June 13th, 2008

Obama, McCain react to Russert death

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Barack Obama and John McCain both expressed sadness Friday over the death of NBC journalist Tim Russert.

Speaking to reporters in Washington, McCain called Russert a man of "honesty and integrity."

WATCH: McCain comment on Russert

“He was hard but he was always fair. We miss him," McCain said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And we know that Tim Russert leaves a legacy of the highest level of integrity, of the highest level of journalism, and we miss him and we'll miss him a lot. Again he was hard, he was fair, he was at the top of his profession. He loved his country. He loved the Buffalo Bills and most of all he loved his family.”

In Columbus, Ohio, Obama said Russert was "one of the finest men I knew."

WATCH: Obama comment on Russert

"I’ve known Tim Russert since I first spoke at the convention in 2004. He's somebody who overtime I came to consider not only a journalist but a friend," Obama said. "There wasn’t a better interviewer in TV, not a more thoughtful analyst of our politics, and he was also one of the finest men I knew. Somebody who cared about America, cared about the issues, cared about family.

"I am grief stricken with the loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And I hope that even though Tim is irreplaceable that the standard that he set in his professional life and his family life are standards that we all carry with us in our own lives," he also said.

More: Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Bobbi

The people using this terrible tragedy to smear either presidential candidate are simply disgraceful. Please, have some respect.

May God bless Tim's family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

June 13, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  2. Dave, denver co

Hey Marie, did you notice that Mccain said the same thing twice, as if he has the memory of a goldfish. Is that what you people really want in a leader, a man who has been "talkin straight" since the louisiana purchase? Don't be weird. Please print this CNN. We need this sort of dialogue.

June 13, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  3. For Tim Russert

Well Marie If I wasn't looking down in sadness I was feeling like it why would you print such an off comment ?

June 13, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  4. Dennis C Veteran in Texas

A great man had been lost to this nation, he has always been someone who give each individual the chance to state their veiw. May God bless Mr. Russert, and for all of the other who wish to bring in the political side, remember that this about the man and not about others

June 13, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  5. Abroo

Tim you were a family member.Our hearts ache.You were a vital part of USA .We will miss you! I hope wherever you are you can see how much you were loved.

June 13, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  6. Monica for Obama in Indiana

I will miss Tim very much as 'Meet the Press' is one of my favorite Sunday Show.

Prayers to his family, friends and co-workers at this sad and drastic time in their lifes.

Tim, left a great legacy and inspiration through the journalism, he practiced.

June 13, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  7. Tjaye in LA

I can honestly cry right now. I have been a fan of his since the dry marker board election for Gore. He was one political reporter whom NO ONE could accuse of being partial.

I actually go to the late morning service at church just because I want to see Meet the Press. I genuinely am a fan.

Bless his soul and keep his family.

June 13, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  8. Sorry for our loss

My condolences to his family. He will be missed by many

Rest In Peace Tim

June 13, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  9. A Fan, from Germany

I cann't believe his' gone......forever...hmmm...
    Irreplaceable.....will be sorely missed.
    Rest in peace. My heart goes out to his family...
    comfort them Almighty God: in Jesus' name!

June 13, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  10. David

he will be missed. A true American Icon!

June 13, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  11. Steve , Niagara Falls, Canada

I am still in shock. Tim Russett was perhaps the most fair minded political commentator on TV. Throughout the presidential primaries, I always looked forward to hearing his analysis and take on issues. Oh, this is too much. May God grant his soul eternal rest. And to his family, God's peace at this very very difficult moment.

June 13, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  12. Richard, FL

What a terrible shame! He brought integrity to news coverage unlike O'Reilly's lack of morals or Limbaugh's manipulation of his mindless supporters who believe our troops are dying or being maimed so that they can subvert democracy by voting for people they oppose.

June 13, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  13. Obama Supporter from Columbus,Oh

I am deeply hurt by the loss of Tim Russert. He was a remarkable journalist, anchor and interviewer. My family and I enjoyed watching him give his political analysis of the Democratic primaries along with all of the wonderful commentaries and interviews he did in his typical "Russert" style.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Thanks Tim and May God rest your soul!

June 13, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  14. AUC

My heart goes out to the Russert family. Tim was one of the "good" guys in his journalistic reporting. I may not have agreed with all of his comments but, above all he was fair and objective. Wow..... God bless you Luke. My Dad is in heaven too and he too was a fan of your dad. This election will not be the same. Take your rest Tim. You made your mark, an everlasting one here and we'll never forget you!!

May God keep your family safe and give you peace!

June 13, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  15. Eric

Will definitely be missed, God bless you and your family. Rest In Peace!

June 13, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  16. Verna Mckain

I love Tim Russert. I am still in Shock. I am going to MISS HIS HONESTY AND THE INTEGRITY HE BRING TO POLITICS AND THE COUNTRY.

TIM I WILL MISS U " TEARS! TEARS!

June 13, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  17. curtis

He will truly be missed and his news network will struggle without him.

June 13, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  18. A.J

May he rest in peace. Our condolences to his family

June 13, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  19. Women In California for Obama

He was SIMPLY THE BEST. MSNBC and NBC you will never be able to replace him.

Thanks Mr. Russert for the memories.

June 13, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  20. HILLARY WAS FORCED OUT BY SEXISM!!!

YES, IT IS A SAD DAY.

MR. RUSSERT WAS PRETTY MEAN TO HILLARY MOST OF THE TIME!

SO I HADN'T WATCHED HIS SHOW LATELY!

AND NO, I AM NOT A McCAIN SUPPORTER OR AN OBAMA SUPPORTER.

June 13, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  21. By the way . . .

The Obam "Fightthesmears.com" site is most unimpressive. I just posted a question to this site, and I'm looking forward to a response:

Obama , in Chicago (google it yourselves!):
    • Was part of the ACORN community organizing network
    • Its principles are based on the teachings of Saul Alinsky
    • Alinsky wrote about it in two books - Reveille for Radicals and Rules for Radicals.
    • Alinsky’s principles are deeply unethical
    • He teaches, for example, that in politics, the ends justify the means, to seek political power by any means
    • Alinsky taught that” worldly power has two forms – money and people
    • Alinsky taught that the organizer’s rule is to “follow the money” is to be taken seriously.
    • Where do the Alinskyian networks get their people and money?
    • The answer is that they get people and money from religious institutions.
    • They teach that institutions must be “evangelized” into “liberationist theory”
    • Before going off to law school in the early 90s, Obama directed ACORN’s partner organization, Project Vote.
    • Meeting with ACORN leaders in November, he said, “I've been fighting alongside ACORN on issues you care about my entire career.
    • Obama unabashedly explained how he became “churched” in a 2007 speech:
    • “ Some pastors I was working with came around and asked if I was a member of a church.”
    • "If you're organizing churches," they said, "it might be helpful if you went to a church once in a while.”
    • And I [Obama] thought, "I guess that makes sense."

I find this extemely scary. But I also know that this is too complicated for most people to even consider It'

June 13, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  22. Justice League

Gone at 58. Think about that for a minute. It can end suddenly, just like that with no hope of revival. We saw this before when John Ritter died suddenly a couple of years ago, and he was in his 50s too. I'm pretty sure he had a good health care plan, and visited his doctor regularly. He didn't have cancer, or COPD or high cholesterol, or any of those things, he just flicked off like a switch. This just goes to show that it can happen to any of us at any time, and we're all not as immortal as we think we are. I will personally miss Tim Russert and his intriguing dialogue he gave us. And I thank him for the abundance of charity he has given his fellow Americans over the years. He was a one-of-a-kind journalist, and we will all miss him dearly. I pray to God that He will help Tim's family see through these difficult times and remember what a good son, father, journalist, man he was.

June 13, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  23. Paul

This man was one of the greatest "news" men in the history of our country. He will live on in spirit through his lovely wife and son. Please give him the respect of considering his family before you make some political rant about McCain or Obama.

USA- 08',12',16', 20' 24'....and forever.

June 13, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  24. Bob

condolence to his family. may his soul rest in peace

June 13, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  25. Susan

The journalism world was a better place with you in it, Tim Russert. God speed your soul to a wondrous place. You shall be missed.
    Tim and Peter (Jennings) and Bill (Bradley) were three of my favorite journalist to watch. They are cannot be replaced.

June 13, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |