June 16th, 2008

Unhappiness in Clinton camp over Obama hire

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The news of Patti Solis Doyle’s hire by Barack Obama is not being well-received by many of those close to the New York senator and by former members of her campaign team, according to a longtime adviser, a top campaign staffer and several major donors.

Doyle, long rumored to be in talks with the Obama team about a position on the Illinois senator’s presidential campaign, was officially named the chief of staff for Obama’s future vice presidential pick on Monday.

According to one longtime adviser, the move is being seen by many of those close to Clinton as a message she will not be Obama’s vice presidential pick.

An aide to Obama insists the hire should not be read as indication of who their choice will be.

The official reaction from the Clinton camp contained no criticism of the the hire. “Patti will be an asset and good addition to the Obama campaign,” said campaign spokesman Mo Eleithee. “After nearly two decades in political life, she brings with her the ability to tap an extensive network that will be a huge asset to Senator Obama. As Senator Clinton has said, we’re all going to do our part to help elect Senator Obama as the next President of the United States.”

But many of those close to Clinton remain "angry and furious with [Doyle]" over the campaign’s performance early in the primary season, and share a widespread belief she "grossly mismanaged our campaign," according to one former staffer.

"[T]here was no modicum of planning, none of the backup plan that would be in place at any smart campaign in the event we'd lose Iowa, no planning after Super Tuesday," said one former aide. Others say there is plenty of blame to go around.

A top Democrat close to Solis Doyle says Solis Doyle would not have accepted the job if she believed Senator Clinton would be Obama's choice for vice president.

1. JN

Cant wait for the press release from the Clintons:

DOYLE IS A RAGING SEXIST and we wont stand for this !!!

June 16, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  2. Washington

Why does Hillary Clinton's website still have a Support Hillary for
    President request and form on it? Seems kinda funny if she is
    supporting Obama that she is still seeking money for her presidency??? Anyhow, I am thankful to see that there is at
    least a few Clinton supporters willing to unite the party.
    Obama 08

June 16, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  3. Glenn

The so-called Clinton camp needs to get a grip! This is just another example of their petty whining that most Americans got sick of during the campaign. Why would anyone with any intelligence even think that anyone within the Clinton camp would have any say over who Obama picks for his campaign staff? The Clinton's, the Clinton camp, the Clinton Campaign, whatever, lost the Democratic election. Just a another attempt by Hillary to try to sway her supporters to not support Obama if she is picked as his veep. Most Obama supporters and the American people don't want her on the ticket. They were out of touch with reality throughout the election and apparently still are. They simply need to get a grip!

June 16, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  4. andrea

She probably needs a job.

June 16, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  5. Cliff Moyle

I could have told you that Obama was not a nice guy but nobody would listen to the general public we are not smart enough to come in out of the rain, BUT I AM NOT GOING TO VOTE FOR OBAMA.
    If I never get to vote again! I will not condone what he will do to AMERICA?
    Cliff

June 16, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  6. Think Blue

Poor, poor Hillary ~ how will Bill spin this?

June 16, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  7. TPas

Nice move. Democrats needs to win the white house...

June 16, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  8. Sorry, but no tears here for Clinton

Sorry, but Clinton doesn't count anymore. Even if Obama loses in November, and Clinton wins the nomination in 2012, she will never have my vote.

Her antics during this primary season were disgraceful and cemented millions of people's opinions of her and Bill's She and her campaign took Obama as a joke.

I will be proud to lose with Obama, then to win with another crooked Clinton.

June 16, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  9. bill in pa

Maybe she'll get the hint and go back to New York, Arkansas, Illinois, Pennsylvania or whever else she claims to be from. Good riddance.

June 16, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  10. backstabbers unit

what a bunch of backstabbers...I just dont understand people these days. The chick ruined Hillary campaign and is now working for obama's campaign.

June 16, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  11. Sam, Muncie, Ind.

Does not the candidate bear the entire brunt of blame for the failure of her campaign? If she was such a qualified leader, ready to take the reigns on Day One, then why was her "inevitable" campaign an unmitigated disaster? Why did she not make the correct choices to get her where she wanted to be?

June 16, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  12. Loretta from California

Well, I hope that this isn't an indication that Senator Clinton won't be the VP pick. I believe that she would ben an excellent VP for Senator Obama. It will be as disappointing to me as that "whitey" lie that is being told by the GOP' s Fox news network .

Democrats to find the truth, and to fight the smears(LIES) go to:

....to fight the smears. or whenever you need the truth.

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!

June 16, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  13. Robert Lewis

New Obama senior advisor Patti Solis and her husband's $192,500.00 compensation package from his tax exempt entity filed from their home address

June 16, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  14. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

I Didnt Know Hillary Still Had A Camp!

June 16, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  15. Brian Knoxville, TN

Wow, didn't see this coming. These hires of former Clinton staff members have convinced me that Obama is serious about creating not only unity within the Democratic party, but that he is the type of leader that can unify our country. I failed to notice this in my anger after Hillary dropped out, but now I realize I was only blinding myself from our next great leader. I take back anything nasty I said about Obama and his supporters. Also, I'll admit that the whole PUMA thing was kinda dumb. I'm all Obama now!!!

President Obama '08!!!

June 16, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  16. Debbie

You just can't leave Hillary alone. She is still my pick for President and I have very many mixed fillings about Obama. He just doesn't have what it takes to be President. What did Hillary ever do to you guys and gays out there that causes to always say negative things about her, or you just jealous that she made it big and you didn't, LEAVE HER ALONE, she still is the best choice for President, and I and my family would vote for her in a heart beat. I don't think if I were Hillary I would lower myself to being his VP, she can do better. Yes, I get very upset when Hillary's so called supporters, jump ship, wonder if anybody out there knows what 'loyalty' means. It doesn't mean, 'be a friend as long as there's something in it for yourself'. God Bless Hillary

Hillary for President, not Obama

June 16, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  17. Rudy Jimenez

Independent??

June 16, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  18. shannon

Sounds like sabotage....good old fashion Chicago politcs...well played Obama.

June 16, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  19. insanity

vote with love for country, vote obaba

June 16, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  20. hugo

""[T]here was no modicum of planning, none of the backup plan that would be in place at any smart campaign in the event we'd lose Iowa, no planning after Super Tuesday,""

shouldn't hrc have noticed that? why blame doyle?

June 16, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  21. NC

It would be nice if the HRC supporters would simply get over it already. The reason why Hillary lost is because she was the candidate. I do not think I have ever seen a group so ready to blame everyone else. There is something to be said for people who refuse to take responsibility for their own shortcomings...

June 16, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  22. Not Voting for Obama unless Hillary is VP

Obama's hiring of Solis Doyle is not a slap at Clinton. Obama's not that stupid.

Solis Doyle goes back to the Daly campaigns in Chicago and has worked with Obama's senior advisor, David Axelrod (who also worked with Clinton).

Solis Doyle gets along with the Clintons fine. Obama's not putting her in charge of the campaign infrastructure. Rather, she'll work as the VP's chief of staff. Something she did rather well with Hillary in the White House.

Basically, Obama picked someone he knows can work with Hillary and would be working for him, not Hillary, as her successor Maggie Williams would be.

June 16, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  23. Vig

Clinton has a snow ball's chance in Haddes being asked to be VP. The Democrat Party who turned on her & did nothing to confront the degrading and demeaning treatment she received by the media hope she will go away. Well, her loyal supporters will write her in on the November ballot and send them a message that they can join that snow ball in Haddes.

June 16, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  24. Bond_Dallas

I see no problem here at all. Patti will be great for the campaign and it only shows how Barack will gradually absorb some of Clintons campaign staff. The Clintons are still crying,,,, come on already! We are all together in this.

Good pick!

June 16, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  25. McCain 08

John McCain does NOT need Hillary or her screaming women to win this election.

McCain 08