June 17th, 2008

Independent groups launch new anti-McCain ad

From a MoveOn/AFSCME ad launched Tuesday.
From a MoveOn/AFSCME ad launched Tuesday.

(CNN) – Two major liberal political action committees are launching a new spot that attacks John McCain’s foreign policy judgment, one of his biggest perceived strengths.

MoveOn.org and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees - who had been on opposite sides of the primary fight between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama - jointly launched the 30-second spot Wednesday on national cable and in key Midwestern swing states, with a buy of more than half a million dollars.

WATCH the new MoveOn/AFSCME ad

"Hi, John McCain. This is Alex. And he's my first,” says a woman in the ad, as she holds an infant in her arms. “So far his talents include trying any new food and chasing after our dog. That, and making my heart pound every time I look at him. And so, John McCain, when you say you would stay in Iraq for 100 years, were you counting on Alex? Because if you were, you can't have him."

The Republican National Committee blasted the ad Tuesday. “MoveOn.org was wrong to smear General Petraeus, just like Barack Obama was wrong to not go to Iraq to meet with him. America cannot afford a Commander in Chief who listens to partisan groups like MoveOn.org instead of our commanders,” said RNC spokesman Alex Conant. “Bringing peace and security to Iraq will require a Commander in Chief who won’t allow partisanship to cloud his judgment.”

A MoveOn staffer said the timing of the ad was influenced by McCain’s ad last week in which the senator said he hated war. “He’s out there all alone on this issue,” said the aide. The “100 years” comment has been a favored theme of anti-McCain advertising by third-party groups so far this cycle.

Obama, who does not accept PAC contributions, has said publicly that he does not want third-party groups airing ads on his behalf – but directed that request at groups that accept unlimited donations. Contributions to political action committees are limited under federal campaign finance regulations.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. CB

SAY *NO* to permanent bases in Iraq!

June 17, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. rajah kahn

The OLD MAN always talks about WAR IN THE EAST, and MORE WARS....This is all he knows..Every Americans hate the MUSLIMS, but we import oil from Saudi Arabia, and these are all Muslims who live there.Pakistan is helping us fight the the Talibans, and these Pakitanis are all Muslims. You knuckle heads who support McCain, are FREAKS!!!!!

June 17, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. Ryan

1) McCain wouldn't be in office for 18 years.
    2) Military service is voluntary.
    3) McCain's "100 years" comment has now been taken out of context several hundred times.
    4) The surge worked. Maybe if CNN would actually do it's job and report on the war….
    5) MoveOn.org is a result of what happens when you don't flush.

June 17, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  4. Chris, Antioch, CA

I hope this is the start of a lot of ads working to paint McCain for who he really is: a neoConservative warmonger. He is no moderate; he never has been. Whenever he's wanted to play politics and jockey for power, he's sidled up to the center. He might talk a reasonable talk–campaign finance, rejecting Bush tax cuts, anti-torture, immigration reform–but when it matters most, he flipflops on everything and supports the opposite policy. This style has pissed off true conservatives, but if anyone looks at his voting record, you'll see that he offers nothing better than Bush.

Thank you MoveOn, an enlightened, reasonable organization that just wants to see a government that works for the people. The Patreus ad was a stupid, shrill move, but I know that the majority of what you do works to promote a progressive agenda for the betterment of the country.

June 17, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  5. Valerie

You can't have my kids either McCain. I'll move out of the country before I let my kid die in a war that should have never been waged in the first place!

June 17, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  6. Emily

McCain 08 June 17th, 2008 1:04 pm ET

People, you fail to remember that the army is voluntary and the men and women serving there are strong, patriotic human beings. I wouldnt expect any far left liberal's son or daughter to enlist in the Military, you all think its beneath you.

If my 2 sons decided to join the military i would be very proud of them. Of course i would be worried about them, but still very proud.

McCains 2 sons are in the Navy/Marines so i really doubt he wants his sons in harms way for the rest of their life. He will end the war and bring the troops home once Gen Patreous says so.
    ----

Its voluntary now but I'm sure McCain is considering bringing the draft back. Then it won't be voluntary.

Also. Gen Patreous is in George Bush's pocket. He will only say what Bush want's him to. And Bush would rather keep us in Iraq till the cow's come home then bring our people out now.

Think before you type.

June 17, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  7. To The PUMA People

PUMA people just do it and shut up. You are like the lost soul on the bridge faking like he is going to jump when all he wants is attention. So, go ahead and take the leap and vote McSame if it will make you happy. Clinton is still begging each of her 18million folks for $I.00 to get her out of the hole but they won't do it. She lost, so get out of here and go cry to her or help her because you are not doing anyone any good on here.
    Obama will win this race without you and it will be better that way so that Hillary won't get the credit for her PUMA people crossing over.
    Obama08 with or without YOU.

June 17, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  8. gary

ALL YOU YOUNG HATERS THAT NEVER BEEN IN THE MILITARY HAVE NOTHING TO SAY. 85% OF THE COUNTRY WANTED WAR AFTER 911. YOU MUST NOT CARE ABOUT 911 AND ALL THAT WAS LOST. YOU RATHER SEE MORE TERROIST ATTACKS. THE ATTACKS STOPPED AFTER THIS COUNTRY ATTACKED IRAQ ETC. YOU YOUNG MORONS WOULDN'T KNOW BECAUSE YOU HAVE SO MUCH HATE AGAINST THE CLINTONS ETC. O.B. DIDN'T HAVE SAY OR HE WOULD OF VOTED FOR THE WAR. HE DID VOTE FOR IT 2YRS. LATER. HE IS A BIG JOKE.YOU BRAINEWASHED LOOSER'S WILL BE SORRY 2YRS DOWN THE ROAD, FOR SUPPORTING A CON MAN ,LIKE O.B. AMERICA GETSWHAT THEY ASK FOR. CONCERNED VIET NAM VET

June 17, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. AJ

I despise Obama. I despise republicans. It's a pity that the two most viable candidates are so unpalatable to so many. I've been a democrat for 30 years and never supported a republican for any office. Obama and his supporters make me want to vomit. I guess I'll sit home in November.

June 17, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  10. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

"CB2 June 17th, 2008 1:27 pm ET

I have a child…and McSame can't have mine either!!!!!"
    ------------------------–
    Tell me about it! I have two sons that are both in their 20's.

I told both of them that if John McCain becomes president, to save up their money and buy a one-way ticket to Canada.

I feel your pain. :)

June 17, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  11. 58 old white ladies for OBAMA

OF ALL THE DISMAL POLICIES, HE & BUSH

SUPPORTED, FOREIGN POLICY IS THE MOST

DISMAL OF ALL. HOW CAN ANYONE MISTAKE IT ?

WE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.

June 17, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  12. wwjd

oops, the rnc still hasn't quite figured out this intertubes thingy. or how to mask site registration:

clintons for mccain

US
    Phone: 202-863-8500
    Fax: 202-863-8851
    Record created on 15-May-2008

June 17, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  13. Cynthia

I agree with Alex's mom, you can't have any of my relatives.

June 17, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  14. Beverly, NYC

Dennis @ 12:50: What exactly would the US be defending in Iraq for 100yrs. Your right to drive a gas guzzling SUV perhaps? The right to dump billions to rebuild Iraq while our bridges collapse and people lose their homes? How will John McCain get these hundred year volunteers without a draft? Face it Mccain has no reason to keep our troops there, and neither did Bush.

Before you fire off on insulting e-mail about my not being patriotic, I was a US Marine for 12 yrs. 1981-1993. I served in Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I resent our troops being sent there again because Daddy Bush didn't go after Saddam the first time when he had the chance and the allies were behind us. If wanting peace makes me a spineless lib I will wear the banner proudly. It's easy to sit at your computer spouting your rhetoric when someone else's child lies in Arlingtopn.

June 17, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  15. Rich

Here is a question for all those McCain loyalists. Where is his flag pin? I haven't seen him with one for a long time. Did he loose his patriotism? It isn't a single event either. He just stopped wearing it.

You were all over Obama for not wearing one. Oh by the way, he is wearing one again. But you won't go after him? Are you loosing your patriotism too?

June 17, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  16. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

"Alvin June 17th, 2008 1:26 pm ET

Who cares. No Obama EVER!"
    -----------------
    If you want McCain, then you can have him. Vote for who you think is best.

I just figured that the old guys have messed things up so badly the past 8 years, that maybe it's time to give the new guy a try. I doubt that he'd be able to mess things up any worse than Bush. Nobody's that stupid.

But that's just me. :)

June 17, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  17. DeNel - Dallas, TX

Sen McCain, my son Nicholas is five years old and you can't have him either.

My family and I are sick of the war, unjustified gas prices, decrease home value, tax breaks for the wealthiest. We are ready for a change.

Change takes courage that God has blessed all of us with.

June 17, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |