June 17th, 2008

Underwhelming post-Clinton bounce for Obama

Obama is leading McCain in the latest CNN Poll of Polls.
Obama is leading McCain in the latest CNN Poll of Polls.

(CNN)— Barack Obama is leading John McCain in the first General Election CNN Poll of Polls since Hillary Clinton ended her presidential bid.

Obama is ahead of McCain by five points, 46 percent to 41 percent. That’s up one point from Friday’s poll of polls, which showed the Illinois senator leading McCain 47 percent to 43 percent.

CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said, “Hillary Clinton's decision to suspend her campaign and endorse Obama seems to have produced little or no bounce for Obama.”

The fact that Obama’s lead did not increase more significantly since Clinton ended her campaign and endorsed the Illinois senator is “an indication that Clinton supporters may need more than one speech to rally behind the party's nominee,” said Holland. “Since the end of January, Obama's edge in the weekly Poll of Polls has always been in the low single digits, but it's worth noting that he has consistently been ahead of McCain week after week for about four months.”

The national General Election poll of polls has no sampling error and consists of three surveys conducted between June 12 and June 16: Gallup (June 14-16), Cook/RT Strategies (June 12-15), and ABC/Washington Post (June 12-15).

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Robert

Did Loretta from California actually mention the AOL straw poll? It's an online poll that stracks which random people click yes or no on a site. According to that poll McCain wins Oregon. That's a laugh

June 17, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. sylvia

Hillary had more of the popular vote so one could expect this result I think. The public and especially the news media seems to have forgotten that fact. Hillary was definitely the more experienced candidate and I don't really understand the democratic party as it acts undemocratically to me ( ha) Seems Hillary was the winner all the way down the line and then Obama just flew in and scooped up the
    whole thing thanks in part to that iodiot Howard Dean. If on paper one were looking at both Hillary and obama and did not know gender or age or anything, I am sure for the biggest job in the world Hillary would have been that pick. I con't understand the "rock star" stuff about Obama. This is serious business here...not a rock concert...

June 17, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  3. darren

lol Obama doesn't need Hillary, but you dems need Barack, y?
    because without him, you will continue to suffer without proper healthcare, no money in your pockets...and high gas prices....go on..play with your future.... i dare you.

June 17, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  4. Archie H.

The old CNN polling propaganda game ! You can manipulate or make them up so long as the desired illusional outcome is broadcast !

June 17, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. Silence Dogood

The DNC candidate should be WAY ahead at this point, after Bush's horrible approval rating. This is a case of picking the candidate that makes you gag less. The Empty Preppy Suit or the Old War Guy.

June 17, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  6. Mabel in Cleve.

Shame on Hillary supporters. I backed Hillary until just prior to the OH primary. I switched because I became so impressed with Obama, not angry at Hillary. Then I started to see her true character. I was very disappointed in her/Bill, and would have regretted voting for her. Hillary (aka Lucretia Borgia) must take responsibility for expopsing her own dark soul. She destroyed herself with her own mouth (venom).

What many are not saying publicly is that they just cannot palate the thought of a black man as president when it was a white woman's turn ! I as a woman cannot afford to allow McCain to turn the clock back on Roe v. Wade, etc. I trust that Obama has the character and judgment to do the right thing. I never thought I'd say it, but it truly is time to turn the page on the Clintons and move beyond their pettiness, vindictiveness and blaming. The country does not owe her the presidency !

PS– Don't be fooled, readers. Many of these negative Obama comments from "Hillary supporters" are really republicans / Operation Chaos. Dems- don't be suckered again by pranksters and swift-boat saboteurs.

June 17, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  7. Chipster

With more than 10% of the voters undecided, these polls are really meaningless. Wake me when it gets to a <4% margin of erro.

June 17, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  8. keep spinning maybe yoy will stopp

you guys and the news spins are really something to see and watch all this bull chip being tossed about on stations radios and the like today you hateful people are really afraid that things are finnaly looking as though they will get back on track you guys are so use to and have profited big from all this corruption you feel as if the play ground is being closed well it is so your corrupted life style will finally have to give account and you just don't know what to do and how you will make it out here living an honest life by honest means. so you sprew this hate and fear because the playgroung is being closed

June 17, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  9. EDW

CELL PHONES.
    The fired up group between the ages of 18 and 38 use their CELL PHONES. You can't call me and ask me if I am voting for Obama because I don't use a home phone number.

CELL PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  10. Ohio Citizen

It's interesting that with all of the posts from those who will not vote for Obama he still leads in the poll. Are you folks claiming undecided? If you aren't then your threats are not carrying much weight. You are already counted in McCains percentage.

You all are making Hillary look like a fool. How can she claim leadership of such a huge block of supporters without being ablt to influence them? Most of you are liars. You aren't so much for Hillary as you are against the other candidate. Be honest about why that is.

June 17, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  11. Rick

Not only will many of us Clinton supporters not vote for Obama, many of us including me, will be voted for McCain (no matter what the press says)!

June 17, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  12. An American

McCain got the Bush dump after he was seen with the Shrub so take that CNN!

June 17, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  13. Concerned INDEPENDENT CT voter

BTW... Polls mean nothing.... I have a poll to...

lets be real.... June does Not = Nov....

I'm starting to resent both sides supporters.... Look at what makes sense before you start letting polls decide your mood....

I can tell you this... Anything can happen at any moment... Tomorrow is NEVER promised... So No one can 100% protect you from aweful occurrences.... No Man can Save you.... We live by Grace... all of us... DO NOT allow fear to control your votes... This means everyone who buys into much of what Republicans want you to believe...

DEM are not much better either... the world is NOT rainbows and sunshine... where you can play all day & other countries will respect everyone...

-V

June 17, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. Nancy McKinney

ummmm, didn't the primary fight like JUST end last week?!?!

can we give the man some time to breath?!?!!? jeez!

plus, WE HAVE 5 FIGGIN MONTHS!! CHILL OUT!!!

DEMOCRATS ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. John

It will only continue to go down. There was no bounce from us CLinton supporters.

THis EMPTY SUIT is unacceptable!!!

No Clinton as Vp = No Obama Presidency

Dont kid yourself obamabots and MSM your Presidency is in the hands of us CLinton supporters whom you have treated with sucj UNTHINKABLE UNFORGIVABLE DISRESPECT!!!

June 17, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. Beverly, NYC

Slow and steady wins the race CNN. After the long primary season I am a little burned out on both candidates. After the first debate or Town Hall against McCain you will see a real bounce in Obama's numbers.

June 17, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. rj

The downward slide of Hussein Oh-Blah-Blah has begun.
    Expect it to continue right to November as the Republicans in the weeks ahead dig up more dirt on Michelle, while Hillary/Billary stay very quiet, strategizing for '12.

June 17, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. Nate

I still don't understand what the Hillary Clinton supporters are upset about. I was a Hillary Clinton supporter. While I think she's a great candidate or rather was a great candidate I think she lost focus on how to play the game. I really think they thought they could take the machine that got Bill Clinton into power and simply switcharoo him with Hillary. I really wish she would have dismantled the machine and ran on her own merrits with her own people- people who understand who she is and what she represents- people who would take orders from her instead of trying to decide what she'd do. She would have been able to break with the Clinton scandals of the past and reintroduced herself. She would have found her message and voice and won easily. But as things turned out I believe she turned on her principles. Once that happened I began to fear what she represented. Obama is now standing in to fight for the things she would fight for. McCain has already surrendered his principles- he's caved to the right. If any person thought they were a Clinton supporter and could vote for McCain you're not thinking clearly. They stand on other ends of the spectrum.

June 17, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  19. I love America

If bitter Clintonistas put somehow put McCain in the White House, they will have to explain to their granddaughters someday why abortion is illegal and explain to their grandsons why they are being drafted to fight in the never-ending Iraq war.

June 17, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  20. I drank the KoolAid

/blind /worship

Obama '08

June 17, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  21. MD

I am fed up with your polls. You don't say how many people were polled, what political affiliation they had, or the margin of error. This so called news report is worthless.

The Best Political Team on Television (LOL) is surely dropping the ball.

June 17, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  22. peakarach,des moines,IA

ALL 18 MILLION OF HILLARY SUPPORTER FOR MCCAIN IN NOV.

MCCAIN 08!
    HILLARY 12!

June 17, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  23. Mike

Seeing as Clintondroids are continuously accusing Obama of disrespecting Senator Clinton, why is it that they continue to blatantly ignore the fact that Obama is defending her? Why do they constantly ignore the fact that Both Obama and Clinton are calling for Party unity – for respect and admiration? It's because it's not the fact that he defeated a Clinton, it's not because he "disrespected" her, it's because they just hate the man. It's this hatred that has fueled America's darkest days. I honestly thought we were past this, but it's evident that I am wrong.

Oh, and "Down with Obama", you really need to explain what you're trying to say when you're saying that this is "Obamabot" news. They are saying that he's gotten minimal support from Clintondroids since HIllary suspended her campaign – how is this good news to us?!

June 17, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  24. No More Clintons, CA

Hillary has done a great job cultivating a bunch of bitter supporters and damaging Obama the best she could. However, Obama will bounce back. At least, now Obama has only one Republican to beat, not two as presented by Hillary.

June 17, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |