June 13th, 2008

Obama, McCain react to Russert death

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Barack Obama and John McCain both expressed sadness Friday over the death of NBC journalist Tim Russert.

Speaking to reporters in Washington, McCain called Russert a man of "honesty and integrity."

WATCH: McCain comment on Russert

“He was hard but he was always fair. We miss him," McCain said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And we know that Tim Russert leaves a legacy of the highest level of integrity, of the highest level of journalism, and we miss him and we'll miss him a lot. Again he was hard, he was fair, he was at the top of his profession. He loved his country. He loved the Buffalo Bills and most of all he loved his family.”

In Columbus, Ohio, Obama said Russert was "one of the finest men I knew."

WATCH: Obama comment on Russert

"I’ve known Tim Russert since I first spoke at the convention in 2004. He's somebody who overtime I came to consider not only a journalist but a friend," Obama said. "There wasn’t a better interviewer in TV, not a more thoughtful analyst of our politics, and he was also one of the finest men I knew. Somebody who cared about America, cared about the issues, cared about family.

"I am grief stricken with the loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And I hope that even though Tim is irreplaceable that the standard that he set in his professional life and his family life are standards that we all carry with us in our own lives," he also said.

More: Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. California Girl

I'm saddened and shocked! Mr. Russert was part of our family every Sunday morning to watch Meet the Press. I'm just so sad. I give my sincere condolences to his family. This is HUGE loss.

June 13, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. California Girl

I'm saddened and shocked! Mr. Russert was part of our family every Sunday morning to watch Meet the Press. I'm just so sad. I give my sincere condolences to his family. This is a HUGE loss.

June 13, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  3. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

what do we say
    we are all grief stricken. he was a good man and commentater
    we will miss hima nd god be with his family

June 13, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  4. Sheri

Mr. Russert you were the best, and so are you Mr. Obama. You both have something important in common and that is your LOVE for family.

Mr. Russert we will miss you.

June 13, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  5. Jeff

One of the reasons why I got excited about this year's election was Tim Russert. His Meet the Press shows on Sundays always kept me informed with well-balanced Q/A sessions lasting over 20 minutes w/o commercial breaks. Watching him over the past few years gave me the feeling like I've known him.

He was one of the nicest, toughest, and fairest people in politics and in Washington, and I will deeply miss him and his unwavering enthusiasm for our country and our government.

Our country has lost a great American well before his time. We will all miss him.

June 13, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  6. Michael

I am saddened by his death, but he stepped beyond the bounds when it came to his "friend" Obama. Russert showed a bias towards Obama that was not professional, and to Hillary Clinton, he was simply cruel.

June 13, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. Heidi

I can't stop crying. Sometimes death informs you that its coming but in Tim's case we didn't see this one.

I wonder what he would have done differently had he known. Probably nothing differently. He appeared to have enjoyed every day, and every moment of his life to the fullest.

Tim thank you for being an EXAMPLE. I admired you so much and even more this primary season.

Heidi-NC

June 13, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. Kay, Georgia

Tim will be truly missed. While in Church on sunday, I always have my tivo ready to record bothl, Meet the Press, and then the Situation Room. He will be truly missed.

June 13, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  9. marcy

stay away from Obama

June 13, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. ObamaYes We Can

This was one wonderfull guy Oh my goodness how much we will all miss hime dearly .
    He was a favorite every time he was on,truthfull ,fair ,honest ,wise, Fun.,kind and just the person you not only loved to hear ,watch was one that would have loved to have known and felt as a friend though never met him.
    He touched the world everywhere he went and last debate he anchored was how I will remember him was the best one we viewed.
    My heart goes out to his family he loved so very much as he mentiond them often /Am glad he got one last time with his Son and to see him graduate.
    Rest in Peace dear one with all our thoughts going to your family .

June 13, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  11. Loose Rational

I am heart broken. I don't think I can hold the tears back much longer.

A sore day indeed, may he live forever in our memories amongst the greats of his profession.

In the halls where true nobility and virtue of spirit live forever.

June 13, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  12. christy from pa

Wow, McCain really has nothing to say even at a time like this.

June 13, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  13. For Tim Russert

Rest in Peace with all our thoughts going to your family .

June 13, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. Frequent Listener to your opinions

The elections will not be the same without you, Tim.. We will really miss your expertiese regarding politics and your whiteboard.. You made it all clear and didn't need the magical map to do it !!!!!
    God bless your family!!! Our hearts are heavy, I can't imagion how hard this will be for them......

June 13, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. For Tim Russert

This was one wonderfull guy Oh my goodness how much we will all miss hime .
    Rest in Peace with all our thoughts going to your family .

June 13, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  16. Mariann Pepitone

I am shocked to hear that Tim Russert died at the age of 58. He was well respected as a news host for NBC and the debates. It hasn't been stated what he died of but it appears to be a heart attack if he collapsed while getting reading to host Meet The Press and the hospital couldn't revive him.That's very sad that he didn't get a chance in life to reach retirement age. We never know what's ahead of us when we walk out that door in the morning. My thoughts go out to his entire family.

June 13, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. White folks please coming from a white man

Sad Day. Tim Russert was a fair guy, and I always watched meet the press. My prayers go out to his family

June 13, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  18. Will smith

My condolence goes to his family. I did not know him personally, but over the years that i have been watching "meet the press" on sunday seem as if I grown to know him. I was away during the political season from US, every sunday I can't wait to watch Tim Russert on Sunday online. I got my political news from "meet the press" on sunday. A good, nice and fair minded man. We will miss you. God bless your soul. Adieu

June 13, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  19. Susan

This is indeed a very sad day. My prayers and thoughts are with his family.

June 13, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  20. Texas Trail Dog

Rep. Dan Boren is a very wise and intelligent man. I AM WHITE AN A HILLARY SUPPORTER AND A 51-YEAR VETERAN OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY.
    Also a 28-year Veteran of the U.S. Army.

THE ONLY WAY I WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA IS IF HILLARY OR GENERAL COLIN POWELL IS ON THE TICKET AS VP.

Someone has to be there who has gumption. It certainly is not Obama.

HOWEVER, I KNOW THIS WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE HILLARY OR GEN. POWELL WILL NOT ACCEPT FOR THEY DO NOT WISH THEIR NAME LINKED WITH SUCH A FAILURE AND LYING BIGOT.

June 13, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  21. MICKEY FROM ATLANTA

He was just a great man!!!!

June 13, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  22. racheal,boston

My sundays will not be the same again. My politics will not be the same again. Which other objective journalist left other that Tim.
    All be well with his family.

June 13, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  23. Connie of NJ

My condolence and prays go out to the Russert family. I will miss Tim and his wonderful smile.

June 13, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  24. Texas Trail Dog

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR THE ABOVE REMARK IT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ON THE SAME PAGE AS THIS SAD EVENT. I HAVE THE UPPERMOST RESPECT FOR THIS MAN, TIM RUSSERT. MY CONDOLENCES GO TO HIS FAMILY. THIS IS A SAD DAY.

(CNN please if you will remove my previous remarks)

June 13, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  25. Crush Rush

He will be missed by many and led by example.Fair to a fault at times.They say its always the good ones that go while scum like Limbaugh stay.

June 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |