June 16th, 2008

Unhappiness in Clinton camp over Obama hire

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The news of Patti Solis Doyle’s hire by Barack Obama is not being well-received by many of those close to the New York senator and by former members of her campaign team, according to a longtime adviser, a top campaign staffer and several major donors.

Doyle, long rumored to be in talks with the Obama team about a position on the Illinois senator’s presidential campaign, was officially named the chief of staff for Obama’s future vice presidential pick on Monday.

According to one longtime adviser, the move is being seen by many of those close to Clinton as a message she will not be Obama’s vice presidential pick.

The official reaction from the Clinton camp contained no criticism of the the hire. “Patti will be an asset and good addition to the Obama campaign,” said campaign spokesman Mo Eleithee. “After nearly two decades in political life, she brings with her the ability to tap an extensive network that will be a huge asset to Senator Obama. As Senator Clinton has said, we’re all going to do our part to help elect Senator Obama as the next President of the United States.”

But many of those close to Clinton remain "angry and furious with [Doyle]" over the campaign’s performance early in the primary season, and share a widespread belief she "grossly mismanaged our campaign," according to one former staffer.

"[T]here was no modicum of planning, none of the backup plan that would be in place at any smart campaign in the event we'd lose Iowa, no planning after Super Tuesday," said one former aide. Others say there is plenty of blame to go around.

A top Democrat close to Solis Doyle says Solis Doyle would not have accepted the job if she believed Senator Clinton would be Obama's choice for vice president.

1. Karen

I wish Clinton and references to her would just GO AWAY!!! She lost–end of story and it's not Obama's fault.

June 16, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  2. Joe From NY

Senator Clinton:

You ran an awesome, inspirational and historic campaing. But you are owed nothing. You ran a race. You lost. End of story. You endorsed Obama, so that would indicate that you and your minions would stop publicly criticzing every move he makes on his path to change this country, that doesn't necessarily involve you or your approval. Get behind YOUR party's candidate already. Your a magnificent public servant. But your credibility is eroding by the day. How about some grace and respect for yourself, party and country.

June 16, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  3. GERALD STROTHER

ALL OF YOU MCCAIN PEOPLE GO AWAY!!!!!! IT IS OVER

June 16, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  4. Republican for Obama

I visited Hillary's website and found numerous references to the name "Hillary". From Hillary...For Hillary...By Hillary...Hillary this....Hillary That....Hillary Here...Hillary there...Hillary needs that...Hillary was here...there.. Talk about a deranged narcissism..

I also visited Barack's website and found about five reference to his name and everything else is about you and me. I felt like I am part of the campaign.

Sorry I don't even want to discuss my visit to McCain's website. I truly feel sorry for that guy.

I've been voting republican ever since I am eligible to vote (that's about 25 years) in local, state and federal elections. This will be my first election I will be voting for a democrat.

June 16, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  5. Franky

Hey, what happened to the Cllinton camp??? They're still around, right? I haven't seen them bust out as much. Ohhh I see now. Her camp is upset with the hiring. Ohhh well, is the Dems doing this to themselves...........I'm sure they understand.

June 16, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  6. eliot from chicago

There is only one team Obama/DNC.

What is with the us/them unless its Obama/McBush

Sen, Clinton was graceful in her last speech, maybe her staff needs to focus on either finding new work, or working with the "new sheriff in town" (think Blazing Saddles)

June 16, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  7. Cece

In the end no one is to blame for loss but the candidate. The candidate is the one with the ultimate authority, just maybe Mrs. Clinton could not effectively manage the manager. A campaign has to be run by like a business because it is a business. There is always a CEO of a company and Hillary Clinton just wasn't a good CEO, however Barack Obama has proved that he can mange his managers like a good CEO. For that reason Patty Doyle will do better on Obama's team.

June 16, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  8. DemocracyNow2008

Clinton camp get over it Obama is allowed to choose who he wants on his VP Search Committee.

He does not have to pick Hillary to win in November and he is not owned by the Clintons .

Obama is the Change we need and is VP must reflect that .

An Independent minded Obama is why I voted for him and thats what makes Senator Obama such a great Candidate for President over McCain.

June 16, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  9. Hillary

Why blame Doyle, there were much bigger players on the campaign with much more say such as Mark Penn & Bill Clinton, who are ultimately more responsible for the failure of the campaign than Patti.

Clinton was the presumptive nominee when the whole process started out, everyone was confident she would wrap up the nomination within the first two months of primary season. Blaming Patti for the failure of the campaign as a whole is silly!

As for Obama hiring her, I hope he has good reason to do so, after all he has shown good sense and political analysis so far with how his campaign has been run.

June 16, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  10. Mike

Silly, silly news. Why do people insist in reading between lines when you can't pry apart the lines to read between to begin with?

June 16, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  11. Phillip

I am a strong Obama supporter, and also from the So. side of Chicago, I feel this was not a smart move, the timing was all bad.

At this point, when it comes to former staff members, the Obama campain should consult with Senator Clinton.

Oh yea, her ties to Chicago have not gone over looked either.

June 16, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  12. Wally, MD

There is STILL a Clinton camp??? I guess her endorsement speech was AGAIN a calculated move (as usua???l!!) to further her VP aspirations! We are still talking about "us versus them" in the Democratic party?? With unemployment at 5.5%, gas at $4.15 per gal./regular, foreclosure rates rising, companies downsizing and cutting jobs, airlines folding under, State governments cutting costs to fund programs, $10-12 billion a month WASTED in the Iraq war, while AMERICANS suffer here at home??????!!!!!.....

Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me......I guess a lot of people surmised it correctly; it's all about The Clintons; no one else matters in America......

June 16, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  13. Whitney Osentoski

I am puzzled by Obama's decision. It seems like a very bad decision to bring someone on board who is going to further divide those of us who still see Hillary as the best choice for President. I have always found Obama to be arrogant and this decision seals the deal for me. It definitely doesn't have me grabbing my check book but then maybe he thinks he will win without us and maybe he just will. Its frustrating to go from being so involved and so excited to now feeling like I just don't care and this decision only makes that feeling even stronger.

June 16, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  14. Jt

Who cares.

Hillary or McCain.

In this case it will be McCain.

June 16, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  15. Seriously

If we don't stop talking about the Clinton's I'm going to puke... Granted this Patti women has had her issues with the Clinton camp, but I'm sure Obama is picking her for a reason. On with Change!

June 16, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  16. Ross...TX

Without Hillary on the ticket as VP, Obama won't win PA., WV., OH., or Fl. Without Hillary on the ticket as VP, McCain has a chance to steal the election. Four (4) more years of Bush policy? I hope not.

June 16, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  17. CB

Hillary – every day you don't speak out, you fan the flames of a split in the democratic party. You said you would be out working hard to get Obama elected if he won. Well – I don't expect you to work as hard as when you were running – but you should at least have the insight to know that every day you wait, there are more and more votes going to the Republicans.

June 16, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  18. Clinton

If the Democrats keep this up, they will once again successfully snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. STOP THE BICKERING!

June 16, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  19. Mark Webb

Nice move!
    Obama gives her a second chance; everybody should be happy.
    There is still room for the whole Clinton team; maybe except Mark Penn. Hilary will get the Department of Health.
    Thank you all.
    Let's unite and win the White House back!

June 16, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  20. Sue

"An aide to Obama insists the hire should not be read as indication of who their choice will be."

I'm sorry Sen. but your judgement is slowly but surely sinking you. Who are you kidding with that ^^ quote. Hiring Solis Doyle was a direct slap in the face to Sen. Clinton. I'm sure you could have found someone immenintly more qualified.

June 16, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  21. Mich

Obama has time and again shown disrespect for democratic supporters specially Clinton supporters as if they don't exist.

He will pay heavy price for his high-headedness.

His failed judgement about making friends, selecting church, etc etc.. are all pointing data that he will once again make a failed-decision and later regret.

June 16, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  22. Aliou FL for Obama

Or a preparation for hill to be on the ticket?

Remember that we the people only know so much about what goes on.

May be hillary regretted firing the lady and now asked obama to hire her.

we don't know what transpire. I wouldn't hire anyone from the clinton, but I will ask them to campaign for me.

June 16, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  23. mary fro Texas

Don/t you just love Obama's "respect" for Hillary. More empty words

June 16, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  24. Sallie Fl

We all needed to take a break so you can thinks

June 16, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  25. Texas Trail Dog

I don't blame Hillary, Solis is a traitor of the worst kind along with all the other Clinton supporters that went over to this evil man. May they go down to the pit with this corrupt individual. Just remember, Solis, Kennedy, Kerry, Dean, Peosi, Richardson, Byrd politics and States that vote for you Judas' have a way of remembering come voting time. You ride with the Devil you surely will burn with him also. McCain 08

June 16, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |