June 16th, 2008

Unhappiness in Clinton camp over Obama hire

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The news of Patti Solis Doyle’s hire by Barack Obama is not being well-received by many of those close to the New York senator and by former members of her campaign team, according to a longtime adviser, a top campaign staffer and several major donors.

Doyle, long rumored to be in talks with the Obama team about a position on the Illinois senator’s presidential campaign, was officially named the chief of staff for Obama’s future vice presidential pick on Monday.

According to one longtime adviser, the move is being seen by many of those close to Clinton as a message she will not be Obama’s vice presidential pick.

An aide to Obama insists the hire should not be read as indication of who their choice will be.

The official reaction from the Clinton camp contained no criticism of the the hire. “Patti will be an asset and good addition to the Obama campaign,” said campaign spokesman Mo Eleithee. “After nearly two decades in political life, she brings with her the ability to tap an extensive network that will be a huge asset to Senator Obama. As Senator Clinton has said, we’re all going to do our part to help elect Senator Obama as the next President of the United States.”

But many of those close to Clinton remain "angry and furious with [Doyle]" over the campaign’s performance early in the primary season, and share a widespread belief she "grossly mismanaged our campaign," according to one former staffer.

"[T]here was no modicum of planning, none of the backup plan that would be in place at any smart campaign in the event we'd lose Iowa, no planning after Super Tuesday," said one former aide. Others say there is plenty of blame to go around.

A top Democrat close to Solis Doyle says Solis Doyle would not have accepted the job if she believed Senator Clinton would be Obama's choice for vice president.

1. CYNTHIA in Redan, GA

This is a good thing I think, because, she was fired by Hillary and the campaign people was making it out to be that she stepped down and was still working in some other area. She was fired and needed a job so she was given a job on the Obama campaign or as a person that can help vet for the Obama VP. U Go Girl. Sore losers should just shut up and deal with the hand that they dealt themselves. Have you ever heard of BACKFIRE!?

CYNTHIA

June 16, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  2. California Women for Obama

Who cares if they are unhappy. They will ALWAYS be unhappy. Life goes on. Anyway if Sen. Obama feels Ms. Solis Doyle is the right person for the job so be it! Maybe she will do a better job for Obama because the atmosphere is entirely different. They are far more professional and Obama is by far more organized.

P U M A = Purely, Unethical, Mixed-Up, Amorals.

June 16, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  3. Andrea. California

This is horrible. Hillary 08'! as an Independent. I was all for her being VP and giving my vote to Obama, forget it.

And to you people that say "you clinton voters that dont want her now but want her in 2012 be careful because blah blah we wont vote for her then blah blah", shut up.

Hillary 08' Independent! (im writing you in no matter what)

June 16, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  4. Obama-fatigue

There is alot to be said for the nearly 18 million people who went to the polls and voted for Hillary Clinton. They had a choice then and there is still a choice to be made. I do not speak for nearly 18 million people but I'll bet they are alot like me. I am in no hurry to jump on the Obama band wagon. I felt he didn't have the right stuff then and that still remains today. The only way I would consider voting Obama is if he had the intelligence, humility and honesty that she would be his best choice. If he just picks another woman, Clinton voters will be furious and go in the opposite direction fast. As you all can see, no one, so far of Obama's VP selections have even said "maybe". They have been quite clear....NO, not me! He will have a tough road ahead. Oh...and no one likes a turn-coat...Patti or anyone else.

June 16, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  5. jm from sc

I hope Sen. Obama will continue to run his campaign without any consideration of what makes Hillary upset.

June 16, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  6. Desmond Sequeira

If any of these folks were the nominee would they like a whole bunch of other folks constantly bickering with them. Smarten up and act like adults., even if you are not.

And what influence is Mrs. Clinton having over her supporters, after all?

June 16, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  7. BREAKING NEWS!!!!!! RE: BRIAN KNV TN

Brian Knoxville, TN June 16th, 2008 4:07 pm ET
    Obama is the best candidate for president we have ever had in my lifetime. No way would I vote for a loser like McCain. Tennesseans are proud to vote for Obama.

Obama 08′...........WILL THE REAL BRIAN PLZ STAND UP!!!!!!!!

June 16, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  8. ABBY

WHO DID THE TWO CALL WHEN THEY MET OFF CAMERA? I BELIEVE THERE IS ONE UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN HILLARY AND OBAMA THAT WE ALL DON'T KNOW, MORE SO OBAMA IS A VERY SMART AND INTELLIGENT PERSON SO I BELIEVE HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING THAT IS WHAT WE CALL A LEADER.

June 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  9. Michigan Voter !!!

Support Hillary She Is The Best Canidate For President , In A Race Between Obama And Sen. John McCain , I Will Vote John McCain For President . I'm A Life Long Democrat Like My Parents , And Grand Parents . But Folks I Gotta Tell Ya , John McCain Is A Way Stronger Canidate , Than Obama !!!

This November This Democrat Will Cross Party Lines , And Vote For The Republican Ticket . Party Issues Don't matter Anymore , Al Gore Is Endorsing Obama In Detoit Tonight , Obama Can Have All The Endorsements From Democratic Elete , Means Nothing To Me ,The Deal Is I Don't Endorse Him !!!

America Needs A Strong President !!!!!

John McCain President , 2008

June 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  10. MillionMan

I'm tired of everything being about Hillary! HE is the nominee and can hire who he wants! Stop whinning already!

June 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  11. Jatovi, NC

I've got two words, So What!

June 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  12. No More Clintons, CA

Perhaps the Clintons should show the public their ENEMY LIST so that we all know ahead if they would APPROVE or DISAPPROVE any person they might consider offensive to them!

Looks like their attitude of ENTITLEMENT still holding strong there.

Obama needs SOME of Clinton supporters, but, definitely he does not need ALL, especially not those finantical bitter people who complaint about everything.

June 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. Lynn

She had been in the tank for Obama for a long time. Even when she was employed by Hillary. You can have her. What a traitor.

June 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  14. Janie, Raleigh, N.C.

I want to be able to support Obama, but when he and his campaign do this sort of thing I really wonder about his character. Why does he constantly do things to offend Senator Clinton and by doing so he offends those of us who support him. When I watched him on the podium with VP Gore, Gore looked Presidential. Obama looked like a trainee. I may vote for him, but I will not donate to him or the Democratic party unles Hillary is his VP. That is a fact.

June 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  15. ML

to seriously: please, if you cannot hear about Clintons, how did you survive the 8 great years under Bill CLinton? If you are such a neurotic, just stop reading, watching news on tv etc. Then you will find your peace.
    Do not bother other people with your emotional problems.

June 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  16. Edwin, Fayetteville, NC

Please allow Sen. Obama to pick his running mate without trying to push someone at him. I still do not think Sen. Cliton would be good for the ticked but if he picks her good, he is a wise man and I will still vote Democrat in november.

June 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  17. kitade

I knew many of you will never vote for Obama just because he's black, you'll not even consider that he's half white.
    Write it down today, in two years of McCain presidency you will sober.
    McCain will continue spending 10-12 billions dollar in Iraq every month, he's always says he will never surrender in Iraq, that mean all his term in office the war will never end, no doubt about that.
    What about using all that war money to create jobs in America? McCain will never do that because of his love for war.
    McCain once said he knew nothing about economic, he just started talking about economic when he realized that that's the only way to get your vote.
    McCain will be 72yr old this year, stop deceiving yourself, let's face it, he's too old to carry the whole world responsibilities on his shoulder.
    McCain will not only continuing Iraq war, but also attack Iran. While America economic in recession and needs serious attention.

Tell me, how can someone who's always thinking succeeding in war, succeed in economic at the same time?

Call me crazy, call me mad. In few years of McCain in office you will be regretting and it will be too late.

June 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  18. Aliou FL for Obama

seriously:

I am with you on this one. let her have a respite. turn the page and let's talk about electing obama.

Hill is out. her supporters should get it.

When I hear some of them say they will vote for Mc100yearswars, I tell myself I was right not to join that crowd: Imagine someone who was supporting hillary's plans for healthcare, and all other democratic views to be now saying they will vote for McSame? What is it in McBush that looks like anything Hillary stands for?

That simply shows that they weren't serious about change. They were just faking to want to vote for her in November, because they wanted Mcsame to use her high negatives against democrats in November.

June 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  19. DannyCali

I disagree with that..........Hillary very happy because she told Obama to pick Patti and soon later Hillary going to be a VP on Obama ticket. People
    do not believe what's politic said.....all they say is 90% lie. Other think is
    Obama can't win general election with out Hillary.

June 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  20. Delta Dave

Hillary, So Sad, Too Bad, Suck it Up and Move On!

June 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  21. ab

why they hired her?

June 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  22. Eunice

And this man (Obama) calls himself a uniter? This is so petty and belittles him even more in the eyes of Hillary's 18 million supporters. He keeps making the wrong judgements all the time and he thinks American people can be fooled so easily with rhetorics. Surely Obama has charisma but very empty on the inside as far as judgement and reasoning is concerned. I feel sorry for America if this man becomes President. This appointment shows how bitter and childish and imature and inexperienced Obama is. I can't believe he got the nomination and instead of throwing all the bitter exchanges aside and show Hillary some respect, he has chosen to do this to get back at Hillary. If care is not taken, Hillary could run as independent and she will win. Remember she only suspended her campaign and meaning she could come back anytime. Obama had better be careful. I don't know who is advising him but they will surely mess him up and I hope they do.
    Now he just ticked off Hillary's supporters whom he is supposed to be working very hard to win. Remember "Once a soldier, Always a soldier". Once a Hillary supporter, Always a Hillary Supporter and at the same time, Once an Obama supporter, always an Obama supporter. Obama supporters are extremely loyal to Obama and at the same token he should not forget that Hillary's supporters are extremely loyal to Hillary. Hillary's supporters can not stand Obama just as Obama's supporters can not stand Hillary. So Mr. Obama, continue to listen to all those inexperienced staff of yours and keep on ticking off Hillary's supporters. This is good music to Hillary's supporters ears. It just goes on to confirm why they don't want you to be President and why they chose Hillary over you. If you don't have a sports man's heart then you should not go into politics. If you have to hold unto bitterness against your opponents then there is not going to be any difference between you and other dictator leaders of the world that became power drunk and eliminated all their enemies once they grabbed hold of power. Saddam Hussein and Idi Amin are prime example. This is America and it is a different world. I have watched every President in America no matter how great, insulted and riddiculed by the media and the public and called all kinds of names but they just keep doing what they are doing and don't pay any attention to the insults and bear no grudge even though they hurt. President Bush handles his attackers very well. He turns around and make a joke out of his critics and everybody will be laughing their heads off. He even makes a joke of his own mistakes sometimes and that is called a sports man's spirit.

So all am saying is that people are watching and keeping records. They will get back at you come November and I wonder what you will do at that time. You may never come out to give a concession speech.

June 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  23. darren

beggers can't be choosers. Please Hillary supporters, realize your candidate lost...have u seen the light yet?

June 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  24. Rosa

Just one more reason to top the millions of reasons people know that his decisions are so "noodle" in comparison to Hillary and McCains'. This man is another George Bush ready to happen with all his ignorance. I mean get real, you got a nominee here who's more concerned about putting a basketball court in the White House than the thousands that are losing their homes in all the flooding in this country. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have never seen a person more arrogant than Obama. The man has got more ego than brains! I will vote for McCain for sure and I was a Hillary supporter and proud of it!

June 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  25. Pat

The hillary lovers are nothing more than children.

And if they love her so much then they should all just marry her.

They all just need to go away.

June 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |