June 15th, 2008

NBC remembers Russert on first 'Meet the Press' since his death

ALT TEXT

This message, written on a dry erase white board that became a Russert trademark, was left outside NBC's Washington bureau Friday soon after news of the newsman's death spread. Photo credit: AP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The moderator's chair on NBC's "Meet the Press" stood empty on Sunday in remembrance of Tim Russert, the man who had occupied it for 17 years.

As the show's host, Russert became a mainstay of television journalism's
political talk.

He died Friday of apparent heart attack, according to the network. He was 58. The network said Russert collapsed while at work.

Colleague and former NBC anchor Tom Brokaw, who broke the news about the anchor's death, spoke on Sunday the familiar first four words of the news program, "Our issues this Sunday." He noted that those were the same words Russert had been recording for the show when he collapsed and died.

"Our issue this sad Sunday morning is remembering and honoring our colleague and friend," Brokaw said.

"He said he was only the temporary custodian," of this program, which he called a national treasure, Brokaw said. "Of course, he was so much more than all that."

Brokaw sat among some of Russert's other colleagues in the front of the show's set, including Pulitzer Prize-winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin and political analysts Mary Matalin and James Carville, who is also a CNN contributor.

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Okon

Tim, we will all miss you, i loved the way interview public office holders, you were always very fair, you have set high standard for others to follow...........everybody is saying good things about you, i wonder what the will say to Oreilly or your colleques at Foxnews

June 15, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  2. brad

Here I am Sunday morning without Russert's weekly dose. He truly will be missed and deservingly so.

June 15, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. Nobody Asked Larry But...

The world is never going to be the same without Tim Russert, but at the same time, it will be a better world because of him.

Rest in peace Tim.

June 15, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  4. Loretta from California

I woke up this morning in anticipation. I just cannot believe that he is gone. This is going to take some time for me to accept.

June 15, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  5. Bill From Florida

I aleays loved to watch Russert. He always seemed very fair and
    never bias towards any canidate.

He will truly be missed. I certainly hope some idiot dosen't post anything negative, if they didn't like him then keep it to yourself.

June 15, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  6. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

I Miss You Already Tim!

June 15, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  7. Lora B.

"Meet the Press" is a favorite Sunday morning program and Tim will be greatly missed by his viewers.

God Bless his family.

June 15, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  8. JB

I am unable to comprehend the fact that he will not be back on next Sunday morning. I was introdcued to politics through that show. My father and I created a bond watching Tim on Sunday mornings. Today, it remains a constant, and one of the most enjoyable moments of the week. Sunday morning wih Tim and my cup of coffee.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Big Rus, Luke and of course, his wife.

To see Buchanan and Carville come together to mourn such an amazing man, is a statement about how incredible he was.

My Sunday's will never be as enjoyable or memorable. . . . .

June 15, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  9. Theresa from Minneapolis

Russert was one you could trust. You knew he was not going to use spin but he'd ask the hard questions and follow up, follow up, follow up until the guest was accountable.

I will never forget him with his white board – Florida, Florida, Florida. The guy had a "gift" for making predictions. I sure hope his questioning 269-269 does not come true this year!!

We'll miss you, Tim!

June 15, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  10. Joel

Tim,

You will be missed. Your indelible footprint has been set in stone on American journalism, American television and the American people. Our hearts go out to all whom you left behind. We pray for their healing.

Good bye.

June 15, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  11. Mary - Independent

A great humanitarian and journalist and a man that will be missed.
    I began watching Tim Russert and Meet the Press a few months ago and was a continuous viewer every weekend.
    May God watch over this man and his family.

June 15, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

He was the real deal, no body in the tv media today can meet Big Tim's stamdards!

Tim God bless you my borther.

June 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  13. Annette, Washington, DC

A special memorial, for a special guy.

June 15, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. Ardnuas

I STILL feel numb.......This man was TRULY the BEST..... I will truly miss him on Meet the Press, and Election night.

June 15, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  15. rich

Tim..may you rest in peace. You know your death was a shock to many including me. Many of us are going to miss you. It would be hard turning on that tv come Sunday morning and find that you are not there. I just can't imagine a political analysis without your input.

I know you were very excited about the upcoming presidential election, and it's sad to know that you will not be there in person to witness how it unfolds, but I have a feeling you will be there in spirit with your big characteristic smile, and you will not be missing a single event.

Rest in peace Timmy, and may your family find comfort in knowing that you leave quite a legacy behind.

June 15, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  16. John NC

One of God's Many blessings to us was Tim Russert.

June 15, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  17. YES WE WILL

Tim you are already missed. God Bless your wonderful family. You meant so much and made a tremendous impact on so many.

I loved your drive and emotions for your family, friends, sports and politics.

Just know that Barack Obama is going to be one of our greatest President's in history. I guess you know that already.

June 15, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  18. For Obama /no hillary vp

"Miss him "seems like hallow words to try and describe our feelings he was such a giant in my lifetime and many may try to replace him but this will only be try because no one will ever replace this loss .
    My Sundays and his specials when on will never be the same .
    Bless your family and rest in Peace Tim.

June 15, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  19. Walt, Ohio

Father’s Day this year is poignant for a number of reasons.
    Tim Russert died Friday. Remembering a news commentator on Father’s Day may seem trivial. However, Tim was more than just a news moderator. I never personally met him; but every Sunday morning he was a welcome guest in my home. He was a good friend. He was one of the last people in network news that you could trust. More than that, when this country was going through 9-11, or any other crisis, his investigative reporting was who the country turned to navigate that crisis.
    On his Sunday morning show, politicians from both sides of the political spectrum were held accountable. It is a tribute to him that there were so much worldwide expressions of condolences for him; all held him in high esteem.
    Yet, his most endearing memory was the special relationship he had with his father, Big Russ, and with his son Luke. He wrote two books about the special relationship between him and his father; “Wisdom of our Fathers” and “Big Russ and Me”. Both were New York Times best sellers; true windows into the special relationship he had with his father and son.
    Tim was the kind of guy that would be equally comfortable having a beer at the local bar, and talking with presidents and royalty. And he would be equally accepted in both groups. He loved his family most of all. This is a very rare quality indeed.
    He will be sorely missed.

June 15, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  20. martin

he will be missed.

June 15, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  21. Juan Grain

Russert you are the greatest. Who will bring us the truth, who?

June 15, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  22. Moses, Ca.

I can't beleive he's gone. R I P Tim and may God be with you and your family on this Father's Day.

June 15, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  23. Nasher

Tim Russert was the last piece of sanity at NBC. NBC has gone from a great national network, to something less then tabloid yellow journalism. It's collection of ranters and ravers, 98% to the liberal side, has made the network the laughing stock of the national media.

In short, NBC has lost its bearings.

June 15, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  24. Michelle

It would be the greatest tribute to Mr. Russert if the
    media would follow his example and REMAIN OBJECTIVE
    and ask tough questions.

Tim was polite yet persistent.

There is too much bias in the media today. And
    everyone seems afraid to ask Obama the tough questions.

The press should not be campaigning for anyone.

Please honor Tim Russert by following the fine example that he set.

June 15, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  25. Jereme

All politics forevermore will exist in memory of and in tribute to, Tim Russert. We will miss you, Tim.

June 15, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |