June 16th, 2008

“Yes We Can” Obama video wins Emmy

(CNN) – The famous “Yes We Can” video that spliced together clips of Barack Obama’s New Hampshire primary night speech and set it to music with celebrities singing along has won an Emmy award.

Produced by Black Eyed Peas frontman Will.i.am, the video won in the first time "New Approaches in Daytime Entertainment” category that “recognizes innovative production techniques and the use of media enhancement to support content.”

The video became an internet sensation when it first appeared shortly before Super Tuesday. Among the many celebrities who lent their voices to t project, which was filmed in black and white, are John Legend, Scarlett Johansson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Obama's campaign often plays the video before he takes the stage at rallies.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Oh Lord. I guess I can live with this blending of media and politics just as long has neither Obama or McCain start prancing around singing "Girls just wanna have fun".

June 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. John

No no my friends, I will never surrender to those Black Eyed Peas!

June 16, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. A Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Hopefully that is the only thing he will win.

Bam is confused. He didn't know the president of Russia or Iraq. What a moron. He should keep his mouth shut sometimes.

BTW I don't know how he can run neck and neck with McCain when CNN reports he is winning by 12% I think there are some lying polls and pollsters.

Did you see him shoveling sand in the sandbags? What a girlie man. Nice gloves, man and nice shirt.

We need an alpha man for the presidency.

Not some conscientious objector type.

June 16, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  4. Charlotte

Age use to mean wisdom. This year it means you are too old. This has been the worst year for catagorizing every person into some group or the other. White, black, latino, religion, educated, uneducated, rich, poor, old, young, male, female and then subgroups of those groups. I am so sick of this whole process. When you have news 24/7, I guess it must be filled with something, anything? Everything is hyberbolize by the candidates and the media. This Congress has a lower rating then the President and as McCain said, " that means it is down to employees and relatives." We, the people, don't matter except at election time. Pandering is part of the game. I will write Hillary Clinton on my ballot in November, and for those that say it will be wasted, tell that to the people who wrote in FDR for a third term. He did not seek re-election and won anyway. That is why we now have a two term limit on the Presidency. If we all write her name on our ballots, she can win!

June 16, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  5. obama4life

I agree with karen orange
    this video is awesome and CONGRATULATIONS to all those involved in the video!

Yes we can, Obama 08

June 16, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  6. Rolanda From Memphis

Dig that!!!!!!!!!!! I love the video!!!!

June 16, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  7. EDW

Um, Sarah Obama writes his own speeches.

June 16, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. The Surly Scholar

That video never fails to leave me feeling inspired. Indeed, few presidential candidates have been able to inspire such hopeful sentiment among the American public in a long, long time.

There is, without a doubt, something special about Barack Obama.

June 16, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  9. Larry

Love the video. Love the man.

June 16, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  10. Alice - NYC

... and this will solve the nations problems.

maybe we can make a video to lower gas prices also!!!

June 16, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  11. Angela Frazier, Memphis TN

What else does Obama have to do to prove he is the MAN for the job? His lists of firsts and achievements just keep right on growing!

June 16, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  12. Deborah in Houston

Absolutely inspiring

June 16, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  13. Mary in CT

...and accepting on behalf of Senator Obama, his friend and ghost speech writer: Deval Patrick!!

June 16, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. Angela Frazier, Memphis TN

Hey, IS THIS A JOKE... I imagine they said the same thing about Reagan...

June 16, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  15. JOHfromATLforOBAMA

I watched the video and the only word that can describe it is "Powerful"

People claim that Obama has no experience, people say that we are not ready for a black president.
    People say that we are just caught up on this fairy tale or dream.

I can honestly say that I have never felt so right about voting for someone as much as I do for Obama. It just feels right, I think he will bring so much change to this world, something we desperately need.

At this point there is no need for Clinton supporters to be upset with the outcome. If you believe, everything happens for a reason and I think this is our chance to make a difference.

June 16, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  16. JohnS

Awesome.

This is really a new ERA.

YES WE CAN AND WE WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD Bless you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GOD Bless the United States of America!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's go and change the world.

Barack OBAMA 2008 – 2016

June 16, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  17. darren

YEEEEEEEEA BABYYYYY!!!!

YES WE CAN TO OPPORTUNITY AND PROSPERITY!!!!

June 16, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  18. Bob from Ohio

Looking forward to Obama winning in November – YES WE CAN!!!

June 16, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  19. Jessica

Yay!

June 16, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  20. Kim, Charlotte, NC

Charlotte....I wonder if you look as stupid as you sound.

June 16, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  21. suz

Puleeeez. I just threw up a little in my mouth.

June 16, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  22. FactCheck

> Just keep on with all the rock star crap, and you will see what the
    > working people and seniors think about all this.

I hope you working people and seniors are not too attached to your homes, your healthcare, your jobs or to driving. You're going to be in for a rude shock with McCain as President.

June 16, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  23. Newton Pea

Elitists taking care of elitists.

June 16, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  24. Michael

Ok and this means what to me?

June 16, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  25. Fish Fry

Every election the Democratic nominee wins. Kerry could have sang Moon River through a moose call, and he would have won an Emmy.

June 16, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |