June 13th, 2008

Obama, McCain react to Russert death

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Barack Obama and John McCain both expressed sadness Friday over the death of NBC journalist Tim Russert.

Speaking to reporters in Washington, McCain called Russert a man of "honesty and integrity."

WATCH: McCain comment on Russert

“He was hard but he was always fair. We miss him," McCain said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And we know that Tim Russert leaves a legacy of the highest level of integrity, of the highest level of journalism, and we miss him and we'll miss him a lot. Again he was hard, he was fair, he was at the top of his profession. He loved his country. He loved the Buffalo Bills and most of all he loved his family.”

In Columbus, Ohio, Obama said Russert was "one of the finest men I knew."

WATCH: Obama comment on Russert

"I’ve known Tim Russert since I first spoke at the convention in 2004. He's somebody who overtime I came to consider not only a journalist but a friend," Obama said. "There wasn’t a better interviewer in TV, not a more thoughtful analyst of our politics, and he was also one of the finest men I knew. Somebody who cared about America, cared about the issues, cared about family.

"I am grief stricken with the loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And I hope that even though Tim is irreplaceable that the standard that he set in his professional life and his family life are standards that we all carry with us in our own lives," he also said.

More: Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. B.M.

How can McCain spin this into an attack on Obama?

That being said,Tim Russert was indeed a great man,and one of the last few good journalists in this country,a man who put aside his own politics to do his job.The rest of the press Corp should take a page from his book.He will be sorely missed.I wish the best for his family

June 13, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  2. Lawrence for barack

wow thats hard to deal with even for me

June 13, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  3. Dan-Virginia

Everyone has commented on Russert's death. So has McCain. Why aren't all of the reactions up here?

The journalistic world is worse off today for the lost of Mr. Russert. He was a brilliant journalist and one of the last objective journalists out there. We will all miss him.

June 13, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  4. 58 old white ladies for OBAMA

OUR HEARTS GO OUT TO MR. TIM RUSSERT'S FAMILY

AND FRIENDS. WE KNOW HE WAS A GREAT JOURNALIST

AND, MORE IMPORTANTLY, A GREAT HUMAN BEING.

WE WILL MISS HIP TERRIBLY.

June 13, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  5. Angel for Obama

Both candidates said honest things about this remarkable MTP and political analysts. Tim Russert was a great man.

In our prayers

June 13, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  6. SAD

NOOO I can't believe he died!! Tim was awesome journalist who care so much about his family... I'm in shockedddd!! I'm going to miss you TIM, my heart is broken :-(... My prayers are with your family and friends... God Bless you always... :-(

June 13, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  7. I'll miss you Tim

I watch Meet the Press every Sunday. This man was the best of the best. He was always professional and unbiased. His reports were always straight forward and tough but he was good-natured at the same time.

God bless his family. He will be missed.

June 13, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  8. iyke- niagara falls, Ontario

Tim, may your gentle soul rest in peace with the good lord. my heart goes to the family, friends and the Buffalo bills.
    Iyke , niagara falls, Canada

June 13, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  9. RONNIE

Tim,you will be missed! You were the only thing good about MSNBC and it is sad God in all his glory didn't take Keith Olbermann instead!

June 13, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  10. Carmen Chimento

I ran as a very minor candidate for President in 1996 to stress the need to fix Social Security and had printed phoney seven-dollar bills. I briefly met Tim in a hotel lobby where he made himself available to the general public. I offered him a phoney seven dollar bill and told him to get himself a hamburger and coke at MacDonalds with it.

"I'm sorry" he said, "i cannot accept money"

I gave him a closer look at it, he smiled, and put it in his pocket.

He was an adult, but he had a child's innocent spirit, and I know that is what God love about him.

Requiescat in pace.

Carmen C. Chimento

June 13, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  11. jaye

Tim Russert is the best of the best. He will be sorely missed by all who desire true journalism.
    Godspeed and God Bless.

June 13, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  12. Brad Gibson (Batavia, IL)

I just recently started watching Meet the Press every week and looked forward to it. I will miss his civil exchanges. We will miss you Tim!

June 13, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  13. Ronne

My husband and I will miss Tim so much. We never missed an episode of Meet the Press. Our thoughts and Prayers are with his family, friends and collegues.

He was one of God's disciples on this earth.

Good by Tim. You are in Heaven looking down on the many people lives you touched.

June 13, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  14. Eric

Tim you will be missed. You were one of the best i've ever seen. RIP. Anybody know what happened to him? He was young.

June 13, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  15. morgan

Notice how McCain says "He" and Obama says "I".

June 13, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  16. I've been blacklisted

Good for both candidates.

June 13, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  17. Sheryl

When I didn't go to church, I would watch Meet The Press, and feel energized. I'll miss you Tim Russert.

June 13, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  18. Aaron

Of all the journalist, he was the most fair. God bless his soul, God bless his wife and son. He will be missed.

June 13, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  19. IW

I am so sorry to here about (TIM) He is my favorite news reporter. I admire him so much. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family, and the NBC/MSNBC family. He will be greatly missed. One of a kind!!! (GOD BLESS YOU TIM!!) our heavenly reporter now.

June 13, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  20. True

Thanks Tim! We'll see you in the Big White House in the sky!

June 13, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  21. Marie

Sen McCain made a very sincere and heartfelt statement regarding Tim Russert.
    Sen Obama appeared to be insincere. He seemed to constantly look downward as he proclaimed his friendship with Mr. Russert.

Our sincere thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Russert's family.

June 13, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  22. abby

MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE. THIS IS A MAN I WILL MISS SO MUCH, WATCHING HIS SHOW THIS LAST WEEK SUNDAY MEANS SO MUCH, HE GATHER EVERYBODY TOGETHER AS IF HE HAD KNOWN!!!!!
    THIS IS VERY SAD AND MY PRAYER GOES TO HIS FAMILY.

June 13, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  23. Dr. Lakshmi Bandlamudi

I am both shocked and saddened by Tim Russert's sudden death. It is not Saturday if I don't watch Tim Russert – it was an education in the latest book, or a significant event and of course if it is Sunday it is Meet the Press. My activity on Sunday revolves around this show to get the latest on politics. I have the highest regard for him as a journalist. As an interviewer he was tough, demanding and yet fair. He had such an endearing personality, such a fine father, a great son. My heart goes out for Big Russ who all of us came to love through Tim's book. His voice spoke to my conscience with so much insight, dedication and integrity. He will be missed. I don't know how I would rearrange my Sunday morning. Good Bye Tim. I would miss you for a very long time.
    With deep admiration,
    Lakshmi.

June 13, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  24. LUCYNA

Tim Russert was the best....people like him are few and between. I will miss him deeply. "Meet the Press" will never going to be the same without Tim Rssert.

June 13, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  25. Helen

My heart is so heavy. Tim Russert was definitely one of the good ones. My heart goes out to his family.

Tim's reporting was fair during the primary election. I only regret that he was unable to witness the results of his hard work this election. I know in the event Sen Obama does become the first African American President, Tim would have loved to witness this historical moment in history.

This is truly our lost.