June 15th, 2008

NBC remembers Russert on first 'Meet the Press' since his death

ALT TEXT

This message, written on a dry erase white board that became a Russert trademark, was left outside NBC's Washington bureau Friday soon after news of the newsman's death spread. Photo credit: AP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The moderator's chair on NBC's "Meet the Press" stood empty on Sunday in remembrance of Tim Russert, the man who had occupied it for 17 years.

As the show's host, Russert became a mainstay of television journalism's
political talk.

He died Friday of apparent heart attack, according to the network. He was 58. The network said Russert collapsed while at work.

Colleague and former NBC anchor Tom Brokaw, who broke the news about the anchor's death, spoke on Sunday the familiar first four words of the news program, "Our issues this Sunday." He noted that those were the same words Russert had been recording for the show when he collapsed and died.

"Our issue this sad Sunday morning is remembering and honoring our colleague and friend," Brokaw said.

"He said he was only the temporary custodian," of this program, which he called a national treasure, Brokaw said. "Of course, he was so much more than all that."

Brokaw sat among some of Russert's other colleagues in the front of the show's set, including Pulitzer Prize-winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin and political analysts Mary Matalin and James Carville, who is also a CNN contributor.

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Ross G Redlands. CA

My Lord! I sure did like that guy. Sunday just will not be the same anymore.

June 15, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  2. Ron R

Rest in Peace Tim.....You were the best.

June 15, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  3. Tony, Miami

I still cannot believe it. For me he was like a close member of my family and I can understand the grief of his wife and son.

June 15, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. The Bush Twins : George and John

He was such a lovely man, my prayers go out to his family.

June 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  5. R. Douglas

One of the finest, He will be missed.

June 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  6. Lee Brothers

This is a major loss and our hearts are deeply hurt by this...........

June 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  7. andrew s

you will be misss, but not forgotten

June 15, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. Arnold

please, please, NBC is not favouring Obama,,,,,it is McCain who is making all the mistakes or misspokke or misread..etc. if it were Obama he would get the same treatment and maybe out of the race....

June 15, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. terri

I really cried you would have thought I knew Tim

I will Miss him every sunday and his coverage of the election
    he was one you could truly trust and he would break all the political talk down so I was not bored/uninterested.

He was soooooooo fair in his questions and he was only one of the few this primary season that ask the hard and honest questions of each guess.

Now who are we left with ? O'Rielly, Stephanopolous
    God am I going to miss Tim

If they do replace him I hope is is someone fair and honest like Chuck Todd

June 15, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. Michelle

What a sad tragedy for his family and a great loss to mankind and the media
    Tim Russert will be greatly missed
    Heartfelt sympathy to his family and close friends

June 15, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  11. Generation X

Tim Russert can not be replace. It is a sad day in America. Tim, you will be missed. Goodbye, until we meet again.

June 15, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  12. Be Honest

God be with you .

June 15, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  13. Ken

Tim Russert was probably the most noble jounalist that lived. I watched Meet the Press regularly, and he really was like one of those guys that was a part of my life via the TV screen every sunday morning

He held these poloticians to the punch, obviously loved his family, and set a bar for hard work. I hope his death will bring to the forefront the type of journalism that should be going on, as opposed to all of this silliness that seems to push people further and further away from the issues.

American took a blow. I will miss him on Sunday mornings.

June 15, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  14. Mario

Missing one of the greatest journalists and human beings of our time.

June 15, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  15. V.

We've lost a great journalist
    Tim Russert, 1950-2008

June 15, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  16. John B., Ohio

The key will be Florida, Florida, Florida
    Remembering how insightful you always were
    We will miss you Tim

June 15, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. Gabriel Danaher

How surreal that Tim Russert died two days before father's day and his legacy is to fathers and how we are shaped by our upbringing and parents.
    Tom Brokow led a moving tribute to Tim Russert today on NBC and for a person who is somewhat sceptical of the media, it was refreshing to see the well deserved respect and admiration bestowed on Tim Russert by his colleagues in the media.
    Tim Russert will be missed but leaves an enduring legacy and a standard in journalism that hopefully will inspire us for the future.

June 15, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  18. THE LONE RANGER

GOD BLESS YOU TIM, AND THE RUSSERT FAMILY. TIM WAS A GENTLE, HONEST INDIVIDUAL, WHO WILL BE GREATLY MISSED.

June 15, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  19. M

I was a big fan of his, and felt he was the most objective reporter and analyst anywhere. He was fun to watch during the primaries, and always seemed like he was having the time of his life while talking about politics. He will be missed. I have to agree with Michelle, I hope others follow his example and be more objective. Other than his family, I can think of no better legacy than that.

June 15, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  20. yankeegirl15

God Bless You and Yours. Tim, I'm sure you'll remember this: "Buffalo Talkin' Proud". -May the road risse up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back, May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home, and may the hand of a friend alwasy be near.

June 15, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  21. Jon Cogar

It's sad to see this happen. My prayers go out to his family . I'm not doctor but I would guess Tim's long flight just a few days before is death was a factor. Everyone needs to understand that sitting for long period can cause blood to pool in the lower legs leading to clots. Up to a month after this happens a piece of a clot in a leg can break off and lodge in the lungs, heart or brain causing sudden death.

While driving long trips or long flight please get up and walk around every hour to keep the clots from occuring. This is a common factor in sudden deaths in truckers. The drive 6-8 hours at a time without stopping and walking around to keep their blood moving through their lower legs.

June 15, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  22. Susan

Tim, I missed you today, and cannot imagine what Sundays will be without you. May God grant your family peace, and may you be resting in the arms of our loving Father.

June 15, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  23. Connie

I truly believe that Chis ,Keith ,Chuck and all those on MSNBC and CNN will all do Tim proud during this election time.I also believe in my heart who Tim was supporting even tho you could never tell by his words or action.I also believe when Tim got to the gates of Heaven , his first question to our Lord was who is the next president ? Tim will be with us all on election night. May Tim's family and friends be blessed by the Father, Son and Holy Sprit.

Connie from Indiana

June 15, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  24. Tricia

This has been a sad day in the World, may your soul rest in peace!

June 15, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  25. ABG

Tim, you were "simply the best"!
    You always asked the questions that were on all of our minds.
    Thank you!