June 13th, 2008

Obama, McCain react to Russert death

NBC News' Tim Russert.
NBC News' Tim Russert.

(CNN) - Barack Obama and John McCain both expressed sadness Friday over the death of NBC journalist Tim Russert.

Speaking to reporters in Washington, McCain called Russert a man of "honesty and integrity."

WATCH: McCain comment on Russert

“He was hard but he was always fair. We miss him," McCain said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And we know that Tim Russert leaves a legacy of the highest level of integrity, of the highest level of journalism, and we miss him and we'll miss him a lot. Again he was hard, he was fair, he was at the top of his profession. He loved his country. He loved the Buffalo Bills and most of all he loved his family.”

In Columbus, Ohio, Obama said Russert was "one of the finest men I knew."

WATCH: Obama comment on Russert

"I’ve known Tim Russert since I first spoke at the convention in 2004. He's somebody who overtime I came to consider not only a journalist but a friend," Obama said. "There wasn’t a better interviewer in TV, not a more thoughtful analyst of our politics, and he was also one of the finest men I knew. Somebody who cared about America, cared about the issues, cared about family.

"I am grief stricken with the loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. And I hope that even though Tim is irreplaceable that the standard that he set in his professional life and his family life are standards that we all carry with us in our own lives," he also said.

More: Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Carolyn T. NJ

I will realy miss seeing him on Meet the Press. My deepest sympathy to his wife, son, father, family and colleagues.

June 13, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  2. Posn

My prayers and thoughts are with Tim Russert and his family.

June 13, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  3. Don

God has called one of his angels home.......A fair and honest individuals has been lost to us, but gained to Heaven.....May God comfort his family and those of us who, based on his service to us, feel like he was our friend........I wish you God's Peace Mr. Russert......

June 13, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  4. Alan Boyer

This is very sad. My 15-year-old daughter and I always watch Meet the Press. God likes nice things, too!

June 13, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  5. Caryle in Oregon

People this is not a time to be disrespectful to either of the candidates and / or their responses. I will miss this part of my Sunday morning line up. Tim, rest in peace and Thank you for all that you have given us viewers. My thoughts are with your family and close friends.........

June 13, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  6. Reality

Obama had the better response !! Much more sincere then McCains response.

June 13, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  7. Justice

Big Tim! What a giant you were. You graced us all with you humanity. You voice will be missed every Sunday morning. Rest in peace.

June 13, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  8. Missed

Russert will be missed. He was one of the few, truly objective on reporting the news and searching for truth.

Hopefully others will try to work to his standards.

June 13, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  9. Proud American

Rest in Peace Tim. You were great at what you did.

June 13, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  10. Susan/PA

Marie..........maybe Sen Obama looked down because he is so TALL..............this is not a time for statements like that. get a grip

Mr Russert will be missed by all..esp his Dad, Wife and Son. And Just 2 days before Fathers day.

Tim, May you look down upon all of us with your wisdom and intellect. Let your legecy be the standard by which other journalist follow.........truely fair and balanced with a tenacity to get to the Truth.

God Bless your Family
    Our Thoughts and Prayers are with them.

June 13, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  11. Klipspringer

For Tim Russert – In Memoriam:

"A large personality is built on such a structure that we scarcely realize its dimensions while it is being built; it keeps up its monstrous development, flinging out as many unaccountable commitments as the limbs on an octopus, growing until we scarcely recognize its shadows—so large it has become beyond that of ordinary people. Except we can recognize the dimensions of the shadow in the horizontal twilight of the coffin."

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

June 13, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  12. Big AL

May God be with you Tim, you are an Great!!!!! May the Lord be with your family in this time of need. You will be miss!!!!!!!!!! An sad day in America. June 13 Is Tim Day!!!!!!!!!

June 13, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  13. ABBY

TO ALL SENSELESS ANIMALS, WE ARE NOT TALKING POLITICS HERE, WE ARE GIVING OUR RESPECT TO A GREAT GIANT WE LOST.
    YOU CAN'T EVEN HOLD YOUR BREATH LUNATICS?

June 13, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  14. Chris

McCain said...“He was hard"

What? He was hard? Someone just died and all you can think of is "He was hard?. McCain get some help. Seriously. You need serious help.

June 13, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  15. Edwin from Indiana

It just is shocking to read these posts about a great man and the first few, Marcy and christy from pa then Marie Have to ruin it with the crap they write. You all shoud be ashamed of yourself. Tim you will be missed.

June 13, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  16. Gerald - London, Uk

Tim, can you hear me?

I just can't hold back my tears. I feel a heavy lump in my chest. You 've touched our lives and we miss you already.

oh my god, I don't know what to do on sunday mornings. Just don't know !!!

June 13, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  17. Barack Uda

I am shocked and saddened to hear such news about Tim. He was such a likable guy and he was so even handed with his interviews and reporting. He'll be greatly missed.

June 13, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  18. Francis N.

Rest in Peace. Speechless as I am, that all I can say. You will be deeply miss. One

June 13, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  19. Geri

He tried to make this a better world and almost succeeded. We all need to try and be more like him and how disrespectful of the people who chose to make nasty remarks on a site like this. Russert was a truly respected and honest hardworking journalist. God bless him. With his faith there is no doubt where he's at.

June 13, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  20. Rowena, NY

Irreplaceable loss. –One of the fairest, most objective journalists of our time. Tim Russert always gave viewers the facts. My favorite moments are when he would use the Interviewee’s very words –an opportunity for them to speak the truth to viewers. These were not ‘gotcha’ moments neither could the Interviewee take the “out of context” defense, because Tim quoted quite a bit of the Interviewee’s words –verbatim.

Meet the Press will not be the same without Tim Russert.

–With deepest sympathy my sincere condolences to the Russert family and NBC/MSNBC.

June 13, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  21. quantummoxie

Regardless of what one might think of his journalism or politics, he'll be greatly missed, particularly by those of us who are loyal and native Buffalonians (and fellow Canisius High School graduates).

June 13, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  22. sidney nyc

reast in peace tim, you will be missed

from sid in new york.

thats for your great light

June 13, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  23. Christopher W. Mannoia

We have lost a great man, and great news professional. Senators Obama and MCain have lost a voice of reason as they fight it out for the Presidency; they both said it: we are saddened by his loss. Lets put politics aside for a day and give thanks that we had Tim with us for so long.

RIP Tim R.

June 13, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  24. w.l. jones

Be it may Mr. Tim Russert were a joint among men and a journalism in political commentary that I injoyed wacthing. My condolencesgo out to his family.

June 13, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  25. Tom in CA

God Bless You Tim.

You have gone to a far better place.

June 13, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |