June 17th, 2008

Obama praises new hire - estranged ex-Clinton campaign manager

(CNN) – Barack Obama had high praise Tuesday for Hillary Clinton’s former campaign manager, who recently joined his campaign as chief of staff for his yet-unnamed running mate.

“Patti Solis Doyle I think is a terrific, experienced campaign hand,” Obama told reporters aboard his campaign plane. “She’s from Chicago. Her brother and I organized on the southeast side of Chicago when I first moved to Chicago as a community organizer, so I’ve known the family for a very long time.”

“I think that she will bring not only a set of skills that we're going to need as we put our ticket together but she’s going to be a terrific adviser and offer insight and judgment that will help us," Obama added.

CNN’s Jessica Yellin reported Monday that the Clinton campaign is angry about the hire. Solis Doyle left the campaign in February after a string of disappointing primary results and rumors surfaced before Clinton even bowed out that Solis Doyle would join the Obama campaign.

On his plane Tuesday, Obama also addressed the boos for Clinton he tried to silence at a rally in Michigan on Monday night.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ellie in Aurora, CO

Now watch the Republican trollers try to stir division on this blog by pretending to be offended Hillary lovers ...

June 17, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  2. Barney, TN

“When I got out there I shut that down, and made very clear that Senator Clinton deserves respect. She ran a great race and we are moving forward because we want to win in November,” said Obama. “You know I think people were still in primary mindset, and we're moving into general election mindset.”–Barack Obama

Barack sounds like the kind of leader I want.

OBAMA 08

June 17, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  3. Ito, Yokosuka Japan

Clinton continues to show how "all about her" she is. God I hope she does not weasle her way into the VP slot.

June 17, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  4. Susan

Is there still such a thing as a 'Clinton campaign'?

Patti was fired four months ago and now was hired by someone else. Clearly, Senator Obama felt she had skills to bring to her position, so he brought her onboard.

I am in a general election mindset and can't see how anyone could be upset by this news.

June 17, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  5. Todd

She probably is the one that sabatoged the Clinton's for this very reason. What a mockery!

I wish her well, and Obama well, he is going to need all the support he can get without a majority of the Hillary supporters!

June 17, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  6. McCain 08

we dont need Hillary or her screaming women to win this election.

McCain 08

June 17, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  7. Brian

I wish everyone would grow up. Yes! There are things that the Clinton campaign did that I didn't agree with, but as Mr. Obama has stated she deserves our respect as a person and an American. Whatever it is that bothers you about Hiliary, let it go. Let the good in you show and be forgiving as GOD would want you to be. Let's stand together and WIN this election.

June 17, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  8. Heidi

HELLO PEOPLE. HILLARY HAS A JOB TO BACK TO. REMEMBER SHE IS A SENATOR.

WELCOME ABOARD PATTI. AND ALL OTHER DEMOCRATIC WILLING TO ENSURE SEN OBAMA IS OUR NEXT PRESIDENT.

June 17, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. McCain 08

I wish Clinton would go away. Whatever happens after this election, she is finished in meaningful politics. We do not need your supporters to win this election.

June 17, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  10. Judy

"Patti Solis Doyle I think is a terrific, experienced campaign hand" says Obama, does he not realize that she is also not a loyal person or one that can take responsibility for her actions. This woman was Clintons campaign manager and left "after a string of disappointing primary results". If Doyle did not beleive in Clinton's campaign than she should never have taken the job to begin with. She sounds bitter because Clinton expected her to do the job she was hired for and Doyle failed.
    "A top Democrat close to Solis Doyle told Yellin that Solis Doyle would not have accepted the job if she believed Clinton would be Obama's choice for vice president." if this statement is true than Obama is again showing that he does not care about Clinton's supporters who still beleive in her. I am trying to find a reason to vote for Obama however; if he and his supporters do not show that they have better judgement than I am not sure what I will do on election day, I find it hard to have respect for people who have no respect for others (example; Obama supporters booing when Clinton's name is mentioned), by hiring Doyle Obama has hired a person who showed disrespect Clinton out of biterness.

June 17, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  11. CD

Obama get real and stop being such a gentleman for goodness sake. This is politics and you have to be tough on those who mean you harm. You downfall will be your humanitarism. Please get a life and stop being so nice because we don't love nice guys in this country.

Go BAM!

June 17, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  12. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

Good Job Obama! Take The Best Out Of The Clinton Camp And Leave The Rest! Put Together The Best Team You Can To Win In November!

June 17, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  13. john williams san diego, ca.

Democrats...Always remember–it's all about bubba and hillary, or is it all about hillary?..35 years of entitlement down the drain because of her pathological lying.

June 17, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  14. proud former republican for obama-[obamacan]

mccain is un-american.i can no longer support a man who knows nothing about our constitutional rights,and who supports regimes that torture and imprisons people indefinitely.i am ashamed of my former party.they have become what they set out to conquer.

June 17, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  15. Sandy

Is it me or did the Clinton campaign go negative after Ms Solis' departure?

June 17, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. mary

Amen! Brian
    I am with you. God will seat the government. Everything is for a reason.
    Whatever God decides will be, so be it.

June 17, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  17. pam Eugene OR

Great move Barack. Now that is smart thinking.

June 17, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  18. BROOKLYN

To ALL of you who continue to disrespect Senator Clinton and her supporters... He needs her, she DOES NOT need him...

He will NEVER get out votes without her and you all might just get used to that...

Stop the idiotic remarks.

June 17, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  19. laura toman

I think senator Obama made a grave mistake with that hire. A it looks like this person could have possibly been for Obama while working for Clinton, and sabatoging her campaign, and he is making a very big error in the fact that people really do not beleive that he is experienced enough to run the country. He may have had a very intellegent campaign that figured out logistically how to win, with open primaries, and caucus's and states where republicans would vote against Senator Clinton in a heart beat, but the true blue states did not go to Obama and I do not understand why people do not see that. He is not going to make history and change the "map" he is going to lose. I have never voted republican in my life, but I cannot vote for him. I will be taking a good look at Senator Mccain. He should have come out right away, united the party and put her on the ticket......big big mistake!

June 17, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  20. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

Clinton Conspiracy Believers Are Going To Be All Over This One!

June 17, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  21. darren

Judy, omg she lost...can we move on....i love women but yall r so irrational sometimes...this is so middle school!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  22. Charlotte

I really don't get how the Clinton Supporters are upset that Obama picked Doyle while in the very same breath they say that Obama MUST pick Clinton.
    How can you insist that Obama pick and therefore work with Clinton and then say that Obama can not insist that Clinton be willing to work with someone that SHE picked to help run her campaign at one time.

This is just another example of how immature and petty some of her supporters are. And I thought Obama was suppose to be getting all the young, no nothing about politics voters.

June 17, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  23. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

TAKE THE BEST LEAVE THE REST!

June 17, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  24. John Smith

I just can't wait until McCain (Bush) gets into office. Was this not the type of debate that got George Bush to the White House on two occasions?

Given that we know the RESULTS of that debate today, by all means, let us get MCain into the Oval office so that Bush can complete his mission!

Good luck to the "bitter" Hillary supporters, I hope I never hear them complain about a McCain-Bush administration or policy!

June 17, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  25. TheTruthHurts

This probably won't get posted, but Hillary has indicated that she supports Obama and the only issue she should have with this hire is whether Doyle is good enough to help make a good choice.

Secondly, you nutballs that think Barack is stupid enough to tell Doyle that he wouldn't pick HRC at this point are delusional. Even if he won't pick Clinton, he's not telling anyone and certainly not her former campaign manager.

I'm also suspect of these "quotes" attributable to her about only taking the job if HRC was off the table. I don't seriously that was said. I don't doubt that there is bad blood between her and Clinton.

Things like that happen when you get FIRED. People seem to forget that Hillary hired this woman for a reason. It should be a complement that Barack sees value in the same person.

June 17, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |