJV

Did anyone in his office know CPR? Was there access to an AED? Terrible news.

June 13, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. mobile251ala

rip russ. my prays are with you and your family. i will truly miss you telling the truth.

June 13, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. Enlightened Voter

I will not denegrate this man's memory by saying anything bad about mcwar. Nice, thoughtful words from Obama though. Tim was an honest and fair journalist and I will miss his sunday show bad because George S. turned me off the way he treated Obama during the debate and I can't stand the sight of him.

June 13, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  6. SamSunny

America has lost a true gentleman today. This was not just a political pundit or news broadcaster. This was American institution in the broad spectrum, and almost a family friend in the personal every day American home. My heart is saddened and will not soon heal. The heavens have welcomed home a fine individual who will be sorely missed for a long time.

June 13, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  7. Hello!!!

wow
    TED KENNEDY.....brain tumor......
    IOWA.........Record FLOODING across the state......
    TIM RUSSERT.....heart attack.....
    If I had anything to do with turning my back on Hillary, I'd be worried.
    Freaky, isn't it??????????? Does the big guy "upstairs" think something went wrong???????

June 13, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. Cynthia

My heart goes out the Mr. Russert's family, his NBC and MSNBC families. I always watched his show each Sunday and thought the he was always fair and did a really good job at interviewing those who came on his show.

June 13, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. Timothy

Tim will be greatly missed. My heart and prayers go out to his family.

June 13, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  10. Larry Buchas

The words expressed by both Senators McCain and Obama are comforting. Tim Russert was the best of the current crop of journalists. He was a pleasure to watch each and every Sunday.

Tim, we will miss you. I extend my prayers and deepest condolences to his family and all at NBC.

June 13, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  11. Nat

RIP TIM..YOU'll be missed greatly. My deepest condolonces to his family!

June 13, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  12. Josie WA

I can't believe the Hillary supporters how are saying spiteful things about Tim at a time like this. As Hillary would say SHAME ON YOU!

June 13, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  13. Honestly

I am just stunned!

God bless you Tim!

June 13, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. Albert, Pennsylvania

Rest in peace, Tim. We'll miss you.

June 13, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  15. Chris Abate

RIP Tim Russert.

How I wish it was Rush Limbaugh or Howard Stern who died instead of you.

June 13, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. New Day

I'm glad they both had nice things to say. I will miss him.

June 13, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  17. efrem butler

I really like Tim Russert, He was one of the finest journalist I've knew, My heart goes out to his family. He will be deeply missed

June 13, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  18. IndyVoter

Good Bye and Rest in Peace Tim! You were firm but fair. You Will Be Missed!

June 13, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  19. David Goldman for OBAMA

A GREAT LOSS FOR THE TRUTH.

AND IN THAT FOR ALL OF US.

OUR DEEPEST HEART FELT CONDOLENCES TO HIS

FAMILY, FRIENDS, & THOSE OF US THAT GREATLY

APPRECIATED HIS TURN BACK TO HONESTY, & FAIRNESS

IN JOURNALISM.

THE PROFESSION & WE WILL DEEPLY FEEL THE VOID.

June 13, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  20. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Tim was the best in the world at what he did. How sad that his great career and his life were cut short. We are all better for having had Tim Russert share his life and career with us.

June 13, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  21. STILL FOR HILL

I'm sure there will be all kinds of well wishers from the Obama-nation.

I would like to give my best wishes for his family.

This kind of thing makes you think about health care in America. My grandmother, who is on Social Security, has battled colon cancer for the last 3 years. My grandparents spent their entire life savings to get her better.

I am raising four nieces. Two of which, I cannot afford health insurance for.

I hate it that I will have to vote John McCain, b/c I really am a democrat.

So many reasons, but I won't because this election was rigged...

I am PUMA baby, and there's lots of us... And yes, we will vote McCain in the fall...

PUMAs for fair elections... PUMAs for democracy...

and don't give me the DNC was fair... How could someone who's name is not on the ballot in MI be awarded anything?

June 13, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  22. Jon, Somewhere, MI

Man, this is just awful. Russert, by all accounts, was a good man and a great reporter. The news media as a whole is diminished by his loss.

June 13, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  23. B&B in Nevada

What a loss...may he rest in peace...

June 13, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  24. Kenny in NC

Tim Russert will be missed> I watch him on Meet The Press all the time and in the campaign this year. He was a great Journalist. He is one of the few I truly admire.

Kenny in NC

June 13, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  25. Dusacre

I like Tim Russert. He is wonderful.god bless you and keep you my fiend.

June 13, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |